Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #1

2023 Ford Powerstroke HO

The new High Output Powerstroke has a water cooled turbo and different exhaust manifolds from the info I have.

Do you think the water cooling is good to have just for improved system life? I doubt I need the extra power, but perhaps the water cooling provides some insurance from heat soaking the turbo.

Does the standard Powerstroke turbo suffer failures from heat over time resulting in premature failure?

Does the High Output option provide increased reliability as well as more power as needed?

Please share thoughts and experience.

John
AKjohn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjohn62 View Post
The new High Output Powerstroke has a water cooled turbo and different exhaust manifolds from the info I have.

Do you think the water cooling is good to have just for improved system life? I doubt I need the extra power, but perhaps the water cooling provides some insurance from heat soaking the turbo.

Does the standard Powerstroke turbo suffer failures from heat over time resulting in premature failure?

Does the High Output option provide increased reliability as well as more power as needed?

Please share thoughts and experience.

John
Well, there isn't any experience with the HO as they won't starting producing them until next February but my 2 cents;

- earlier PSD's had turbo issues (2011 - 2015), since the change in 2015 turbo problems aren't overly common from what I've seen... or at least no more or less than other brands.

- the pre-HO Powerstrokes also have a water cooled turbo so while the new HO turbo is different, I'm not clear on how. https://pensacoladiesel.com/product/...ant-feed-line/

- my guess is that Ford made the changes they felt necessary to support the extra 25hp and 150 ft lbs of torque.....I doubt the HO is any more or less reliable than the 2020 - 2022 "standard" Powerstroke.

To be honest, I have a hard time envisioning what an average owner would need to tow to need anything more than the 475hp/1050 ft lbs that the standard Powerstroke diesel produces.....I tend to think that it's all about marketing and sales hype and that anything much beyond 800ft lbs is likely not noticeable for what 95% of SD owners tow and haul. The 475/1050 engine is electronically torque limited in the first 3 gears as it is. .....Funny thing is that the 6.7 was already the most powerful diesel out of the big 3 and coupled with the 10spd, it enjoyed a pretty good performance advantage over Ram and especially GM without the new HO......but I'm sure people will want it all the same.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 11-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #3

I owned a 2012 F-450 that had the generation 1 6.7 with the turbo that was deep in the engine. I owned that truck for 6.5 years without any problem.

Ford has only improved that engine since then. I would expect better in the subsequent engines.

There are other things to worry about on a diesel engine that will probably break before the turbo. Water in the fuel, injector pump, shortage of diesel fuel, outlaw diesel engines, the injectors, dozens of sensors, the DPF getting clogged, the DEF tank freezing, and a few more.

I would not expect any problems until year 7, 8, 9 or 10. Who knows what the world will look like in 10 years.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wow.
Def tank on ram has a heater built in to prevent freezing. Others surely do also otherwise how would they operate on the north slope of Alaska or in the northern stretches of Canuck land. Hell Nebraska in January?
I believe the big 3 all have had liquid cooled turbos for years. Nothing new there. If it is of concern, a set of gauges on a pillar pod is what you need.
With over 75k miles (43k of it towing) none of those other issues have shown up either. And it’s my daily driver just putting around town shopping and such when not towing.
Gotta luv the 100k power train warranty Cummins equipped rams come with (my security blanket) just in case.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Having lived in Fairbanks

For 5 years back in the 80’s, I don’t think I’d own a diesel. -50*f is pretty damn tough on All rigs. Gotta plug them in at a warmer temp than gas engines. I know it’s a lot warmer in the Matanuska valley than Squarebanks but still. Alaska is where we started the rv life to avoid the grizz or blackies coming into the tent. A little 13’ Scottie tt behind a full size 85 Bronco w/a small block 302.
Sorry, I digress.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over here View Post
I believe the big 3 all have had liquid cooled turbos for years. Nothing new there.
???? I have no idea what you’re talking about?
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:44 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Holset turbo used on 6.7 Cummins has a engine coolant line. So does the turbo used on the 6.6 Duramax. Engine coolant is run through the turbo center section. Garrett has also been making liquid cooled turbos for years.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Well, there isn't any experience with the HO as they won't starting producing them until next February but my 2 cents;

- earlier PSD's had turbo issues (2011 - 2015), since the change in 2015 turbo problems aren't overly common from what I've seen... or at least no more or less than other brands.

- the pre-HO Powerstrokes also have a water cooled turbo so while the new HO turbo is different, I'm not clear on how. https://pensacoladiesel.com/product/...ant-feed-line/

- my guess is that Ford made the changes they felt necessary to support the extra 25hp and 150 ft lbs of torque.....I doubt the HO is any more or less reliable than the 2020 - 2022 "standard" Powerstroke.

To be honest, I have a hard time envisioning what an average owner would need to tow to need anything more than the 475hp/1050 ft lbs that the standard Powerstroke diesel produces.....I tend to think that it's all about marketing and sales hype and that anything much beyond 800ft lbs is likely not noticeable for what 95% of SD owners tow and haul. The 475/1050 engine is electronically torque limited in the first 3 gears as it is. .....Funny thing is that the 6.7 was already the most powerful diesel out of the big 3 and coupled with the 10spd, it enjoyed a pretty good performance advantage over Ram and especially GM without the new HO......but I'm sure people will want it all the same.

2 cents,
Dave
Just read on Ford.com that the 500HP & 1200TQ is based on Premium Diesel. I searched the internet and found a couple stations in the Phx. area that claim to have Premium Diesel, but would worry about both availability as well as cost. So, I'm assuming you can run regular diesel but wonder how much it de-rates the engine, and if it causes it to use more DEF, or any other issues.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
Just read on Ford.com that the 500HP & 1200TQ is based on Premium Diesel. I searched the internet and found a couple stations in the Phx. area that claim to have Premium Diesel, but would worry about both availability as well as cost. So, I'm assuming you can run regular diesel but wonder how much it de-rates the engine, and if it causes it to use more DEF, or any other issues.
Not sure; first I've heard about that.

Dave
Old 11-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Not sure; first I've heard about that.

Dave
try this link:
https://shop.ford.com/configure/supe...RW.DRW.450.%5D

Dave: If it doesn't connect straight in click on engine details. Then you'll see where it mentions premium fuel. There was another link that had more detail but I can't find it again. When I do I'll post it up here as well.
Bob
Old 11-04-2022, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over here View Post
Holset turbo used on 6.7 Cummins has a engine coolant line. So does the turbo used on the 6.6 Duramax. Engine coolant is run through the turbo center section. Garrett has also been making liquid cooled turbos for years.

You said “the big 3 all have had liquid cooled turbos for years. Nothing new there.” So did you mean Cummins and Duramax have used water cooled turbos for years or are you saying there is nothing new about the turbo in the HO powerstroke vs the regular?
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:17 AM   #12

Liquid cooled could and probably means oil cooled. I do know turbos are oil cooled.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Liquid cooled could and probably means oil cooled. I do know turbos are oil cooled.
Click on the link I posted in post #2
Old 11-05-2022, 11:13 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Let me clarify

Yes the holset turbo is cooled by engine coolant. So is the Duramax’ turbo.I believe Ford uses a Garrett turbo and it is also cooled the same way.
Dave posted a link to the turbo coolant line for the Ford. That is NOT an oil line.
Engine oil is used for lubrication and to a much, lesser extent some cooling.

Tags
ford, power