Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I've owned several of each; suspension is not the axle - they are different components.

....as I said IFS has advantages, but the solid axle IS simpler, cheaper to repair with less to go wrong. I've never had a single solid axle front end failure in any of my fleet vehicles in the last 30 years...If you want to say that your IFS truck has a nicer ride, I won't argue but if you want to try to convince me that your GM IFS front end is stronger, simpler or cheaper to repair than a Dana 60....well, you'd just be wrong.

Dave
Ifs - independent front suspension
We are talking about suspension when talking solid front axle as they go hand in hand. All I know is, it may be cheap to fix a ford front end over and over and over again but I was sick of the downtime that comes with everything hooked to the solid front axle.

2021 Vengeance Rogue 371
Kschumake83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 06:05 PM   #44

The point is that whatever issues you had with your Ford were Ford issurs, not solid axle issues. ��
Old 01-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #45

Many modern 4wd vehicles can apply brake to the low traction wheel and transfer power to the other wheel. With a front locker engaged, each of the front wheel will receive 50% of the front end power. If your vehicle has a good traction control system, the tire with traction can have 50-80% of the total front end power.

My old Toyota FJ Cruiser doesn’t have a front locker, but it has the Toyota A-TRAC system, which IMHO is better than a front locker.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #46

I thought those were called AWD and not 4WD vehicles. AWD vehicles usually have a lot more software intelligence built into the system like Subaru. Also many smart AWD systems will not let the wheels spin. I had an AWD Honda Ridgeline could not spin the tires.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #47

Many AWD vehicles actually perform better on snow than 4WD vehicles.

My old FJ Cruiser has an actual transfer case and a physical lever to engage 4WD just like the 4Runner and Tacoma. But it also comes with a rear locker and A-TRAC system. Awesome off-roader, horrible tow vehicle.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:31 PM   #48

I drove my AWD Ridgeline on a snowy road 20 miles to a Ford dealer to pick up a F-150 4x4. After driving the AWD Ridgeline on the snowy road I drove the F-150 4x4 back to my house.

The F-150 4x4 was lousy on snow. The Ridgeline was way better on snow. I had the F-150 with its dumb 4 wheel drive engaged (2 wheel actually - 1 front and 1 rear and get this, the tires with the least traction got the power).

I have driven 3 vehicles with AWD. A BMW X5 AWD, Honda Ridgeline AWD, Toyota Highlander AWD. All 3 were great in the snow. Almost too good actually.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:40 PM   #49

Yeah. Electronic system is great if they don’t break down. I actually drove more awd vehicles than 4wd vehicles. By my experience during snowy day, Audi allroad Quattro>Subaru Outback>Acura TLX>BMW X5. All are better than my old FJ Cruiser 4wd on snow, which won’t let you go over 40 mph. I haven’t gotten a chance to test out the F250 yet, but I don’t think it’s any better than the FJ. It’s virtually the same thing.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:21 AM   #50

I get what rblanch is saying. Although my 2 GM 4x4s don't have front lockers, they do seem to tend to pull both front wheels rather equally. Since I plow with my old truck, I get to see this very often. One wheel will spin freely a bit but they do grab very well in 4 wheel drive.

I have gotten the 5th wheel up a steep snowy embankment without a tow. I have plowed tons of snow for over 15 years now, I know how good traction is vs some other makes.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I get what rblanch is saying. Although my 2 GM 4x4s don't have front lockers, they do seem to tend to pull both front wheels rather equally. Since I plow with my old truck, I get to see this very often. One wheel will spin freely a bit but they do grab very well in 4 wheel drive.

I have gotten the 5th wheel up a steep snowy embankment without a tow. I have plowed tons of snow for over 15 years now, I know how good traction is vs some other makes.
Yea it may not be an official locker however I've never seen it spin only one tire. When I had my 2011 I pulled my 40' 5th wheel trailer into the mountains in Colorado to go Elk hunting. At one point one of the front wheels were off the ground an still both front wheels were spinning.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:41 AM   #52

I dont know how you guys are watching your front passenger wheel spin from the driver seat, but anyway, its an open diff. There are some aftermarket ls diffs available for the bigger one in the 2500/3500 trucks, but nothing at all for the half tons. If you spin them fast enough, theyll both spin no matter what kind of diff you have.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:59 AM   #53

Most vehicles already have VSC, the only thing they need is some coding to apply brake on the spinning wheel, that’s cheaper and better solution than a locker or LSD.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #54

I have tested this numerous times over the years. I simply check the skid marks on the ice or snow. Easy to see what's pulling and what's not.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After 4 death wobbles events in my ‘17 F350, with only 30,000 miles, 2 while towing on the interstate at 70 mph, and both the dealer owner and service manager saying it can’t be fixed, and Ford saying they would not help, I would not trust another Ford truck. My front end was completely rebuilt twice in 10,000 miles, but with Ford junk marginal parts. Check out how flimsy the so-called “heavy duty” components are. Crap compared to after market. Sooner or later an unsuspecting loyal Ford owner and his family will be killed in a death wobble caused crash. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #56

LOTS of incorrect info...

Death wobble in a straight axle Ford truck isn't caused by anything but the engineers changing Castor specs from the earlier trucks. Its not caused by anything else and a correctly done lift will not have a issue.

I have lifted countless '05 up trucks, installed the '05 up axles into almost every year Ford F250-350 and Excursion from 1995, none have any issues.

For a stock truck you can add 2-3* Castor eccentrics on the upper Ball joint. Costs about $100

Lifted trucks you can drop the Radius arm frame end down with the aftermarket bracket.

Best option for a 2"+ lifted truck is to add a 4 link from Pure Performance or Icon suspension. Then dial in your Castor to 4-6*. A added benefit is a much better ride quality as you get rid of the binding from the stock Radius arms.

Jeeps done correctly will not have a issue, one issue is inadequate Castor also.

Manufacturers build the newer '05 up trucks with less Castor maybe for easier steering...haven't clue its just a stupid idea.
They started to add Castor back around 2008-9 but still not enough.

Dodges can also benefit by going to a4 link kit and adding Castor.

Lots of crooks will sell ya band aids to fix the problem but their is only one fix add Castor.

Now all above is assuming your tie rods, ball joints, bushings and unit bearings etc. are all in good shape.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350