Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 04:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
>"The thing is, what I have been seeing is 0 payload capacity on 4x4 XLT crew cabs"

Not sure why they are doing that.
The 10,000 lb thing is a 'magic number' for taxes.

I'll take a look and see what I can find.
Found it. Max Payload F250 4x4 Crew Cab (SWB/10,000lbs) = 3,450 lbs.

2017 FordĀ® Super Duty F250 XLT Truck | Model Highlights | Ford.com
Select Specifications.
Scroll down on the page...
Down on the page... Maximum Payload Selector.

So, if your trailer is under 12,000 lbs...
and don't max out your payload (unlikely with that combo),
you're good to go.
Those payload numbers mean ABSOLUTELY nothing, when shopping for a truck for towing. That 3450 is a base truck, single cab, 2 wheel drive, gas motor, and absolutely nothing on it.....like a work truck. That is max payload that Ford offers. Real world numbers (unless you buy an exact truck like that) will be anywhere from somewhat lower, to a lot lower payload. So here is how it works. From about 2015 model year and up, the payload for the truck (YELLOW sticker on the driver side door post) reflects the payload of THAT truck with a full tank of fuel.....NO Driver! So in a real world scenario, whatever the payload sticker says, then you deduct the weight of the driver, passenger, kids, pets, additional cargo, tools, ....whatever goes into or on the truck. Then you deduct pin weight of the trailer and hitch weight of the 5ver hitch. You will most likely find that MANY 3/4Ton trucks DO NOT have enough Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC or payload) for a 5th Wheel Trailer because of the approx. 20% pin weight based on the GVWR of the trailer. DO NOT be fooled by the advertisement of "payload" numbers for Ford, Chevy, GMC, Ram.....they all do the same thing....they advertise their maximum payload....and that is ALWAYS on a stripped down work truck single cab....blah, blah, blah, as I stated above.

Real world numbers for payload only come in two ways....
1. The yellow payload sticker on the driver's side door post
2. If you can drive the truck to a scale and get an accurate weight before buying it, then deduct that actual weight from the GVWR of the truck.

So the bottom line is this....the more stripped down the truck is, the higher the payload capacity will be. The more equipment on it....Diesel, 4x4, Crew Cab, Lariat version, etc., the lower the payload capacity will be.

On any truck, the more stuff it has, the less payload capacity it will have, because payload capacity is based on the GVWR minus how the truck is equipped.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 05:08 AM   #16

fvp923 wrote:
Quote:
My question is am I understnading this right? Will a 5th wheel with GVWR 9500 lb's or less match up with an F250 with the silver tag showing a GVWR rating of 10000 lb's?
My requirements for a truck are that it is a 4x4, F250 and gas. It would be nice to have an XLT package as well. I am yet undecided on Crew Cab vs Extended Cab. I would prefer not to have to get into an F350 due to extra cost.
OK, let's use your example of a 9500 lb GVWR trailer and a F250. The trailer loaded to full GVWR (9500 lbs) should see a pin weight of approx. 1900 lbs, which is 20% of the trailer total weight. Next, let's look at a 5ver hitch for pulling that trailer. Most likely in the 175 lb range +/- either way a few pounds. Now lets add up the driver's weight, the passengers weight, kid and pets if any, cargo.....like tools, firewood, BBQ grill, maybe a bicycle or two.....anything AND EVERYTHING that wasn't on or in the truck when it was built. Add all those weights up and the total for all of that, should not exceed the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC or payload) of the YELLOW STICKER of the truck, which is located on the driver's side door post.

In your example above, just the pin weight and the hitch are going to total up to almost 2100 lbs. So if your yellow payload sticker says....2450 lbs....which is just a number I made up because we don't know the exact payload of an imaginary truck.....that only leaves you 350 lbs for Everything else you are going to take with you......passengers, kids, pets, additional cargo like firewood, tools, BBQ grill, bicycles, extra fuel.....everything else.

Most likely, you simply aren't going to have enough payload with a 3/4Ton truck....but will not know for sure until you settle on a particular truck with a known payload capacity.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #17

One thing to consider other than weights are measurements. Many of the lighter shorter 5ers were designed to be half ton towable and may not even fit a new F250 4X4. There are models of Cougar fifth wheels that have an overhang height of 59". The tail gate of the truck you are considering sits at 60 1/2". With 6" of bed rail clearance the trailer will have to be lifted 5" assuming 2" of truck squat. It would be a shame and expensive to have to do trailer modifications from the outset. Take a measuring tape with you when shopping and consider the fit.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #18

>"Those payload numbers mean ABSOLUTELY nothing, when shopping for a truck for towing. That 3450 is a base truck, single cab, 2 wheel drive, gas motor, and absolutely nothing on it.....like a work truck. That is max payload that Ford offers."

Nope. The payload is specified on different combos of wheelbase/cab/other options.
That package is what the original poster specified.

Why don't you take a look at the specs page?
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #19

Quote:
>"Those payload numbers mean ABSOLUTELY nothing, when shopping for a truck for towing. That 3450 is a base truck, single cab, 2 wheel drive, gas motor, and absolutely nothing on it.....like a work truck. That is max payload that Ford offers."

Nope. The payload is specified on different combos of wheelbase/cab/other options.

I believe that you are talking about the specs that Ford shows that list payload capacity and the towing limits for conventional and fifth wheel trailers. Those are not absolute numbers. The absolute numbers are on the door post. The weights listed on those charts are also off and your truck will not match what they say. My new 2017 has a payload capacity lower than the so called specs. Don't believe what you read in all circumstances.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #20

Quote:

Oh I have....many times, that's why I'm 100% sure of what I posted. Here is an example of my present truck....
2016 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.7 Diesel, Lariat King Ranch package, and of course the 8' bed. GVWR is 14,000 lbs. Maximum payload is 5710 lb. MY TRUCK....payload is 5270 lbs. Had I bought a stripped down version of the truck instead of the one I have, payload capacity would be very close to the 5710 lbs. Had I bought a gas engine, instead of the Diesel, the maximum payload would have been 6460 lbs....and depending on the equipment on it, some number less than the 6460

Every manufacturer lists Maximum payload in their spec sheets....which is a true number........IF.....you buy the truck they are talking about when they publish that number. Basically a truck, an engine/trans/rearend, reg cab, gas engine, XL package (Ford), and stripped down without ANY of the stuff that comes with the higher priced (and weight) packages. You probably should learn a little more about that kind of stuff, especially if you are looking to purchase anytime in the near future.......OR....you can go by the Yellow Sticker on the driver's side door pillar and see what the Payload capacity is for THAT particular truck.

Tags
5th wheel