Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2022, 04:35 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise_RV View Post
Without getting all high and mighty on "only accepting RAM comments"; let me drop this into the pool.

With my F150 that has sway control, the RV dealer recommended that when I'm towing and using a sway control/Weight Distro hitch, that I turn OFF the Ford sway control as it counter-acts the WDH and Sway apparatus, and makes the sway worse. Take from that what you will. I dont know the RAM layout.
That was real informative.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Forget about the cute truck and get one that will control the trailer.
Won't do. It may take some work but we will get this right.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:45 PM   #73

I have a 2019 Ram. I put Air Lift air bags on mine and I had no trouble hauling my 2 full size Harleys in a 14 foot tandem axle enclosed trailer. I do not have a WDH for it and there was not an issue anywhere from Canada to Arizona. My weight was around #6600 on the trailer. I was a bit heavy on the hitch so this may have helped matters.
sno man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:56 PM   #74

The difference is in the rear suspensions. Coil spring rear ends suck for towing IMO.

I had a Ram 1500 and towing with that truck was absolutely frightening; mirrored your experience exactly.

Dont waste any money on air bags, Sumo springs, tires or sway bars. They won't help your situation one bit. I speak from my experience with my Ram.

Get a truck with a leaf spring rear end.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:07 PM   #75

I would first look at getting some Era Fe -0ply tires put on it. Make sure inflation is correct . Also make sure you don’t leave the tongue weight to light. Trailers with weight bias to the back tend to sway. Put some weight on the hitch ball. Also che clean the trailer axle alignment. Could have bent or misaligned axle causing it to track weird and fights the truck. Thats the first few things that come to mind. There could be many more reasons though. I have also heard the linked suspension ram pick ups do have a bit of instability in the rear end. A buddy of mine has one and has complained of it.
johnnyweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:18 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiejack75 View Post
The difference is in the rear suspensions. Coil spring rear ends suck for towing IMO.

I had a Ram 1500 and towing with that truck was absolutely frightening; mirrored your experience exactly.

Dont waste any money on air bags, Sumo springs, tires or sway bars. They won't help your situation one bit. I speak from my experience with my Ram.

Get a truck with a leaf spring rear end.
What did you do to your Ram 1500 to try making it better?
Old 07-31-2022, 05:55 PM   #77

Had a similar issue with my Laramie

Does the truck have traction control feature? It should be a toggle underneath the large screen maybe?

This seems to be a common feeling of kind of fighting the trailer on many other forums I believe. I have had a similar issue with my Laramie and when I turn off the traction control it seems to go away.

Just a thought.
motogrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:30 PM   #78

You said your tires are aired to spec? Truck spec or tire specs? Always air to tire sidewall specs. If aired correctly try to swap tires and wheels with another Ram. For chucking try Airlift air bags ran at 10lbs.Thats for chucking not swaying. Your going to find its your tires weak side walls.
fordguydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #79

retired long

Could it be your weight an balance is incorect? Try moving stuff in trailer to front of trailer. I in past agreed to take 2 bicycles to Florida for them .Mounted them on proper carrier an on a 28foot trailer.Pulled it with a Ram 4wheel Diesel.Didnt take long for me to realise those few pounds on rear caused serious swaying an promply moved them inside an front far as i could .No problem rest of way.
retired long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:11 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hediger View Post
Have you wieghed your truck with and without your trailer? If there is too much weight in the rear of the trailer and not enough on the hitch you will have lots of problem with sway. 15-20% of the total trailer weight should be in our hitch (or fifth wheel). Google or search around on forums to see more on this issue. There are also articles on how to weigh your truck and truck with trailer on CAT scales available at most major truck stop chains.
Generally, fifth wheel should be 20-25%, bumper pulls should be 10-15%. Some say a little lower on fifth wheels, so maybe even 17% for fifth wheel. If you are at 20% on your bumper pull, you might need to readjust your load.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:37 PM   #81

I have a RAM1500 Big Horn Off Road that is equipped with the tow package and LT tires and have yet to have any issue towing our TT even in high cross winds! Over 12,000 miles thus far all the way out west and back. My Husky Centerline TS hitch is configured correctly and we insure weight distribution both in the trailer and the TV are right. Has to be another issue as my RAM is rock solid when it come to towing! It is a quad cab with 6' box, 4WD and equipped with the 5.7 engine.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:51 AM   #82

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This happened to me with a 1995 Ram 1500 and a 30 foot travel trailer. Load range E tires made a lot of difference
Old 08-01-2022, 03:15 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise_RV View Post
Without getting all high and mighty on "only accepting RAM comments"; let me drop this into the pool.

With my F150 that has sway control, the RV dealer recommended that when I'm towing and using a sway control/Weight Distro hitch, that I turn OFF the Ford sway control as it counter-acts the WDH and Sway apparatus, and makes the sway worse. Take from that what you will. I dont know the RAM layout.
This just goes to show RV dealers are as clueless as most people on these forums. Sway control only ever activates if the trailer sways out of control. If the antisway feature of your WDH always keeps your trailer from swaying out of control, the sway control built into the stability system of the TV will never activate. If it does activate, it will cut engine power and make use of the TBC until the trailer is in control and YOU WILL BE DANG PROUD OF IT !!!
The physical antisway feature of the WDH and the electronic sway control controlled by the TV computers are 2 very separate and different things.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:17 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogrrl View Post
Does the truck have traction control feature? It should be a toggle underneath the large screen maybe?

This seems to be a common feeling of kind of fighting the trailer on many other forums I believe. I have had a similar issue with my Laramie and when I turn off the traction control it seems to go away.

Just a thought.
That is ridiculous.

Tags
sway, tow, towing