Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
I also contend that if you are worried about a few hundred pounds then you are cutting things too close to the limits.
That's probably true.....thus the reason that I switched to a much heavier duty truck for the Toy Hauler.......No worries now!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #30

I have a 2016 F250 4X4 CrewCab with the 6.7ltr oil burner.
I tow a 2016 Wildcat 28SGX fifth wheel.
From cap to bumper the 5th is 33.5 feet long. It has three slide outs and is a "couples coach".

We wanted a rear living area and all the water piping in one wall. There were many other considerations of course and no one unit hit all the marks but this came closest in our price range.

I've weighed the rig three times fully loaded and we are within axle limits and payload limits. Truck handles it just fine but I am not an aggressive driver. Spent some time driving in the oil patch and learned real quick that the "cowboy" mentality would sooner or later cause problems.

If you have any questions you can PM me....
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
You have a nice setup there, I like it.
Thank you Sir, we certainly enjoy it and it serves us well.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #32

[QUOTE=cpt_majestic;3729249]
Numerous people I've talked to this year say " people drive overloaded all the time, it's not a big deal", I say " people also drive drunk all the time, doesn't mean it's ok".
QUOTE]

I think more people get in serious accidents due to out of control sway of a TT than a couple or three hundred pounds over the "door sticker" capacity caused by a fifth wheel pin. You here of the perils of the many overloaded fifth wheel haulers but typical accidents are caused by other factors.
Anyway, you could save a couple of hundred pounds by going with an Andersen fifth wheel hitch.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #33

One of my many concerns with being overweight, even by a few hundred pounds, is if I get into an accident and Larry H Parker decides to weight my truck, I'm dead in the water..In addition, if one of those commercial CHP guys decide to weight me, I'm also dead in the water, call me paranoid, but that's my thought process..

By coincidence, I went to the dump yesterday and my truck was 7600lbs with 100lbs of junk and an empty tank, so I think my estimate of 8000lbs payload is pretty accurate.

Again thanks for the suggestions and ideas, really appreciate it..
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #34

I don't have any experience with or really heard about "Larry H Parker" weighing private vehicles, post wreak. I suppose it could happen. If it does, it would appear they'd be weighing the entire rig rather than the pin weight. As a legal eagle in tax law and not tort liability, I would nevertheless argue if they use the "door sticker" ratings for the tow vehicle they would have to use the manufacture's stated pin weight for the unit and show I exceeded that weight caused to accident, to prove negligence. As an analogy, if I purchase 3/8, grade 8 bolts that failed and injured someone, I wouldn't have to show the court I tested (weighed), the bolts to prove lack of negligence if I was within the specs of the manufacture.

I wouldn't argue the case anyway because anyone trying to be his own attorney has a fool for a client, as they say.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #35

Quote:
In addition, if one of those commercial CHP guys decide to weight me, I'm also dead in the water, call me paranoid, but that's my thought process..
CHP or any size and weight officer won't weigh your vehicle for a vehicle mfg tire placard payload number or a vehicle mfg GVWR. Just axle/tire load numbers or a weight number for registration purposes if your state requires one.

This paste and copy email dated in '09 from a rv owner and the answer from a CHP commander ; (snipped as its long)

Q: “Many of the owners travel over their tow vehicle GVWR and /or
GCWR. Are there any state laws against this? Or does the owner just
take the risk if they wish?

A: Section 1085(d) of Title 13 California Code of Regulations prohibits
the loading of tires above the maximum load rating marked on the tire,
or if unmarked the maximum load rating as specified in the applicable
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, or in a publication furnished to
the public by the tire manufacturer. This would most likely happen in
the case of a pickup truck towing a large fifth wheel travel trailer, as
those types of trailers tend to transfer a larger portion of their
weight to the last axle of the towing unit causing that axle to exceed
the tire load limits.
I trust this has adequately answered your questions. Should you desire
any further information, please contact Officer Ron Leimer, of my staff,
at (916) 445-1865.
Sincerely,
S. B. DOWLING, Captain
Commander
Commercial Vehicle Section"*

I think the CA CHP commander in the email made it clear what he will look at for a overloaded truck pulling a rv and what he won't look at......or any vehicle on the road.

