Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

2017 Dodge 2500 vs Ford F-150

I have a number of posts here about me buying a new Jayco and possibly pulling it with a new F150. I have concerns about the right truck to pull a 32 foot trailer. 6500 pounds empty.

The truck will be my daily driver too. It also must fit in my garage.

The two trucks seem to be around the same price. The Dodge might be cheaper. It is a 3/4 ton and so I M assuming it might have a larger payload and thus handle the trailer better.

Any of you debated between these two trucks? Any comments appreciated.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

3/4 over 1/2 = Win

Ram over Ford = Win

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Powderman, please share why.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #4

In the past I've had 2012 F150 Ecoboost and 2015 Ram 2500 6.4l.

Likes of 2500
Handled weights better
Towing confidence
Engine braking
Styling
Steel body

Likes of F150
Empty ride
Better economy ~2mpg empty better
More power lower in RPM band
More rear leg room.

2500 dislikes
Transmission gear ratios, big gap 1st to 2nd and not a very low 1st to begin with.
Empty ride is stiff, better if air down tires but have to live with TPMS warnings.

F150 dislikes
Almost no engine braking.
Very soft suspension.
I don't trust the all aluminum body yet. (2015+)

IF you go with a Ram hemi, get the 4.10 gears. The mpg loss is non existant yet it adds a lot of towing capacity. You may need to order to get one with this gearing. NO power wagon. They have less GVWR and towing capacity.

IF you go F150 I'd try to find or order the max tow/heavy duty payload combo.

Good luck.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
3/4 over 1/2 = Win

Ram over Ford = Win
based on what?

17 F150 payload range 1450 > 3270
Trailer rating 5000 > 12000

17 2500 payload range 1800 > 3060
Trailer rating 10600 > 18000

Need to pay attention to how the vehicle is optioned. That being said a bigger truck is always better.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Powderman, please share why.
A larger truck with more capacity is always better. I don't think many have or would disagree with that. Years ago I had a commercial truck with an aluminum body. After a time the dissimilar metals caused a lot of corrosion and problems. I see the same thing with the new 1/2ton Fords. They just havent been out long enough yet.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Aluminium body components are nothing new in the automotive world, many manufacturers have been using this metal for years without problems, BMW, Audi, Rolls-Royce, Jaguar to name a few. There are specific construction methods and repair methods when working with aluminium. Repairs to the body required tools that are only used on aluminium and a "clean room" for the repairs to take place. The problems of corrosion from dissimilar metals is a result of poor repair/ installation procedures.

Most manufacturers have specific requirements for repair of vehicles with the potential for corrosion from contact of aluminium and steel. Ford had fallen short of the mark when in comes to certifying bodyshops to repair impact damage on the new trucks, so it is owner beware and do your due diligence when it comes to your vehicle.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am not a professional truck driver. I am a good driver that tows a TT with a pickup. I want all the advantages I can get. A 2500 diesel gives me more advantages in normal driving and when things are not perfect like wind, rain, going down grades and just about everywhere. Not going to say you cant tow a TT with a 1500. Everyone has their own comfort range and some love the F150 towing. As long as I tow I will use a 2500. The ease and control are worth the cost and any other negatives to me. If you are willing and able to upgrade the F150 to a 2500 if you don't like it then you can give it a go.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

I can give you a real world experience towing the same 31', 7300lb loaded TT with a 2010 F150 and a 12 Ram 2500.
The F150 was an XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 5.4 6 sp and had the Max Tow with 1857lbs payload rating according to the door sticker.
The 12 Ram is a CTD 4x4 CC LB with 2176lbs payload rating according to door sticker.
The TT was a 2010 Heartland Northtrail 26LRSS.
WDH was an Equal-I-zer 10,000/1000lb with 4pt sway control.

I'm not going to get into the power or braking of either because it's not really fair to compare a diesel against a smaller V8 or V6 when towing.

With the F150 I was maxed out on the RAWR which was 4050lbs. I was at 4000lbs on the rear. I had a canopy and a bed full of camping gear. That along with the 900-950lb tongue weight pretty much ate up my payload.
I added Super Springs, LT Michelin tires and Rancho 9000 shocks. Yes they made a difference but not enough to feel that the truck was 100% in control of the TT.
Only difference that made a better tow was when I found a used Hensley Arrow hitch. It made the whole setup tow really stable. With the EQ WD the truck and TT never felt like they were one in the same. I got moved around by light winds too easy. Some of this could eb attributed to the TT which had the axles placed near the center. That allowed the TT to wander a bit. Having the TT axles more rearward would've eliminated that. And they were the s called Wide Trax axles spacing.

