Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

2013 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3 liter

Just wandering if this is too much for my truck? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_204345.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	181982
Mport10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

IMHO that weighs approx 2,000lbs too much. Having towed with a little truck, a 1/2 ton truck and now a dually diesel I personally cap the comfortable weight for a 1/2 ton truck at approx. 6,000 lbs.

A trailer that can weigh 8,000lbs requires a bigger truck.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #3

Reread the specs...dry weight of 8,300lbs. If I read that right the trailer can weigh 10,000lbs wet.

That is for sure way too big and heavy for a 1/2 ton truck.

Sure, I would use a 1/2 ton truck to move the trailer a few miles on back roads. But towing a 10,000lb. 37' long trailer on the highway....that will be a white knucked experience that probably belongs on YouTube.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 2012 and regardless of what the tow capacity of the truck says a 7000 lb gross weight bumper pull is all it wanted and it was not a relaxing experience to pull that even. It isn't all about the numbers it is more about the towing experience. You do not want to have your tow vehicle at it's max. Towing that way ruins the relaxation that camping is supposed to bring and limits where you can go. The salesman at an rv place tried to sell me a 30' Outback that weighed 9900 dry and said he would pull it with my 1/2 ton all day no problem. I never went back to that dealership.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with both those posts and would add that a 37' trailer is a real handful in the wind even with a properly sized tow vehicle. I would be going with a 5th wheel if I needed to go that long.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I had a 2012 and regardless of what the tow capacity of the truck says a 7000 lb gross weight bumper pull is all it wanted and it was not a relaxing experience to pull that even. It isn't all about the numbers it is more about the towing experience. You do not want to have your tow vehicle at it's max. Towing that way ruins the relaxation that camping is supposed to bring and limits where you can go. The salesman at an rv place tried to sell me a 30' Outback that weighed 9900 dry and said he would pull it with my 1/2 ton all day no problem. I never went back to that dealership.
ABSOLUTELY...100% CORRECT ON ALL POINTS!!! Been there done that when I bought my first TT at age 25...NEVER AGAIN! Don't even consider pulling that rig with that pickup...you WILL NOT be happy.

Mr Racer hit the nail on the head...a huge part of the RVing experience is the Relaxation you feel when under way. The actual towing of my 37' fiver with my one ton diesel is a HUGE ENJOYMENT for me...I love it. if you are stressed during your travels YOU will not enjoy the trip. Take our word for it...get a bigger TV or smaller TT that's WELL WITHIN your tow limits!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

Too much trailer for the truck. Unloaded hitch weight does not include propane tanks, battery, water if carrying any. My guess, you'll be near 1400 lbs loaded for a trip.

I tow a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS with a 2016 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. 37'-11", 8995 UVW, 11,000 GVW. Had a 1/2 ton Silverado towing a TT that was 6500 lbs loaded. Wouldn't have wanted much more than that. I would never attempt to pull my Reflection with a 1/2 ton, except for maybe across the street.

BTW, with a Blue OX hitch, this 38 ft TT tows very nicely, unaffected by passing semis and gusty sidewinds. Part of this is due to the mass of the tow vehicle and good weight distribution.
Chiefblueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am about as close to the max i want with my 1/2 ton. My max is 6800 gvwr on the trailer and my half ton handles it just fine but any more than that i would be looking at a 3/4 ton. Mine is a 30 footer but what they call a lightweight. I don't have to white knuckle it, But thats a 5th wheel so maybe that would make it do different. I have been around tractor trailers and construction sites truck worked perfect and no handling issues at all. I know i am pushing the max out of my tow rig but I have done a few things to help it out. Nothing on the front or rear, But i did add air shocks and when on the first trip i found out i didn't need them!! Motor and transmission got most of the work. I would take this trailer anywhere with my truck anytime! But i say again, I am pretty much at max on weight. I wouldn't want a bigger trailer for this truck!! In your case i am not sure if i would want to tow a 37 footer with a 3/4 ton truck. Thats a lot of trailer for even a 3/4 ton. I am thinking a 1 ton would be better for that load If it was a 5th wheel a 3/4 ton might work ok but a tail draggier I would want the 1 ton. Best of luck, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #9

I agree. too much trailer. I have a 2017 1500 sierra 5.3 and it barely pulls my 246RKS that is said to weigh 4700# dry and hitch wt. of about 500#. we carry very little extra stuff in the truck or trailer and there are only the two of us in the truck. I use tow/haul mode and dont go over 70. the truck does ok on flat roads but I see 3000 rpms on any incline. hilly roads and some wind make it a whippin.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #10

I have a 2008 Silverado 5.3 Crew Cab with all the factory tow options, HD suspension and added rear air bags. We towed a 29' Forest River TT with a GVWR of 7700# (although we never loaded it to that) with a Reese cam-lock WD/anti-sway system. Although I could tow that setup comfortably, there is no way it could tow what you are proposing. I can't imagine you would even be within limits as, at best with the right rear end, you have a 10,000 Lb tow rating, 15,000 lb, combined rating and your truck weighs almost 5000 lb empty. Add the tongue weight of 1000 lb, your weight, your DW's weight and a tank of gas and you're probably over the 6400 lb GVRW for the truck.

Bigger truck or smaller trailer is what you need.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #11

exactly. the specs on my 5.3 sierra say I can tow 9100# but no way I would want to.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mport10377 View Post
Just wandering if this is too much for my truck? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Attachment 181982
Yep to much trailer. I have a 2016 5.3 and many decades experience driving truck so I'm not afraid to pull what my rig is rated for. Many recommend staying 10 to 20% below factory ratings but that is bunk! In many instances you can be 20% under ratings and still be over rated weights!

There are many things to consider, especially payload. You can find calculators online that will assist you in determining your max tow weights.

These trucks are tested for stopping power and ability to handle the loads they're rated for. My 2016 1500 factory rated at 9400 would still be overweight even if I left a 10% safety margin. My truck is rated at 8076 per calculator and my passenger wts. I don't carry anything in my truck other than people and a 20lb tool box, really helps on keeping payload at or below specs. Your engine will wind up climbing up hills, this is normal, no big deal as long as your engine is well maintained. I pulled my brothers Minnie Plus 6300 dry 75 wet and was legal and safe. For me that is about the limit and coincidentally, the manufacturer's ratings and online calculator pretty much agree. When they give the specs they don't say, you can tow x amount but you'll be on the edge burning up you're truck and tranny! The standards agreed to by all mfgs. state the max wts. you can SAFELY tow and stop the vehicle while towing within ratings! I have good weight distribution and anti sway bars and it pulls and stops easily. Some folks freak out when their engine starts hitting 3000 rpms, they are newbies to towing. We camped all the time when I was a kid, that Ford galaxy would be screaming as we climbed the grapevine. Of course, bigger is better and more comfortable, but with a pro pride 3p hitch and staying within all specs your truck will do more than many on this forum belive and do it safely. Don't listen to salesmen, get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control, stay within ratings and have fun!
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote