Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by farwest View Post
Looking at tow vehicles and I'm curious to get people's thoughts on the 2500 Suburban vs. Ford Expedition (not EL).
If not the long version of the Expedition, then why the long version of the GM? GM makes the short version of the Suburban, called the Yukon or Tahoe. Then comparing the Ford to the GM would be on level ground. The Tahoe, Yukon and Expedition are all half-ton SUVs. If you would settle for the short Expedition, why not the short version of the GM SUVs. Probably because GM didn't sell a Yukon or Tahoe 2500?

Quote:
Properly equipped, each can tow approx. 9000 lbs. How might they compare in power, fuel mileage, safety, towing performance, etc.?
That's like comparing an F-150 to an F-250. Not a fair comparison. The Expedition is a half-ton SUV, so the limiter is GVWR, which determines payload capacity. You can make an Expedition powerful enough to PULL a TT that grosses around 6,000 to 6,500 pounds, by choosing the right engine and tune and rear axle ratio. But you cannot beef up the suspension enough to HAUL the 800 to 900 pounds of hitch weight plus your family and stuff without exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle.

The GM 2500, on the other hand, is a three-quarter-ton SUV, that has a higher GVWR than the Expedition. I'm a Ford man, so I would prefer a Ford. But the last three-quarter-ton Ford SUV was the Excursion, and the newest one is now over 10 years old.

But you're talking used SUVs, because GM ceased production of the 2500 SUV a few years ago. So a three or four year old GM compared to a 10-year-old Excursion would be a fair comparison.

If my choice is limited to the Expedition or used GM 2500 SUVs, then I'm going to choose the GM because of the higher payload capacity. But I probably wouldn't choose either one. Instead I'd buy a GM 3500 window van. Or maybe the new Ford Transit 350 window van. My wife had no problem piloting our F-250 diesel for over 10 years, so I'm sure she could live with a one-ton van. Current passenger vans with towing package are not equipped for towing more than a rowboat, so I'd want a commercial van with diesel engine and short legs for towing, and that was customized to add the interior of my choice.

For a new van, order the "one ton" commercial van with windows all around and the drivetrain of your choice. My choice would be diesel and the fanciest trim package, then I'd add a carpeted floor and whatever seats I needed from a bond yard. (I did that 39 years ago to build a travel van for my family. Worked out great. Remember the custom "hippie" vans from the 1970s? That's sorta what I built, but is was for family travel while towing our camper trailer, not getting laid.)
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #16

As I read thru this thread I saw some that said the 5.4 litre Ford engine was lifeless. I want to second that comment. The way I would put it that engine makes more noise than acceleration. Ford's new engines are much much better. Anyone that is driving anything with the old Ford 5.4 litre engine should drive the 2011 or newer 5.0, or faster yet the Eco-Boost.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #17

I love 3/4, especially diesel.

However, we LOVE our 2015 Expy. We have the ecoboost, which is incredible - especially in towing. The power and torque is there when I want it, and it sounds cool doing it. Great tow vehicle.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #18

Picked up our new Jayco 23mb yesterday. Brought it home with our 1/2 ton suburban. All I can say is...gutless! Used weight dist hitch. Trailer was not loaded with any gear or fluids (just propane and 2 batteries on tongue) and the burb struggled to get up some long hills. Transmission got pretty hot. Front end felt like it was floating at times. All this and I was still more than 2k lbs under tow capacity. Trailer is 4400 dry and 6500 gvwr. Burb max is 7000.

I can only imagine it will get worse when I have gear and fluids in the trailer and people plus cargo in the burb.

It might eat gas as a daily runner but something tells me the better route is a 3/4 ton burb.
farwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 3/4 Burb would be the best choice. Better towing ability, better cooling, better brakes, longer for more stability. Your family will be safe driving around town. It will have the best resale.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #20

We have a 2000 Expedition with 3.73 fear ratio on the rear end. Our TT is UVW 3325 lbs with GVWR of 4340 lbs and I would never pull anything heavier with our current Expedition. It does OK on flat roads and doesn't seem to struggle much with hills but we live in the flat areas of North Texas.

With that said I am about to purchase a 2000 F250 gas V10 6.8L so we will be ready to upgrade our TT early next year that has a dry weight of 6540.
cburkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburkett View Post
We have a 2000 Expedition with 3.73 fear ratio on the rear end. Our TT is UVW 3325 lbs with GVWR of 4340 lbs and I would never pull anything heavier with our current Expedition. It does OK on flat roads and doesn't seem to struggle much with hills but we live in the flat areas of North Texas.

With that said I am about to purchase a 2000 F250 gas V10 6.8L so we will be ready to upgrade our TT early next year that has a dry weight of 6540.
The 2000 Expedition has the 2 valve per cylinder with a 260 horsepower rating. The newer Expeditions have a 3 valve per cylinder engine with a 310 horsepower rating. We had a 1999 with the same gear ratio. Our 2010 with the newer engine and same gear ratio is heads above the old one.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #22

Comparing the 2 trucks that you are is like comparing apples to oranges. the 3/4 ton sub will be a far better option than the expedition. They may show the same ratings but once the same loads are applied the 3/4 tons hd components will show through. It will pull better and stop better. No this isn't a gm vs ford, its 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton and which would be better. As others have said your not making a fair comparison. If your just looking at those 2, get the 3/4 ton every single time.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The 2000 Expedition has the 2 valve per cylinder with a 260 horsepower rating. The newer Expeditions have a 3 valve per cylinder engine with a 310 horsepower rating. We had a 1999 with the same gear ratio. Our 2010 with the newer engine and same gear ratio is heads above the old one.
As an owner of a 3/4ton Yukon XL, I would NEVER even consider pulling my 26ft bunk house with my wife and 4 kids inside...heck, even only 2 kids!

Is the gas mileage good without the trailer? No, it's around 12mpg. Is the gas mileage good while pulling the trailer? No, it's around 8-9mpg. Do I feel safer with a 3/4ton and my family aboard with the trailer in tow? Yes, and it is mathematically safer also!

It's a free country, but please consider your safety and the safety of others on the road.
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #24

Don't worry about the bigger truck for a daily driver. I have a 1 ton dually diesel as a daily driver. So even though it's a bigger truck, safety should be the main concern.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford