RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #1

3/4 Truck Distribution Hitch

Hello all,

I have a Ram 2500 truck and will be pulling a 33ft TT that weighs 6,767 dry. The tongue weight is 865lbs. Any suggestions on a DH? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a high end if its not necessary.

Thank you for your feedback!
garbear2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #2

A RAM 2500 can handle an 865 lb tongue load without a weight distribution hitch. The load will actually balance out the load on the front axle resulting from the weight of the engine and transmission.
move on is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #3

You don't say what the loaded TW is. Is 867 lbs dry? If not you'll be close to 900 lbs.
Hanging 900 lb 4' behind the axle on a Ram 2500 will squat it pretty good and if gas will raise the front up enough to warrant a WDH

Most any 1000/10,000 WDH should do the trick. I'd look at one with built in sway like an Equalizer/Blue Ox Track Pro.
The good thing about a WDH is it firms of the connection between the TT and truck.
I could easily of not used a WDH with my last 3 trucks and definitely with my current 3500 SRW CTD, but I choose to because without one the ride sucks if you're not on perfectly flat roads.
Anytime you hit bridge expansions, road construction or just undulating road surfaces the front end of the truck will pogo stick on you.
By running a WDH you tighten up the bouncing.

My 1st combo of 950 lb TW and a 2500 CTD absolutely needed a WDH. My current truck has 4552 lbs for payload and my TW is 1350 lbs. Without WDH and even though the front of the truck only rises 1" or less the front bounces up and down over the above road conditions.
If I going to spend the time to hitch up I may as well hitch up a WDH that has built in sway control.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #4

Don’t think you’ll have problem towing it without a WDH but definitely get some sort of anti sway device. But people are going to hate your headlight at night if you don’t level the truck.

I think all trucks should have adjustable headlight like Tundra does. I’m talking about a switch in the cab for leveling the headlight, not screwing around under the hood. That’s one of the most useful features many HD trucks don’t have.
nicky8668 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #5

Agree with Cumminsfan as a WD will greatly enhance the ride.

My experience - my F-150 with a Drawtite WD hitch towing a 5,500lb 26.5' long trailer rode better with less bounciness than my F-450 towing a 6,500lb trailer 29.5' long trailer without a WD hitch.

So a WD hitch will reduce the bouncing.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #6

The problem with WD hitches is that they tend to destabilize the tow vehicle. The more weight distribution that is applied the easier it will be for the rig to jackknife. If you have to make a sharp turn to avoid an accident the trailer could come around and spin the rig around, probably rolling over the trailer and maybe even the truck. If you want maximum safety you will not use a WD hitch, as long as your rear axle can handle the load.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #7

Size the hitch to the trailer, not the truck.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

I agree with several above. Thats not alot of tongue weight for the truck. Id still get a wdh with built in sway. I towed a 30 ft toy hauler with close to 1500 lbs of tongue weight with a 2019 f250. I used a curt wdh rated for 1500 lbs and it was about 5-600 bucks. Easy to set up and worked perfectly. Just my experience. Good luck.
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
The problem with WD hitches is that they tend to destabilize the tow vehicle. The more weight distribution that is applied the easier it will be for the rig to jackknife. If you have to make a sharp turn to avoid an accident the trailer could come around and spin the rig around, probably rolling over the trailer and maybe even the truck. If you want maximum safety you will not use a WD hitch, as long as your rear axle can handle the load.
If it's that big of a safety issue then why do truck manufactures require a WDH on certain trucks with certain tongue weights and tell you in their towing guides how much of the front you're supposed to return back to OEM height?

I can guaranty you one thing. My 3500 tows crappy W/O a WDH. I'd much rather take my chances on a freak sudden swerve situation vs 99.9% of the time not being in control of the TT. Basically what you're suggesting is that I tow on the edge 99'9% of the time when not even a sudden swerve accident could cause me to lose control.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #10

Again agreeing with Cumminsfan.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #11

Manufacturers know that WD hitches are destabilizing. This has been known by automotive engineers for decades. The reason they say to use a WD hitch for high loads is because they cannot justify their towing claims if their rear axles are overloaded.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Manufacturers know that WD hitches are destabilizing. This has been known by automotive engineers for decades. The reason they say to use a WD hitch for high loads is because they cannot justify their towing claims if their rear axles are overloaded.
Show me the data that manufactures claim that. Hearsay don't count with me.

FWIW my truck has a 7,000 RAWR. Unloaded rear axle is around 2900. Add 1350 lbs thats 4250 lbs. Not even close to being overloaded. In fact even If I towed the max at 20,450, my rear axle would only be 4945.

I can't think of any situation where a trucks RAWR would be overloaded towing the max tow ratings.

Even an F150 towing it's max on the receiver 1200-1,320 would not over load the rear axle.

Manufactures already covered their arse with the "Do not exceed the RAWR, FAWR or GVWR" sticker.

Good trailer brakes are supposed to keep the trailer from pushing the rear of the tow vehicle in a sudden stop swerve situation.

WDH or no WDH if your brakes are good enough then you spin.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:33 PM   #13

My '03 RAM 2500 has a front axle GAWR of 4630 lb and a rear axle GAWR of 6000 lbs. GVWR is 9000 lbs.

With a full tank of fuel, the truck otherwise empty, weighs, front 4060 lbs and rear 2860 lbs.

gross vehicle weight is 6920 lbs.

Throw the Bigfoot on the ball with no WD hitch (did that twice, once empty after buying it, and the first trip out) and empty going home felt fine, but once I loaded it with stuff, and filled the water tank (poorly placed at the extreme rear of the trailer) it felt crappy, and this has a 2 ft tongue extension with the forward cargo pod. Lots of chucking over RR tracks and bumps and dips, and just generally uncomfortable. However the weights said it was fine.

Front axle 3680
Rear axle 4040
Trailer axle 5060
Gross combined 12780

Basically the trailer weighs 5860 total and has a tongue weight of 800 lbs, close to 14% which is ideal, but the trailer tows terrible on the ball alone. I added the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch with 1000 lb bars and set the chains at the recommended 9th link, and while it does move some weight to the front (measuring before and after fender heights) it is no where close to 100% and probably not even 50%, but man does it tow much smoother and feels more stable. This was going thru North East Georgia and Franklin NC to Cherokee and about ten miles of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Lots of hills and grades.

I have a friend who was towing a 30 ft Avion with a '04 RAM 3500 DRW and he said it towed poorly without the weight bars, it was an older Reese cam type hitch, very noisy, but the hitch smoothed out the rig considerably.

If WD hitches destabilize vehicles to the point of being dangerous, we would be seeing RV's laying alongside the road in a heap, everywhere, but we are not, so I take it that while there may be a scenario that can get you in trouble, the hitch will be only one of several factors. I'll take my chances with the hitch.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck and trailer hitched up and ready to go.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	862.7 KB
ID:	315210  
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:19 AM   #14

Manufacturers don't publish their proprietary data but here is the most comprehensive study on the issue of weight distribution available in the public domain.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/c...508...eq=81&size=125

It includes a mathematical analysis and results of hundreds of full-scale tests using U-haul and Airstream trailers. The principles developed in the study are used in the SAE J2807 tow vehicle understeer requirements.

Tags
hitch