Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

5'5" shortest bed ram 1500 1/2 ton 5th wheel towing

I have a ram 1/2 ton with a very short 5'5" bed. New to 5th wheel towing. Just purchased a 16 k slider used from husky/valley. Wondering if I will have enough turn radius. Have NOT even purchased the trailer yet, but looking for a 24 or 25 ft. Max length.

Have not installed this yet until I get some feedback here.....any good experience would be helpful.
Poperob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

What's the towing capacity? Most 1/2 tons are able to handle the pin weight. You would be better off with a standard TT below the GVWR of your truck.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #3

Before I retired from Dodge , short box of your length was only in Dakotas . Most people will tell you there are problems towing a 5er with a 6'6" box , both my TV's were that length box.
I'll see what I can pull up , but JMHO , I think your in trouble.
What year is this P/U of yours ?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, you would be better off with a bumper pull travel trailer than a 5er. GVWR and Cargo Carrying Capacity is the problem.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

When heavy duty trucks have a short bed they are talking about a 6 1/2' bed. On a half ton truck with just a 5 1/2' bed you will have to be extra extra careful.

Some newer 5th wheels will have the front cap designed with cutouts to reduce the chance of contact with the truck cab.

When you get the 5th wheel find a place to slowly practice backing. A 5th wheel can turn real easy, fast, and shape when backing. Get out of the truck often to check clearance and note the angle.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

The new 1/2 ton Rams show a 5' 7" bed.

I would contact Reese as they can tell you if the 5' 7" bed Ram and their 16k hitch is compatible.
There are two contact areas to watch out for.
Of course the trucks cab and front corner of the trailer on hard turns. The other is the back of the pin box contacting the trucks tail gate or sides of the trucks bed when in slide position.

Much also can depend on the 5ers front corner profile.

If the manual slider doesn't pan out check with Reese about there "Sidewinder". see the video on their website.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #7

Thank you all. Yes it looks to be a 5'7" bed (not what the dealer sheet said) and I never even considered the GVWR, because it has a class3 hitch capable of pulling aroun 9500lbs with the 3.92 gears. I think the 2012's have a coil type suspension in back, maybe that is a problem as well as the clearance issues. Thank ou for the concern of it hitting the fenders in the slider position as I never considered tht either. Just thought a 5th wheel would be much easier t tow and due to the length restriction we have I can only get a max 26' to fit in the barn so I thought the overhead area for the bed was a net idea to save space (or give more space). Any other thoughts about this idle winder thingy would be helpful.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poperob1 View Post
I have a ram 1/2 ton with a very short 5'5" bed. New to 5th wheel towing. Just purchased a 16 k slider used from husky/valley. Wondering if I will have enough turn radius. Have NOT even purchased the trailer yet, but looking for a 24 or 25 ft. Max length.

Have not installed this yet until I get some feedback here.....any good experience would be helpful.
Newer 1/2 tins are capable of towing smaller 5ers, 24' to 25' is most likel doable for a 1500 with out too much trouble.

Payload and pin weight need to be compaired to see if they would fit within the numbers.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if the OP will be looking for a 3/4 ton truck before the year is out or will he make it to next spring......

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #10

I doubt you'll have enough room to make very wide turns due to the tiny bed.
We had a 5.5' Ford and talking to Ford, you can't pull a 5th wheel.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #11

Thanks everyone, I decided to not go with the 5th wheel option. Now have a 16K Husky slider on Detroit's craigslist :)
Old 09-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #12

For several years, I towed a 27 ft Cougar 5th wheel with a 2002 Ram quadcab swb. I never had any issues with towing as the truck was safely within its limitations. However, you will have to use caution when making sharp turns especially when backing the rv. If not, you will be like a friend of mine who tows with a 3/4 ton mega cab. No back glass and a big ole skint mark on the truck and camper. Towing a 5th wheel is doable and it can be done safely as long as you pay attention and take your time. Just my opinion
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, towing