Moving up to the 12 Ram 2500 was like as they say "night and day". Side winds, overtaking semi's etc didn't faze the 2500. I eventually went to a standard WD and got an EAZ lift with no sway control. The 2500 towed it with zero issues for the last year we owned the TT. I hated the EQ because of the noise and grease.

I suppose too that having the longer WB in the Ram help. 169" vs 145". But the extra weight, sturdier suspension didn't hurt either.

Knowing what I know and have been thru if I were to get another TT and tow it with a 1/2 ton I wouldn't go any longer than 26-28' and 6000-6500lbs loaded and I'd make sure the 1/2 ton was equipped with at last the Max Tow.
But if I were looking to get both a truck and a TT and a 2500 would work as a daily driver then I wouldn't think twice about getting one.
I know others tow heavier and longer with 1/2 tons and that's fine. I'm just giving my seat of the pants opinion.

I will also add that I'm not a timid driver and don't get spooked very easy by truck or trailer movement. Heck I rode MC's for 12 years finishing up with a Goldwing that I towed a small cargo trailer with. You want to talk about getting moved around by semi's or side winds. Try passing a semi on the freeway riding 2 up towing a small cargo trailer. I was pushed 1-2' out and then sucked back in when I got to the front of the semi. I've been pushed clear into the other lane by strong side winds crossing the Oregon desert. Just trying to put it all perspective. I like to be able to run any speed out on the road. I don't like being held back because I don't feel in control. That's why I like a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. It gives you more control over more conditions.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #10

There are so, so many differences beyond what is on paper. The payload capacity can be misleading a bit as an example. Yes, newer F150s have payloads and tow ratings that are right in line with most (if not all) 250/2500 gas trucks but that is where the similarities end. The F150 with 2500+ lbs of payload is- even at full GVWR- likely lighter than an empty 250/2500. The 3000lbs of payload capacity in a 250/2500 will bring it to 10,000lbs of total vehicle weight compared to the 7000lbs (? just a guess guys, I don't have the data in front of me) of the F150. That's 10000lbs of vehicle in front of the trailer to control it rather than 7000. The frames in the HDs are far more overbuilt (less frame flexing), the brakes, the axles, the bearings, the transmission, the engine... everything. The reason they are a harsher ride and noisier running is because everything about them is (H)eavy (D)uty. Designed to be punished. The 2500 is larger- fitting in your garage may be a chore if it's possible at all. Pulling ANYTHING with the 2500 compared to my 1500 is a complete night and day difference. Even my 5500lbs 26' TT could at times be a chore if there was wind, passing semis or any adverse weather. With the 2500 I just set the cruise and let it eat and enjoy my coffee. My TT is significantly smaller than the one you are looking at.

I won't weigh in as to what is best for you. They are both/ all fine trucks and it is all personal preference. I came from a payload crippled 1500 (which I loved and still think was the best modern truck I have had) to a 2500 HD Gasser simply because I push them to the limits and I could tell I was beating on the 1500 too much. The 1500 limits were just a lot lower than the 2500. Am I happy with the decision? Not all the time, but I am satisfied I made the RIGHT decision and when I hook up my TT or the dump trailer or the deck with the skidsteer or need to haul some more material for my stonework hobby- then I am happy and reaffirm myself that I made the correct decision.

The choice is a tough one and I don't envy you. Be potentially marginal with a 150 but have a nicer daily driver that fits in your garage or potentially overbuilt with the 2500 with a little inconvenience but greater margin.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #11

Has the OP looked at the Titan XD?
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #12

Great comments. Thank you. I think the titan is not as capable as the 150. Did any of your dodges have the air suspension offered now?

Steve
Old 11-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Great comments. Thank you. I think the titan is not as capable as the 150. Did any of your dodges have the air suspension offered now?

Steve
No, I went with the coils as it is one less thing for me to break. I am kinda hard on these things. That said, I have read nothing but praise for the air on these things. Kind of regretting not getting that option. Head to one of the more popular ram forums, you'll get the good, the bad, and the ugly there.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #14

I only know two people personally who tow with newer Rams with the coil rear suspension. They almost drop to the ground when you put a heavy trailer on the hitch. Adding the air bags is mandatory.
Not necessary with brands that use leaf springs. The new Super Duty rides better than the 2500 and it handles more weight.
It's a big decision which make and model to choose when buying a new truck. Not easy but it is fun.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, ford