Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #15

3/4 Ton Chevy/GMC/Ford/Ram MPG & Tank Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorRon View Post
2018 F-150 super cab lariat w/8 foot bed and 5.0L. No chrome or fancy stuff. Max payload and max tow package. 36 gallon tank. New to me so I don’t know mileage yet.
Attachment 198293

I did forget to mention the gcvwr is 16,600, the max tow is 11,600. This is a 4x4. I did watch the YouTube review that said the Ford didn’t feel as planted as the other truck they tested. I think it was a ram.
PastorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by barr0208 View Post
the new 2019 ram 1500 now has 6 bolt axles(means heavier gawr) payload for a longhorn quad cab (that is the starting truck for 2019 no reg cab) 4x2 will have a payload of 2340 lbs minus options it will have the same tow capacity 10950lbs and later in the year with the hybrid will increase towing to 12000 and change lbs. they haven't stated the gcvwr or gvwr but sure they are up substantially.
I would need 4x4 with crew cab and 6'4" bed and it isn't nearly as good for capacities. Ram site shows only 1670 payload which is definitely better than my 1075 pounds, but not up to Ford's 2200+.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
Good morning,

We currently have a 2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Limited towing an almost 7K pound TT. It pulls it great, however, since it is a Limited with pretty much all options, my payload is just over 1K which doesn't leave much for gear, peeps and tongue weight. To make matters worse, all the tanks are in front of the trailer axles so if I put any fresh water in the tank or have any waste I am pushing my limits. So we really need to get a 3/4 ton pickup. I really just want to get a gas model and not go to a diesel since it is quite a bit more and would really be overkill.

My question is, what are typical MPG for your 3/4 ton gas pickup while pulling something similar in weight? Also, what size fuel tank does your pickup have?

We did a trip recently from Missouri to Gulf Shores Alabama and got just over 9 MPG for the round trip. This was about what I expected, but my tank is 32 gallon and I had to fill up every 200 miles or so which is less than had hoped. Would like to get more since we plan on going to Alaska in a couple years. We have driven the Alcan three times and know we would be fine with this size tank, but would rather have a little more just in case.

Thanks.

John
No truck is perfect. Your ride quality will suffer, going from 1/2 to 3/4 for the big 3. 7000# should not require a 3/4. I would keep all options open and add the Titan XD gasser to the list. The XD has excellent engine+tranny, can handle 9k# easily, and will give you the best ride imho. It was made for your situation.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #18

weight

Quote:
I would need 4x4 with crew cab and 6'4" bed and it isn't nearly as good for capacities. Ram site shows only 1670 payload which is definitely better than my 1075 pounds, but not up to Ford's 2200+.
that's weird I own a 2016 ram Laramie quad cab and my payload as per sticker is 1421lbs so the new one which is 225 lbs lighter than mine means payload increase to 1646 before you add the new axles I'm sure when we can build in Canada a new laramie quad should be around 1850 lbs .that's a big increase for ram and the hemi pulls like a bull and handles the load better than a ford. my friend has one and he likes mine better lol.
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
8-10 mpg is the typical MPG for most all gassers towing 5,000-8,000 lb TT's.
You won't be getting 11 unless you have a tailwind or are driving on perfectly flat roads doing 55 mph. For that TT I'd go with a newer F150 that has the max payload. It would give you around 1500-1700 lbs depending on trim level. You get way better mpg when not towing. Most all 3/4 ton gassers suck gas even when not towing. An F150 with the 3.5 Eco B and 3.55 gears will give you 20 mpg on the hwy running empty. When towing it will suck gas just like the 3/4 tons.
Wow, your eco boost is waaaay better than my Dad's. He gets 16...that's it, just 16, all the time. Highway, town..doesn't matter, just 16.

For reference, its a 2014 Platinum.

Ken
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
No truck is perfect. Your ride quality will suffer, going from 1/2 to 3/4 for the big 3. 7000# should not require a 3/4. I would keep all options open and add the Titan XD gasser to the list. The XD has excellent engine+tranny, can handle 9k# easily, and will give you the best ride imho. It was made for your situation.
Why is nobody suggesting diesel? If I were going to look at the Titan XD - and I agree with you that it seems made for these 7k-9k trailers - then I would go itty bitty cummins all the way. You even get an Aisin with it.

