Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2022, 08:17 AM   #15

I always like to look at various TTs mentioned to see what they look like. When I pulled up the website for this trailer model, it shows to be a much heavier trailer than the opening post would suggest. Granted, this is a 2022 specs as opposed to the 2017 specs, but are you sure of the specs?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
His tires are load range 'c'. Like I said in my original post my truck has standard load mud and snow tires on it and the sidewalls and tread are softer than a standard highway tire. I failed to say we did put an extra 5# of pressure in the rear tires of Marc's truck before testing it.
The WDH he has is also a sway control. I made no change in adjustments to his hitch when I hooked the trailer to my truck.
Here is a link to the installation of the hitch he has:
I would try inflating the rear tires up to the max cold pressure as shown on the sidewall. That will help increase the sidewall stiffness and can make a difference. My RAM 1500 had the "P" rated tires and I could always tell when I forgot to air them up to the max cold pressure when towing.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I always like to look at various TTs mentioned to see what they look like. When I pulled up the website for this trailer model, it shows to be a much heavier trailer than the opening post would suggest. Granted, this is a 2022 specs as opposed to the 2017 specs, but are you sure of the specs?
I took the numbers off the data label on the outside of the trailer. I do know for a fact the trailer is not loaded anywhere near the GVW. He is very concious of weights etc.
I will go next door and have a look at the label again though to be sure.
If the trailer was way overweight it should have acted the same way when my truck was pulling it.
Thanks to everyone for staying within the subject matter in this post. There was a similar thread a short while ago which got way out of hand. That is why I started a new thread.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
His tires are load range 'c'. Like I said in my original post my truck has standard load mud and snow tires on it and the sidewalls and tread are softer than a standard highway tire. I failed to say we did put an extra 5# of pressure in the rear tires of Marc's truck before testing it.
The WDH he has is also a sway control. I made no change in adjustments to his hitch when I hooked the trailer to my truck.
Here is a link to the installation of the hitch he has:
I just looked at that video and it is in disagreement with Ram's owner's manual. The video says to get the front axle load restoration "at least 50%" back to where it was. The manual says 33%. It doesn't say 33% minimum. I take that to mean 33% maximum, because taking too much weight off the rear axle will cause your trailer to sway and your truck to oversteer. I'd go with the owners manual and not with the hitch manufacturer's instructions. The truck manufacturer has to certify that his truck won't oversteer. Note that some truck manufacturers even limit FALR to 25% because that's what's required to pass the SAE J2807 understeer test.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I'm glad you made me walk over. We were looking at the label and the registered weights last night and I got things mixed up a bit. The registered weight is 6200 #. The dry weight on the trailer is 6453#
There is very little packed into the trailer at this time. Maybe a couple hundred pounds. Tools, set up blocking, some clothes etc.
Getting old isn't as much fun as you might think sometimes.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I just looked at that video and it is in disagreement with Ram's owner's manual. The video says to get the front axle load restoration "at least 50%" back to where it was. The manual says 33%. It doesn't say 33% minimum. I take that to mean 33% maximum, because taking too much weight off the rear axle will cause your trailer to sway and your truck to oversteer. I'd go with the owners manual and not with the hitch manufacturer's instructions. The truck manufacturer has to certify that his truck won't oversteer. Note that some truck manufacturers even limit FALR to 25% because that's what's required to pass the SAE J2807 understeer test.
We did take pressure off the WDH previously thinking we had the bars too tight. It made things worse. With this type hitch they may want more pressure on the bars as the bars are part of the sway control. This is the first E2 hitch I have encountered. Years past I have dealt with Reese and Draw Tite.
The previous owner said the trailer handled well for him and he didn't have to change much in the adjustments to fit the hitch to Marc's Ram. And, again it worked fine with my truck with no changes.
We had the trucks and the trailer sitting on the level when we were working on them. After hooking everything up both of the trucks and the trailer looked level. It may or may not change much when the trailer is fully packed. That will be another fiasco.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #21

