Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #1

2020 DRW Ram/GMC 3500

Hi All,

New to forums and going to be new to full time rving, she is a travel nurse and wants to hit the road rather quickly. I have been doing my research and decided instead of crunching 1000's of numbers on SRW's, we decided we will just go with a DRW to give us a greater piece of mind when travelling cross country.

Again, going back to the numbers (my head hurts), its safe to assume these DRW 3500's can virtually pull anything you throw at it? All the 5th wheels we have looked at are between 14k GVW and 17k GVW, knowing that duallys can also handle a hefty Payload, I believe we are 100% fine.

I'm posting this to get some clarification that my thinking is correct and there is not much else we need to worry about with these 2 brands other than personal preference in packages (trim level/technology)

Any input is greatly appreciated it, we have been leaning towards the Sierra Denali, but also love the infotainment system on the Ram's (limited trim)
Burton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #2

For the most part your assumption are correct. But just don't by pass the tow ratings they are important and should be looked at closely before making a decision.
Comparing a Ram to a Denali is much too vague.
Each truck is configured differently. The payload and capcities can very drastically from the brochure figures promoted in advertisements.
You need to look at the parameters for each individual truck. There will be a sticker on the door jamb stating the trucks ratings.
Assuming your good just because it's a dually can leave you with the wrong truck.
Take a close look at the trucks exact parameters before buying!
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #3

I would agree that any new DRW truck can tow most 5th wheels. Most is 50.1%.

Ok - that was too easy. But yes, if you buy a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 17,000lbs any DRW truck can tow it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantley View Post
For the most part your assumption are correct. But just don't by pass the tow ratings they are important and should be looked at closely before making a decision.
Comparing a Ram to a Denali is much too vague.
Each truck is configured differently. The payload and capcities can very drastically from the brochure figures promoted in advertisements.
You need to look at the parameters for each individual truck. There will be a sticker on the door jamb stating the trucks ratings.
Assuming your good just because it's a dually can leave you with the wrong truck.
Take a close look at the trucks exact parameters before buying!
Hi Lantley,

Thanks for the advice, we definitely planned on grabbing the door sticker and confirming ratings before we bought. Just wanted to reduce the amount of number crunching required on an SRW vs a DRW. We have identified a couple trucks that we are going to look at next week, worse case scenario is just to build one.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would agree that any new DRW truck can tow most 5th wheels. Most is 50.1%.

Ok - that was too easy. But yes, if you buy a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 17,000lbs any DRW truck can tow it.
That's what we love to hear, we will definitely confirm ratings and report back here to get that extra piece of mind and to solidify our decision
Old 08-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #6

New single wheel one ton truck can be just about max load with a 14,000 lb 5th wheel assuming your full time traveler and loading it heavy. Any newer diesel GM, ford ,dodge or ram will pull a 17,000 lb 5th wheel and not have a problem with weight. So really the question is what is the weight of the trailer and how many miles do you plan on towing ? If you get a short bed truck make sure you get a auto sliding hitch . They are not much more then a B&W but it will save the back of the cab at some point and that will cost you $3000 to fix if your dont. I had a GM 1 ton SRW towing a 17000 lb 5th wheel it was over loaded by 800 lbs on the rear axle and would pull the back of the truck around witch caused constant steering correction , got a duel wheel 1 ton now and that is a thing of the past. Payload wise even with 200lbs of tools ,some fire wood and 53 gallons aux fuel tank I am still under the max rear axle weight on the truck. If you look at the ram ,get the air ride rear ( it sill has spring but they are helped by factory air bags). If your going to tow lots of miles in the hills skip the gas motor you will not be happy regardless of the brand of truck.

For rough number figure 22% of the gross trailer weight as your pinweight , dont forget to add for the hitch and people in the cab when your looking at payload numbers . 17,000 lbs X 22%=3740lbs of pin weight
Old 08-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #7

Are you buying new or used? Up until recently the Chevy 3500 lagged way behind the Ford and dodge counterparts in towing.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #8

Yes, for your purposes with the weights you're discussing a DRW should do just fine. You shouldn't have an issue with payload on any of those.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #9

Any of the Big three DWDs regardless of trim level can handle anything up to 18 k without a problem .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #10

Thanks all for the response. We actually compared the GMC/Dodge/ford and believe we are going with the 2022 Ford Platinum DRW. The interior upgrades in the new ford standout a lot to us. (especially the massing seats for her).

Appreciate everyone's response, now to make sure when I redomicile to SD I don't need a special license as our Ford is around 14k and 5th wheel will exceed the 26k rule - my head hurts again.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #11

You will like the massaging seats. It is something to turn on for 15 minutes every few hours. I get lower back pain if I do not have good lumbar support. To me, Ford has very good seats for comfort with great lumbar support.

I had a 2012 F-450 King Ranch that I weighed several times. With a 5th wheel hitch, blocks, tools full fuel, and me it weighed right at 9,000lbs with 5,000lbs on the front axle and 4,000lbs on the rear axle. Fully loaded it weighed a total of 25,700lbs with the 37' 5th wheel.

I think the new aluminum Ford dually truck will weigh 200 - 300 less than my F-450. I would guess 8,700lbs for a fully loaded dually. So if you stay in the 17,000GVWR range for your 5th wheel you will be just under the 26,000lb. limit.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:19 PM   #12

Quote:
You will like the massaging seats. It is something to turn on for 15 minutes every few hours. I get lower back pain if I do not have good lumbar support. To me, Ford has very good seats for comfort with great lumbar support.

I had a 2012 F-450 King Ranch that I weighed several times. With a 5th wheel hitch, blocks, tools full fuel, and me it weighed right at 9,000lbs with 5,000lbs on the front axle and 4,000lbs on the rear axle. Fully loaded it weighed a total of 25,700lbs with the 37' 5th wheel.
Thanks for the response, she loved the massaging seats, however we decided to go with the F450. The turn radius over the F350 sold us.

Quote:
I think the new aluminum Ford dually truck will weigh 200 - 300 less than my F-450. I would guess 8,700lbs for a fully loaded dually. So if you stay in the 17,000GVWR range for your 5th wheel you will be just under the 26,000lb. limit.
So the redomicile to SD is a no-go as I just don't have the time and with my job, it won't work out right now.

However, since I reside in Maryland, it looks like I will have to get a non-commercial class A license as it goes off the GVWR of the truck/RV combo.

So with the truck being 14k, we would have to have a 5th wheel under 12k GVWR to make the 26k cut-off. Very doubtful - not to worries as her whole family drives trucks and has CDL's, just a little annoying, but I'd rather be legal than have any issues
Old 08-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #13

To get in under 26k gross combined weight you could go with either a F250 with the high capacity towing package or F350 SRW with an optional 10k gross vehicle weight rating sticker and a 16 k fiver.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
To get in under 26k gross combined weight you could go with either a F250 with the high capacity towing package or F350 SRW with an optional 10k gross vehicle weight rating sticker and a 16 k fiver.
He may need to check with his Pennsylvania DMV, as an RV being non commercial the 26,000# commercial rule may not apply.
It doesn’t apply in Oregon, and suggesting a F250, that might get the OP in to legal problems later is irresponsible.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote