Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
But, even a TTV6 Hybrid will get less gas mileage when towing compared to the V8, even in the mountains.

Toyota should have offered the TTV6 as a Hybrid only, and then a V8 as a 2nd option. This makes more sense for their buyers, as many of them do put on 200 or 300k miles before trading in. Unlike Ford truck buyers that mostly trade in before 100k.

But this really hurts the used truck consumer, as these trucks age, and start racking up miles, the repair bills will get expensive. The hybrid batteries alone are several thousand to replace.

Agree, the TTV6 will not get very good MPG while towing. Driving around town is where you pick up the MPG, but I would say that most people use half tons as daily drivers and they could benefit from the hybrid. If you're going to do mostly towing a V8 would be a better choice. Not as good as a diesel though, which are better around town, highway and towing than any gas engine. Too bad the EPA killed the 3.0 liter diesel. It's only available in a Ram or GMC.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 07:13 AM   #16

Ford discontinued the 3.0 diesel due to lack of sales. The 3.5 ecoboost out performs it in every way other than fuel mileage.
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #17

I find it interesting the 2022 Toyota engine is really close to the exact same size as the Ford engine. Do you think Ford got it exactly right with 3.5 litres?

Toyota should have built a 4.0 litre turbo engine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #18

Toyota has been using a 3.5 V6 the 2GR, since 2007 across many different vehicles. It’s been a very strong, and reliable engine, and probably just worked off that design.

It’s been used in the Lexus ES, GS, RX, and Toyota Camry, Highlander, Avalon, Tacoma.

Don’t think it had anything to do with Ford.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I find it interesting the 2022 Toyota engine is really close to the exact same size as the Ford engine. Do you think Ford got it exactly right with 3.5 litres?

Toyota should have built a 4.0 litre turbo engine.
The new Tundra also has a very similar twin panel moonroof like the F series has had since 2015.
Oh yea, the remote release tailgate too.
Also, the trailer connection system seems to be lifted right out of Fords playbook.
I also see that the new Tundra is touting “Vented” seats. Is that a new thing for them?
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #20

One advantage the Tundra has over the F-150 is the rear coil spring suspension. Maybe Ford will get the message now to get rid of the leafs.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
One advantage the Tundra has over the F-150 is the rear coil spring suspension. Maybe Ford will get the message now to get rid of the leafs.
Advantage??

Guess that depends on whether you bought your truck to be a people hauler with a great ride - or a truck you can put some weight on and work. Ram went that direction (rear coils) in their 2500 series. If you want to read some horror stories, go to the slide-in camper section of this forum and see what happens when you put some weight in the back of a coil-sprung truck.

Sticker on the door of my leaf-sprung F150 says it has a payload of 1937 lbs. Got a close friend with a new Ram 1500 coil sprung. Wonderful ride. Payload sticker on his door says 900 lbs.

I would never buy a "truck" with rear coils until someone figures out a way to have them handle a load without wallowing all over the road.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #22

I had ventilated seats in my 2011 F-150 Lariat. One thing the Japanese companies were good at was copy and improve the things they copied.

The F-150 had a boxed frame a long time. Maybe since 2004. The Tundra 2022 just went to a boxed frame.

I was watching a video and a comment was made that the Toyota Tundra caught up to the completion just in time for the completion to change. That Toyota did not move the bar ahead but even.

I do like the new Tundra but I also like the Ram, Ford and GM just as much.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
Advantage??

Guess that depends on whether you bought your truck to be a people hauler with a great ride - or a truck you can put some weight on and work. Ram went that direction (rear coils) in their 2500 series. If you want to read some horror stories, go to the slide-in camper section of this forum and see what happens when you put some weight in the back of a coil-sprung truck.

Sticker on the door of my leaf-sprung F150 says it has a payload of 1937 lbs. Got a close friend with a new Ram 1500 coil sprung. Wonderful ride. Payload sticker on his door says 900 lbs.

I would never buy a "truck" with rear coils until someone figures out a way to have them handle a load without wallowing all over the road.
I have coils on my 2500. I love them. Rides like a dream and nary a hint of wallowing even while towing at 90 mph. I never tried overloading it though.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #24

A moderately trimmed Tundra will still have a pathetically low payload....watch and see.

The "hybrid" option has been clocked at almost the same 0-60 MPH time as the standard engine (around 7 sec), so all the bragging about extra HP and torque is getting eaten up by the extra weight, and with the hybrid the battery is under the rear seat so you lose the storage under the seat and headroom in the back and they only have a 400W outlet in the bed .

And the hybrid fuel economy isn't going to be much better than the standard engine option. The designer stated that the hybrid was designed for maximum fuel economy, but more so for performance, yet it barely outperforms the standard engine....so what's the benefit of the hybrid?

I was hoping for a reason to buy one....but it's basically a great big fail as far as a tow vehicle is concerned, they haven't caught up to anyone after all that hype. They brag about "tow capacity" and "heavier payloads" but the SR5 that was being review in one video had a payload under 1,500 lbs and a Limited was right at 1,400 lbs. So brag about all the "tow capacity" and trailer technology and provide a payload that's good for a 3,500 lb trailer......

The loud pumped in volume of a racecar is a little over the top too, hopefully users will be able to turn that nonsense off.

And yes, I am a Toyota fan, currently have two in the garage and have owned many more, including a few Tundra's that I really liked. I wasn't hoping for much, but I don't think asking for a 1,700 LB payload in a 4x4 crew cab short bed truck is asking for much, especially in the second to lowest trim level available, but apparently it still is for them.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #25

[QUOTE=bneukam;5950795
But this really hurts the used truck consumer, as these trucks age, and start racking up miles, the repair bills will get expensive. The hybrid batteries alone are several thousand to replace.[/QUOTE]

If the Prius is an outlier for the hybrid truck, repairs get very expensive over 150k miles. The main synergy board will fail and cost $2,500 to replace. Dash control board $1,000, and dealer quote for batteries $3,400 which will likely fail at 180k miles. Fortunately there’s a whole underground of businesses that will replace batteries with rehabs for $800. I put 300k miles on my Prius before giving it to charity. I woulda been happy with repair costs were it not for the big Toyota rip-off on electronic components. The $2,500 circuit board probably cost them $50 to make. Battery replacement has to baked into cost of ownership.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
Advantage??

The 900lb. payload doesn't sound right. My 2021 Ram Limited 1500 is 1492lb. which is more than enough to handle the small TT I plan on buying. And yes, the ride is nothing short of fantastic with the 4 corner air suspension.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #27

I agree some trucks have a pitiful payload. Take a look at the regular Nissan Titan. I saw 1,200 to 1,300 pounds. You have to go with a Nissan Titan XD to get a real payload. I think I saw the max payload on the Tundra at 1,800lbs, that is not bad. But holly cow, that is not earth shattering either. I believe I saw the least payload on Titan, then Ram, I did not look at the old Tundra because of the flexy frame, but probably Tundra, then Ford then the best was on GM trucks as a general rule. It is easy to find a F-150 with a 1,750 pound payload and easy to find a GM truck with 1,850 pound payload if I remember right.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
The 900lb. payload doesn't sound right. My 2021 Ram Limited 1500 is 1492lb. which is more than enough to handle the small TT I plan on buying. And yes, the ride is nothing short of fantastic with the 4 corner air suspension.

Rick
Any of the 1500 Eco diesels have 1,000 lbs or less. I've opened a few 1500 doors while getting my oil changed at the local Ram dealer and it's almost 100% that a mid to high trim 1500 Eco has low CCC.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote