Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #1

2020 Chevy HD Bed Length / 5th Wheel Hitch

I currently have a 2019 GMC DRW long bed. I currently tow a big travel trailer, heavy equipment flat bed, dump trailer, etc., i.e., most things from the conventional hitch. But I foresee a 5'er in my near future. With the new tow specs, I am considering a 2020 3500 SRW as I think it would meet my towing needs without the DRW or long box. My big question is whether the new regular box that is supposedly longer is long enough to run a 5th wheel hitch without needing a slider hitch. I don't really have any interest in going back to an SRW with a long box. That is, if I am going to run a long box, I might as well get the extra wheels, IMO, but I also don't really want to screw around with a box that is too short for the job.

Anyone know the answer?
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

I believe for 2020 GM increased their wheelbase and their short bed length. They also placed their gooseneck ball mount 2" behind the rear axle for extra cab clearance. I have a friend that installed a B&W hitch in the puck mounts and the hitch jaws were right over the gooseneck opening. Maybe he set it up that way as the B&W is adjustable. I'm thinking you might be good with a trailer with rounded front corners. Don't buy a puck mounted hitch for a 2019 truck as the dimensions changed for 2020.

It would be nice if someone could give us the gooseneck center to cab measurement.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
My big question is whether the new regular box that is supposedly longer is long enough to run a 5th wheel hitch without needing a slider hitch.
Depends on the trailers front corner profile. Most newer trailers have the rounded/notched front corners made for short bed trucks.

The trailer dealer or mfg can best answer that question.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #4

FYI - the 2020 GM Trucks are the boss. They are a huge improvement over the 2019 with a new stiffer frame and better engines or better cooling on last year's diesel engine.

The 2020 GM 3500 SRW will not be quite as good as a 2019 DRW truck but it will be close. Payload with a diesel engine will be in the 3,800lb range.

With the shortbed 3500 and the right design on the 5th wheel and the hitch 2" behind the axle you might not need a slider hitch.

If you tow bumper pull trailers you will really like the new hitch integration into the frame of the truck. I believe the GM 3500 SRW trucks will have a receiver with a 2,000lb capacity.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:32 AM   #5

I've towed with a long bed and switched to a short bed years ago. The long bed has its advantages but I'll be sticking to a short bed so long as I don't need duals. I really like the look of the new GM but I definitely think you should check out the 2020 Powerstroke before you decide.... probably doesn't hurt to take a look at a Ram as well.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #6

I test drove the GM HD, Ford Super Duty, and Ram HD.

If $$$ was less of an issue I would pick the 2020 Ford 6.7 Superduty. That truck was smooth and very powerful. I had a 2012 diesel Superduty and could tell this was a better truck with more power and refinement. Ford changed the steering of this truck for the better.

The 2020 GM HD trucks IMHO were 2nd as they are also refined and powerful enough. This truck drove a tiny bit better than Ford. You can not go wrong with either the GM or the Ford.

I test drove the 2020 Ram Mega Cab 6.4 hemi. I found this truck to be good but not as good as Ford and GM. The steering was a bit numb and the truck felt a bit clumsy to me like an older truck. Overall after test driving the other trucks the Ram was less impressive to me.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, chevy