Alas, I'm still on the fence about Nissan anyway. And I love my new RAM3500, so there's that.

Ken
Old 04-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
Why is nobody suggesting diesel? If I were going to look at the Titan XD - and I agree with you that it seems made for these 7k-9k trailers - then I would go itty bitty cummins all the way. You even get an Aisin with it.

Alas, I'm still on the fence about Nissan anyway. And I love my new RAM3500, so there's that.

Ken
I have looked at Titans. It is an OK truck and I have had a Titan in the past, but don't really care for the new styling. Also, the Cummins doesn't come with an exhaust brake and they don't have much more if any more payload capacity than the Ford F-150 with max payload package.

I'm not worried about the ability to pull or stop the 7K trailer, its the tongue weight that is added to the payload. I am basically over payload capacity for the RAM 1500 Hemi Limited when we sit in the truck. Just wouldn't know it since it has auto leveling from the factory 4 corner airbags.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #22

15' Ram 2500 CTD, in the sig. I get 11mpg towing on average. I go over a mountain most camping trips.
If I am on mostly flat terrain I get about 13mpg towing.

My around town mileage varies from 13-15mpg. I drive very short distances though. 5.7miles to work. With larger commutes the mileage improves.

Best highway mileage i've had is 22mpg when not towing. That was 400+ miles round trip and going over a mountain.

I'm really not sure what size the tank is. 31? 33?

The advantage of the Titan over the F150 is weight. That light F150 would get pushed around by a good crosswind. And it's using a 1 ton frame, axles, transmission, brakes, etc. Not putting an exhaust brake on the titan is a head scratcher. But it's grade shifting is good.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #23

While I am unsure if they make one for your vehicle or one you may be looking at Titan Fuel Tanks makes midship replacement tanks. On my 2017, Ram, 3500, crew cab, long bed they make a 55 gallon replacement. Which is 23 gallons larger than the 32 gallon oem tank. Probably doesn't do you any good on your existing vehicle since it is already short on payload but a new vehicle might be an option for you if you cant find one with a large enough oem tank to your liking.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #24

3/4 Ton Chevy/GMC/Ford/Ram MPG & Tank Size

Quote:
I have looked at Titans. It is an OK truck and I have had a Titan in the past, but don't really care for the new styling. Also, the Cummins doesn't come with an exhaust brake and they don't have much more if any more payload capacity than the Ford F-150 with max payload package.

I'm not worried about the ability to pull or stop the 7K trailer, its the tongue weight that is added to the payload. I am basically over payload capacity for the RAM 1500 Hemi Limited when we sit in the truck. Just wouldn't know it since it has auto leveling from the factory 4 corner airbags.

80% of 32-gal is 25. That’s the maximum USEABLE fuel. A 200-mile range is about right. Why is it a “problem”? Doesnt everyone plan fuel stops the night before? Every dumb truck driver you curse can do it, and does.

My parents, grandparents and I have all travelled the US, Mexico and Canada with a range of 170-miles per tank.

Worrying about payload or tow capacity is rookie time. The 5-10 year new guys who think they know something. Believe pickups a good choice. Forget that solo spec FAR dominates a few miles of annual vacation travel. But put their families in the worst vehicle by design.

Explain that. Too many years of cheap beer and TV?

A WD hitch takes care of TW. It ISN’T part of that marketing term “Payload”. That goes on rear axle. TW goes to three axles, not one.

Today’s half tons will tow whatever you want. Slow up the hill? So what? It’s the downgrade that matters. If any of you cares about “safety” you’d know this AND that the first things to do with a white plastic box is change the suspension to torsion, brakes to disc, and hitch to one of the Hensley patent licensees.

The dumb guys talk about towing capacity or payload. The smart guys know it’s about braking and handling. Year round, towing or solo.

Rough in the hitch rigging at home with fender measurements. Then use a scale to ensure Steer Axle weight is the same Solo and with WD tension applied. And don’t exceed tire or axle ratings. That’s it.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, ford, tank