Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
It would appear, the factory brake controller indicates Equipment Group 202A, which includes the HD Trailer Tow Package.

+Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package includes Class IV hitch receiver, 7- and 4-pin connectors, heavy-duty auxiliary transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty radiator, electronic brake wiring kit and integrated trailer brake controller

Page 10:
https://www.ford.com/services/assets...stalCode=65613

If it doesn't have 202A, but does have the factory brake controller, then it still likely has HD trailer tow package listed above, so he should be good to go.

The 3.5L Ecoboost is a beast. Just remember it's known for more "Boost" than "Eco".

3.5L Ecoboost V6
365 HP @ 5,000 RPM
420 ft/lbs Torque @ 2,500 (2,250 in brochure), RPM (This approaches old-school big block/diesel torque numbers)
-
Assuming everyone knows the deal, but the 3.5L Ecoboost has two very small turbochargers that spin up quick and provide boosted power beginning at lower rpms. Torture tested by Ford, and other than a few early glitches, if not modified, seem to be favorable.

5,4L V8
227 HP @ 4,250 RPM
325 TQ @ 3,000 RPM

So, he gains nearly 100 ft/lbs torque, which we love when towing, and almost 140 HP. It should be a night/day difference.
Dave is there a way to ID if the vehicle has the 202 add on ahead of time? I tried using a window sticker lookup but can't get them to work.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #16

If it's at a Ford dealer, or if you have a contact at your Ford dealer, they should be able to run the VIN for either a window sticker, or using the ETIS system a 'build sheet' or options list.

Pulling from the 2015 brochure, I suppose you could check off the options listed in the 202A group:

Equipment Group 202A – Includes select content of 201A + heated and cooled front seats with 10-way power passenger seat + leather trim with perforated inserts on 1st- and 2nd-row seats + power-tilt/-telescoping steering column + memory feature for driver’s seat, power-adjustable pedals, steering column and sideview mirrors + Remote Start System + dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control + SYNC with MyFord Touch® with 8" color LCD touch screen in center stack, two 4.2" color LCD configurable displays in instrument cluster, and media hub with 2 USB ports, SD card reader and audio input jack + Audio System from Sony® with subwoofer + leather-wrapped shift knob + 110-volt power outlet + ambient lighting + integrated sideview mirror turn signal indicators +Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow...

Chrysler and Ram make the VIN window sticker a cinch, not sure why Ford is so stingy...
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I loved my 2012 F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine with the "highway" gearing of 3.15 e-locker axle. Towed a 5k TT all over the county, from back east to way out west. One trip of over 300 miles over the central Texas Hill Country towing a full-size backhoe and grossing 27,500 pounds with no problems at all. That pickup with about 70k miles had never seen a shop for anything other than oil changes, flat tires, and new tires.

The only reason I traded my 2012 for a new 2019 was to get more payload capacity. The 2012 with only 70k miles was nowhere near worn out, but I was overloaded by 100 pounds over the payload capacity of the 2012 when towing my wet and loaded TT. The 2019 with alloy bed has about 400 pounds more payload capacity than the 2012, so I won't be overloaded on long trips. I don't like being overloaded, even by a little bit.
27 500 lbs GVWR on a F150? Are you kidding me? Overweight much?

On the next paragraph you state you don't like being overloaded? I sure hope that was a typo. Sure a pickup could pull the space shuttle on flat ground if need be. It is not something safe nor conducive to vehicle durability, that's for sure.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #18

Quote:
If it's at a Ford dealer, or if you have a contact at your Ford dealer, they should be able to run the VIN for either a window sticker, or using the ETIS system a 'build sheet' or options list.

Pulling from the 2015 brochure, I suppose you could check off the options listed in the 202A group:

Equipment Group 202A – Includes select content of 201A + heated and cooled front seats with 10-way power passenger seat + leather trim with perforated inserts on 1st- and 2nd-row seats + power-tilt/-telescoping steering column + memory feature for driver’s seat, power-adjustable pedals, steering column and sideview mirrors + Remote Start System + dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control + SYNC with MyFord Touch[emoji2400] with 8" color LCD touch screen in center stack, two 4.2" color LCD configurable displays in instrument cluster, and media hub with 2 USB ports, SD card reader and audio input jack + Audio System from Sony[emoji2400] with subwoofer + leather-wrapped shift knob + 110-volt power outlet + ambient lighting + integrated sideview mirror turn signal indicators +Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow...

