Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Question 4 wheel drive towing rv?????

With a 4x4 ram 3500 dually..... do you "ever" use all 4 wheels to tow... if so, when is it used????
SteveFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have used 4 wheel drive but only when needed. We have encountered a snow storm where we were unable to get going from a parking spot. Used 4 wheel to get moving and then shifted into 2.

Some also claim they use 4 low while parking their units as there is more power and it is slower enabling them to have more control with the accelerator. This would be especially good if used when trying to park when it is wet or conditions are less than optimal.

Using 4 wheel on dry hard surfaces will not be good for the driveline.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:37 AM   #3

Backing onto blocking to level rig with 4 low is very nice!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #4

Depends on where ya go. I use 4wd alot...of course I prolly take my toyhauler to places most round here would have a heart attack at the thought.

I think with a dually more than not on wet grass and loose gravel...I will let you know after this weekend. Will be going atv in and have to pull my rig across a sand pit to get to camping site. Test out the new Ram and see what she be made of...
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

Always use low range to drive onto leveling blocks, but with front hubs unlocked. It is an auto transmission so no real danger of over-torquing rear axles.

Also use high range 4WD with hubs locked when on loose gravel roads as it is more stable.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #6

I use it when I need or want extra traction, ideally before the rear tires spin.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
a caveat,
on SOME 4x4's (mostly with dash engagement switches) you have to be IN 4x4 before you need it as they will not 'lock' without some movement...
Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I made the mistake of ordering our truck with ribbed tires. They are pitiful on snow and wet grass so 4 wheel makes up the difference. The tires are due for replacement and will be replaced with a more agressive tread.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

My land rover is in full 4x4 mode all the time and it tows like a dream.
buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddaman View Post
My land rover is in full 4x4 mode all the time and it tows like a dream.
Good to know, so does my Highlander.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've had this truck since April of this year (so maybe 7 months), and 4x4 low range has come in handy a time or two. Once in Grand Coulee, WA where we encountered a very steep gravel road leading into the campground. It wasn't a problem coming in, but going out with 14k in tow was another story. The second time was at a campground on Lake Barkley in KY. Same thing, steep gravel road at the entrance. Both times I was thankful for the option.
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Depends on where ya go. I use 4wd alot...of course I prolly take my toyhauler to places most round here would have a heart attack at the thought.

I think with a dually more than not on wet grass and loose gravel...I will let you know after this weekend. Will be going atv in and have to pull my rig across a sand pit to get to camping site. Test out the new Ram and see what she be made of...
Bingo, pulling on and off of wet grass and mud is the key for me to switch on 4wd.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used 4WD last night to get to Yosemite Valley. Chains on the truck and trailer, snow falling, and without 4WD the front end drifted around a bit. I appreciated the extra grip.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #14

I have needed additional traction pulling a trailer up an incline during a snow squall. Now if you would have asked me if I would ever tow a trailer in a snow storm I would have laughed and said 'no way'. But just goes to show you ...you just never know.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing