Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #15

Dave,

Thanks for the link. Going with the short bed and crew cab (my target truck) I get:

F-250 - 10,000lbs
F-350 - 11,400lbs

Mike
mdmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
As a reference point, my '99 F350 crew cab dually on the scale at the land fill with myself, a passanger, and full load of fuel weighed right about 7,700 lbs. Add about another 100 lbs for the hitch and I would be about 7,800 lbs. ready to tow. Remember this is a dually, so it wil be heavier than a single rear wheel truck. My weights were very similar at a different landfill, so I am comfortable the scales were calibrated accurately.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #17

I obtained an actual dealer invoice (not the window sticker but what spits out of the computer), and if the shipping weight is to be believed, with all my selected options, it is 6,920 lbs.

Mike
Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #18

That sounds about right, just don't forget that its easy to add up to 1000 lbs of "stuff" to the shipping weight with; fuel, driver and passengers, bed mats, nerf bars, 5th wheel hitches, mudflaps, jumper cables, etc. etc. etc.

Dave

ps. My 2001.5 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 LWB auto weighed 6950 lbs with me and a full tank of diesel. My 2003 Dodge QC 4x4 LWB Dually with all the crap I've bolted on to it is 8338 lbs with me and a full tank of fuel.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:52 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mdmalone:
Going with the short bed and crew cab (my target truck).... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike,

Please be aware that, by selecting a short bed to tow a 5th wheel, you may have to use a sliding 5th wheel hitch to prevent 5th-wheel-to-cab interference when turning. It all depends on the hitch location, pinbox geometry, width of 5th wheel, distance from centerline of pin to front corners of the 5th wheel, etc. Extended pinboxes help, but you can still get in trouble as you approach 90* angles depending on the trailer dimensions.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:14 PM   #20

Rusty,

Thanks. I was wondering about that. It sounds like the slider is the solution. My preference is for a short bed, is this a reason to consider an 8' bed? I would prefer not to have the full bed.

Mike
Old 01-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #21

I guess let me ask this. Will the slider give me the same clearance as if I had a long bed?

Mike
Old 01-24-2005, 01:42 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
mdmalone....with a long bed you can haul more than you haul with a short bed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mdmalone:
I guess let me ask this. Will the slider give me the same clearance as if I had a long bed? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike,

With the sliding hitch functioning, cab clearance shouldn't be a problem. With a manual slider, though, you have to remember to use it. An automatic sliding hitch is available, but it is somewhat more expensive.

Rusty
Old 01-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #24

"AND... most important... it tows a lot better... there is no "white knuckle" experience like with a TT when the winds come up or a big truck or bus passes you at 70 mph.."

I don't know why it was necessary to put this piece of urban legend in this thread, but I can't let it go unchallenged. It has to be challenged because it's a patent overgeneralization.

It is true that some poorly selected or poorly hitched TTs can cause a white knuckle ride. That is not the same thing as the above statement that infers that all TTs cause problems when the wind comes up or a big something passes. That is simply Bravo Sierra.

My TT (and the one before this one) have never, not even once, swayed or caused "white knuckles." That includes losing (not a flat... it was shredded and gone) a tire at 70 mph, Exceeding 80MPH while passing a slow moving car on a two-lane road, emergency swerves, winds in excess of 30 mph... etc, etc. I can't say that I have a lot of experience with big rigs passing as I am usually passing them. No "white knuckles."

A more nearly correct statement would be: Some TTs tow poorly because their owners did not fix whatever was wrong. No TT HAS to give its owner a "white knuckle" drive." A properly selected and hitched TT will tow every bit as good as any fiver.
ATVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #25

For normal driving, and that includes at regular intersections, I shouldn't have to adjust the slide, say to make a right turn from one street to another, would I?

Mike
Old 01-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Mike,

For normal driving situations, I wouldn't think so. Hard right turns entering a parking lot, etc. could require use of the sliding hitch - again, depending on the dimensions and geometry of the 5th wheel RV.

Rusty
Old 01-25-2005, 05:22 PM   #27

I went and took a look at the trailer we bought and the pin actually sits fairly far forward of the front of the trailer. I think I will be ok with a shortbed, at least I wouldn't need a slider unless I really had to manuever into something really ugly.

We'll see how it goes. I think I am going to go with the 1-ton truck, crew cab, shortbed.

Thanks for everyone's help! I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike
Old 01-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #28

I would also suggest that you really look at the 4:10 rear end if you are going to be toward the top of your max weight. I have a F350 with crew cab and a long bed due to the fact I really find a great ride with the extra wheelbase and I don't have a lot of problems getting around town with it. Sometimes I have to take 2 cuts to get into a parking spot but everytime I haul the camper I am glad to have the wheelbase!!

Grant
96 Ford Powerstroke, CC,Long bed DRW, TWildman custom burned 4 pos chip, 3.0 downpipe and Bully Dog 4.0 exhaust, cat deleted, AFE intake system,boost,pyro (located post turbo),trans gage (located in test port),Torqueshift tranny cooler,Firestone air
Horse-Show Manager is offline   Reply With Quote