Chrysler and Ram make the VIN window sticker a cinch, not sure why Ford is so stingy...
I'm about 99% sure its has the 202 group just based on the list. It's not at a Ford dealer so I'm stuck there. I tried the online lookup but most of those don't work now. I can't be with him to crawl under it to check for the coolers so I'm hoping he can take see them through the grill. I'm hoping the 7/4 pin plug is there cus that should be a dead give away that's easy to see.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
When we towed TTs over a 12-year period we had two Tahoe TVs and then switched to a V8 powered Expedition EL. It was a big improvement over the Tahoe TVs. Our final TV was a 2015 Expedition EL with the Ecoboost V6. It was a fantastic TV and was so much better than the V8 EL.

We towed a 5400lb Arctic Fox 25S with the Ecoboost EL.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #20

The dealer was able to pull itClick image for larger version

Name:	Attach17967_20190524_154015.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	247121
Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
I'm about 99% sure its has the 202 group just based on the list. It's not at a Ford dealer so I'm stuck there. I tried the online lookup but most of those don't work now. I can't be with him to crawl under it to check for the coolers so I'm hoping he can take see them through the grill. I'm hoping the 7/4 pin plug is there cus that should be a dead give away that's easy to see.
As far as I can tell, factory brake controller means "done deal" on heavy duty towing package. 202A includes same, but bonus other features...
Old 05-25-2019, 04:14 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
As far as I can tell, factory brake controller means "done deal" on heavy duty towing package. 202A includes same, but bonus other features...
The only reason it might not be is that it might be possible to add the brake controller as a dealer installed option. I know it can be added to the 4th gen Expeditions at the dealer...
shane_the_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
The dealer was able to pull itAttachment 247121
Hey, nice truck there, EL, XLT, 202A, (includes HD Towing Package), Navigation, daytime running lights.

Bet he'll love that one after owning a Navigator.
2015 Expedition Specs. Shows EL to have 3.31 gear ratio. (3.73 optional only non-EL and EL 4x2) The six-speed trans ratios should work fine with that 3.31.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...tion_Specs.pdf
Old 05-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #24

Only down side I can think of to the EL is I bet the extra weight is going to eat into the cargo capacity. The up side is he doesn't put much in the vehicle and his TW is about 600lbs.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #25

I'm towing a 6,000 lb TT with my 2013 Expedition EL (5.4L Triton). So I can totally see how a 4K TT would do better.

My one piece of advice is to switch out the P-series tires for LT at your earliest opportunity. I was chasing wiggles for the first couple of years with my rig. Changing to LTs definitely gave me a more stable foundation to work from.

Best regards,
Chris

PS - Crates for our 2 whippets ride in the back of the Expy. Love the fold-flat setup.
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #26

He ended up buying the rigi pulled the trailer around a little after setting up his hitch. Low end power is nice
Old 05-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post

My one piece of advice is to switch out the P-series tires for LT at your earliest opportunity.
Bad advise unless qualified by stating that any LT tire mounted on a trailer MUST be rated for either trailer service or all-position service. "All-position" service includes steer, drive, and trailer axles, so it's rated for trailer service.

Most LT tires are NOT rated for trailer service or all-position service. For example. the popular Michelin Defender LTX is not rated for trailer service.

The Michelin XPS is one of the few LT tires rated for trailer service.
https://www.michelintruck.com/tires-...r/info/xps-rib

Notice the website is Michelin "truck" dot com. The Michelin XPS is also included on the MichelinMan website for car tires, but no mention that it's a commercial truck tire rated for all position service. If a Michekub tire is not included on the MichelinTruck website, then it is not rated for trailer service.

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...&zipCode=79782

Goodyear has a similar tire, available in the same 16" sizes, I don't know about other bands, but be sure if you switch to LT tires that the new tires are rated for trailer service.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Bad advise unless qualified by stating that any LT tire mounted on a trailer MUST be rated for either trailer service or all-position service. "All-position" service includes steer, drive, and trailer axles, so it's rated for trailer service.

Most LT tires are NOT rated for trailer service or all-position service. For example. the popular Michelin Defender LTX is not rated for trailer service.

The Michelin XPS is one of the few LT tires rated for trailer service.

https://www.michelintruck.com/tires-...r/info/xps-rib

Notice the website is Michelin "truck" dot com. The Michelin XPS is also included on the MichelinMan website for car tires, but no mention that it's a commercial truck tire rated for all position service. If a Michekub tire is not included on the MichelinTruck website, then it is not rated for trailer service.

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...&zipCode=79782

Goodyear has a similar tire, available in the same 16" sizes, I don't know about other bands, but be sure if you switch to LT tires that the new tires are rated for trailer service.
I think he meant on the TV