Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #57

why are folks still usng old style hitch

I am pretty new to the market, but i see alot oh hitch discussion... why isnt everyone using:
https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...anderson+hitch

it has worked great for us. granted, i never used one of the older style hitches, but having a regular box denali this has done well on our measly 8 trips since april when we got the 5er.
ckostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2018, 05:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rte1985 View Post
You won’t even know that trailer is back there! Nice truck and happy travels!
He is right about the trailer. Go big or go home.
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #59

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahEngineer View Post
Replaced the lower quality factory Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. It will be interesting to see if these new tires live up to the high rating they have for traction and higher miles before replacement.
Good choice. The factory tires are not rated for towing/heavy duty use, and are more of a passenger tire. Those who use them should go to a certified scale, fully loaded with trailer attached. you may find that you are exceeding the weight rating of the tire. I have used the "E" load rated Michelins for years, and love them. I use nothing else!
8210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #60

It’s awesom!
Kimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Hit the nail square on the head. Im not sure what other way that could have been interpreted. Gm makes a great truck but the "extras" that have been put on all the new trucks cut mileage and shorten engine life.
I write this with great sorrow, but the L5P (2017 and up) is the end of deletes and tuning for the foreseeable future. Ford and Ram are supposedly next. The new ecm is locked and un-tuneable. Also if you replace a part that links to the ecm (fuel pump, emission parts, ect) you will need a dealer to reflash the new part number in allowing the ecm to communicate. Soon we will all be locked out of working on our own vehicles altogether. There are aftermarket complete ecms available now but once you switch you have to be self sufficient as you are no longer running a factory program.

Sad but the end of an era is upon us it seems. I will enjoy my LML as long as I can.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #62

The aftermarket needs time to react.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
I write this with great sorrow, but the L5P (2017 and up) is the end of deletes and tuning for the foreseeable future. Ford and Ram are supposedly next. The new ecm is locked and un-tuneable. Also if you replace a part that links to the ecm (fuel pump, emission parts, ect) you will need a dealer to reflash the new part number in allowing the ecm to communicate. Soon we will all be locked out of working on our own vehicles altogether. There are aftermarket complete ecms available now but once you switch you have to be self sufficient as you are no longer running a factory program.

Sad but the end of an era is upon us it seems. I will enjoy my LML as long as I can.

The auto industry’s ECM lockout encryption coding is being driven by the US government and mandated emissions compliance ... not the auto manufacturer’s future parts sales. The government is simply trying to stop those circumventing the emissions systems on vehicles by rendering the vehicle inoperable. I am not stating my personal opinion on the matter ... just providing my personal insights.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #64

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The auto industry’s ECM lockout encryption coding is being driven by the US government and mandated emissions compliance ... not the auto manufacturer’s future parts sales. The government is simply trying to stop those circumventing the emissions systems on vehicles by rendering the vehicle inoperable. I am not stating my personal opinion on the matter ... just providing my personal insights.

yep big brother is getting serious with fines and all kinds of liability to the manufacturers ...but watch and see if the factory starts coming out with "tunes" or enhancements..
mercruiser has been doing it for years, you can buy a tune to boost hp or other parameters.

you watch the aftermarket take a minute and start finding ways to adjust
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #65

Quote:
Replaced the lower quality factory Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. It will be interesting to see if these new tires live up to the high rating they have for traction and higher miles before replacement.
I tow a 6K TT with a 2013 Ford Expedition. The first year was all about chasing serious wiggles going down the road. Getting our Andersen WDH properly installed and adding a hitch clamp were helpful, but the real improvement was ditching the P-series tires and getting the same Defender LTX you've added. The Ford's anti-sway system has not kicked in a single time since then. I'll trade a little noise and ride quality for stability any day.

Congrats on the new truck.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Our travel trailer only weighs 8,000 lbs loaded down, is not a 5vr, so this truck far surpasses our towing requirements. I previously towed our travel trailer with an F150 ... it would do it ... but nothing worse than sometimes feeling like the trailer is controlling you ... not the other way around as it should be.
Amen to that.

Good choice.
Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #67

Me too

Quote:
Broke down and purchased a 1-ton truck to tow our travel trailer.Attachment 219903
Curious, just ordered the same truck myself and would appreciate your feed back on your experiences with this truck. I,ll be pulling a 12000 lbs 5th wheel.

Thanks in advance for all feedback
Cook-Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #68

Thor Owners Club
2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4 Crew Cab SRW Duramax Diesel

It is a very nice truck ... but honestly ... I have a list of things I wish GM would have designed differently so I did not have to modify/ improve myself.