Quote:
I'm glad you made me walk over. We were looking at the label and the registered weights last night and I got things mixed up a bit. The registered weight is 6200 #. The dry weight on the trailer is 6453#
There is very little packed into the trailer at this time. Maybe a couple hundred pounds. Tools, set up blocking, some clothes etc.
Getting old isn't as much fun as you might think sometimes.
Beats the alternatives. Of course, none of this trailer specific items explains the difference in truck performance. The truck labels, specifically, a comparison between the trucks for payload, curb weight, and max tow. Next thing would be to get weights, of both trucks with trailer attached, etc. With that much discrepancy in handling, there is either something substantially different in the trucks or something in the suspension on the Ram was either never up to the task or has deteriorated.

Quote:
We did take pressure off the WDH previously thinking we had the bars too tight. It made things worse. With this type hitch they may want more pressure on the bars as the bars are part of the sway control. This is the first E2 hitch I have encountered. Years past I have dealt with Reese and Draw Tite.
The previous owner said the trailer handled well for him and he didn't have to change much in the adjustments to fit the hitch to Marc's Ram. And, again it worked fine with my truck with no changes.
We had the trucks and the trailer sitting on the level when we were working on them. After hooking everything up both of the trucks and the trailer looked level. It may or may not change much when the trailer is fully packed. That will be another fiasco.
More interesting would be if it suddenly improved, suggesting the tongue weight was too light.

All of this testing is a pain, I am sure. I could see shifting some weight to add tongue weight, perhaps?
Old 07-26-2022, 09:29 AM   #22

these coil springs change the way a normal truck handles under load. my 2500 dont carry without sway what my previous ford or chevy would. a friend sold his camper that worked well with his chevy truck to not being able to use with his new 2500 ram due to sway on curves. he loves the truck, just doing dog friendly hotels or cabins now a guess. he hunts, not a camper.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #23

6500 lb dry trailer weight, OAL of ?, 1/2 ton truck and LR C tires? .....I won't say what you don't want to hear but if I had to tow this trailer with that truck, I'd get a ProPride/Hensley hitch and upgrade the tires

Dave
Old 07-26-2022, 09:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
6500 lb dry trailer weight, OAL of ?, 1/2 ton truck and LR C tires? .....I won't say what you don't want to hear but if I had to tow this trailer with that truck, I'd get a ProPride/Hensley hitch and upgrade the tires

Dave
Dave, Why can I drive down the road (Marc actually) pulling the trailer with my truck with the standard load M&S tires and the same hitch and my 20 YO truck pulls it straight down the road?
This problem has to be specific to the Ram pulling it.
This also brings up another issue. I can pull our race trailer at 65+ mph with my Suburban without any sway whatsoever but when pulling the trailer with Marc's Ram anything over 50 was a little scary. Loaded with the same cargo and placed the same way.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Dave, Why can I drive down the road (Marc actually) pulling the trailer with my truck with the standard load M&S tires and the same hitch and my 20 YO truck pulls it straight down the road?
I don't know enough about the Ram suspension, but I have heard they have a very comfortable ride, and that may be a product of coil springs versus leaf springs, as WHSouthwind suggests.

I have had friends with Ram trucks, actually, back then it was still Dodge, and I was surprised how hard they tried to baby them. We once got an opportunity to collect some large rocks from a construction site. I had a Tahoe, the (now ex-) son-in-law had a Dodge. When we left the construction site, my Tahoe with a tarp on the rear floor had more weight in rocks than the Ram had. Never understood why he was so concerned with overloading.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #26

i tow my tt with a power wagon,the suspension is marginally better than a half ton.i'll say from the start,your tires are not up to the task.the first thing i did when i got my trailer is swap my "D" rated tires for "E"'s.huge difference.your "C"'s are way too soft for the task,no matter how much they're inflated.they are meant for off road,as mentioned, try the ram forum.they'll tell you the same thing,tires,air bags,then hitch.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:45 AM   #27

Load Rated 'C' tires...........?????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post

Dave

Tags
sway, tow, towing