Insurance....just like driving drunk or speeding or reckless driving or falling asleep or drugged out, they pay damages....but they also may cancel your policy.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
You left out the weight rating that is most commonly overloaded......the Payload or C.C.C......Cargo Carrying Capacity. In most cases, the Payload capacity will be overloaded before the GVWR, and almost certainly before the GAWR. This is especially true of the 1/2 Ton and 3/4 Ton trucks. When you have a 3/4 Ton Crew Cab, 4x4 Diesel, with a top of the line trim package on it, you can easily only have approx. 2000 lbs or less payload capacity. Ask me how I know that....and mine wasn't even a top of the line trim package, it was an XLT, not a Lariat or King Ranch. Of course I'm referring to the Ford product line.

I'm certainly not in that situation now (2016 F350 DRW with a payload sticker of 5270 lbs), but I was before I traded in the F250 and it's not a pleasant experience having more trailer than the truck can safely handle.
The GVWR, GAWR and GCWR include the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity). Unfortunately the CCC numbers are very misleading because of how they are calculated. The CCC numbers are usually calculated using the base vehicle plus driver and fuel. Any options, passengers, or normal accessories are not included. Worse yet they use a fictional number for the driver weight and anything over that isn't included.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
The GVWR, GAWR and GCWR include the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity). Unfortunately the CCC numbers are very misleading because of how they are calculated. The CCC numbers are usually calculated using the base vehicle plus driver and fuel. Any options, passengers, or normal accessories are not included. Worse yet they use a fictional number for the driver weight and anything over that isn't included.
Payload = GVWR minus truck weight as built and with a full tank of fuel. And somewhere around 2015 or 2016, I don't think they allow for 150 lbs of driver weight. That is your payload number as shown on the driver's side door post.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #38

I don't think anybody knows if there will be catastrophic failure at 5%, 10%, 20%, 50%, et cetera over the "door sticker" stated capacities. I personally believe if your close enough to exceeding your targeted capacity where a dog, person, or tank of fuel is going to cause you to question your vehicles ability to handle the rig, you need quit wringing your hands over it ando upgrade the vehicle.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #39

Hi, new guy here. Entering into the TT concept and want to have flexibility for the future (5er, etc). Looking at 8,000lbs TT max wet weight and looking at F-250 CC, SRW, 6.2l gas). According to the Ford website for payloads, my rear payload would be between 3,350-3,450#. And the payload for a similar F-350 SRW would be 3,240-3,740#. Not a huge difference.

1.Am I making a mistake by buying a F-250 at 10,000 GVWR versus going up to a F-350? Not much of a price difference. Better transmission and more rear leaf springs, etc. Not interested in a DRW at this point. (Haven't even bought a TT yet).
2. Most of the new inventory does not have the 5th wheel prep package. Is this difficult to add later on? If I have to order one, the cost will be thousands more for a similar truck...

Thx, Brian (Cincinnati)
osugasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugasman View Post
Hi, new guy here. Entering into the TT concept and want to have flexibility for the future (5er, etc). Looking at 8,000lbs TT max wet weight and looking at F-250 CC, SRW, 6.2l gas). According to the Ford website for payloads, my rear payload would be between 3,350-3,450#. And the payload for a similar F-350 SRW would be 3,240-3,740#. Not a huge difference.

1.Am I making a mistake by buying a F-250 at 10,000 GVWR versus going up to a F-350? Not much of a price difference. Better transmission and more rear leaf springs, etc. Not interested in a DRW at this point. (Haven't even bought a TT yet).
2. Most of the new inventory does not have the 5th wheel prep package. Is this difficult to add later on? If I have to order one, the cost will be thousands more for a similar truck...

Thx, Brian (Cincinnati)

Actual payload will vary by truck. Find one of each you like and compare. My 2016 F350 CC DRW has a payload of 5601 lbs. It doesn't have all the niceties that Xrated's has. If anything other than a light weight 5er is in your future I'd suggest a DRW. Either that or just know you may have to upgrade your truck again later.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #41

Hey tbos.....how ya doin?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
Actual payload will vary by truck. Find one of each you like and compare. My 2016 F350 CC DRW has a payload of 5601 lbs. It doesn't have all the niceties that Xrated's has. If anything other than a light weight 5er is in your future I'd suggest a DRW. Either that or just know you may have to upgrade your truck again later.
Thx for the input. This is a bit overwhelming, and I don't want to get stuck in "overanalysis" mode and never get the ball rolling. Have done the rent a Class C thing with the family, and we truly loved it. Will probably start with a F-350 SRW set up that supports safe towing of many trailers. Then, my wife and I plan on renting a few different travel trailers to check out the flow of the layouts before finally buying a TT. May consider a nicer 5er down the road.

--Brian
osugasman is offline   Reply With Quote