1. Location of the DEF fill spout. Location is under the hood on the passenger side against the firewall. Not sure if they could have designed a worse location for this. I purchased a $20 battery-operated pump to transfer from the Blue DEF 2.5 gallon plastic container to the fill spout location under the hood to avoid the filling mess I first experienced.

2. A factory cover for the transmission cooler. It is located in the center of the front bumper where there is an open hole and no protection. A rock could easily puncture the cooler and cause an unforeseeable problem while traveling. I added a black Putco grille style cover myself and actually looks like a factory part.

3. No factory leveling kit. The truck was 3.5 inches higher in the back than the front in stock form. I had to actually tilt my seat bottom down in the back to sit level while driving. Also had a hard time seeing vehicles in my rear view due to the butt-end of the truck being so much higher than the front. We all understand this is done so the truck sits level when you add the 3,500 lbs of payload to the back. But I fixed all of this by adding a quality leveling kit (with the proper spacers to drop the front differential returning the CV axles to the proper angles) ... and an aftermarket airbag self-leveling memory system to lift the back-end of the truck back up when a significant payload is added to the rear.

4. Still has the historically-weak GM steering system design. The tie rods are too small in my engineering opinion for a truck with a heavy diesel motor. The idler / pitman / center link steering system design is still the same system it has been for years ... known to be a wear problem. Already planning on replacing the entire steering linkage with a quality heavy-duty system this winter. Let’s hope GM upgrades this system in the new design 2020 models.

5. Tow hitch safety chain hole design. Smaller “S”-style safety chains does not fit the holes in the factory hitch design. I had to add hammer links to the hitch safety chain holes so the “S”-style safety chains could be attached easily instead of modifying each trailer’s safety chains.

My truck was significantly detuned for the first 1,000 miles. I was actually extremely disappointed at first how slow this truck was compared to my previous gas motor half-ton truck. But at 500 miles, then 1,000 miles, the truck became much faster. My father has a 2017 model with 15k miles on it and he verified his did the same thing. Before everyone asks ... I did properly break in the truck by not hammering on it as advised by GM.

Again ... I do like the truck ... and I can see why it has won the 3/4 - 1 ton truck shootout over the past couple years. Averages 17 to 20 mpg on the highway unloaded, which is great for something weighing almost 8,000 lbs. Averages 15 mpg around town unloaded. Averages 10-12 mpg pulling our 8,000 lb travel trailer with another 2,000 lbs of passengers and gear in the truck. The 910 ft-lbs of torque was not very evident until I put our travel trailer behind it ... then it made my previous half-ton look shameful by how fast it gets up to highway speed and how effortlessly it handles the load.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #69

Quote:
3. No factory leveling kit. The truck was 3.5 inches higher in the back than the front in stock form. I had to actually tilt my seat bottom down in the back to sit level while driving. Also had a hard time seeing vehicles in my rear view due to the butt-end of the truck being so much higher than the front. We all understand this is done so the truck sits level when you add the 3,500 lbs of payload to the back. But I fixed all of this by adding a quality leveling kit (with the proper spacers to drop the front differential returning the CV axles to the proper angles) ... and an aftermarket airbag self-leveling memory system to lift the back-end of the truck back up when a significant payload is added to the rear.
Don't forget to have the headlights correctly re-aimed.

Raising the front relative to the rear, will have the headlights aimed way too high.

And The factory alignment angle won't work anymore, because the position of the headlights is now higher than it was when the truck was stock, so if you try to use the factory alignment angle, the low beams will still be hitting the road too far in front of your vehicle. Your state laws should describe how many feet in front of the truck the high-intensity portion of the low beams should hit the ground, or verbiage similar to that. On some lifted trucks, I've had to just about bottom out the elevation adjustment to get them legal.

Quote:
...it made my previous half-ton look shameful by...how effortlessly it handles the load.
Amen. There's nothing quite like having enough truck. Congrats.
Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post

Every ERA brings happiness, some coming some going. Everyone should get to live next to a "clown" that bombs their CTD, 5" tubes, prom chips, deletes, yada, yada. Then annoyingly chooses to bust it off, bellowing black soot, and let it idle for 15 Min. before leaving for work. We (neighbors) asked him politely to refrain for a time. Be advised, some municipalities do have ordinances that are enforceable. Irresponsible individuals cause many of the freedoms we enjoy to dwindle.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel