Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandflea View Post
I have a 16K Reese to pull my 31' Wilderness, and it is interchangable between my 91 GMC 1500 [with air shocks], and my 94 Chevy K3500 dually. I use the 1500 around the area and the 3500 for road trips. The main reason I got the Reese was the locking jaws, similar to the Holland and Zern hitches on my semis. I really don't like having a flat piece of steel bar across my pin, BUT that is my personal preference. If your pulling yours with a 1/2 t pickup, 150/1500, be careful of the handling at higher speeds, mine gets a bit squirrely above 45 mph, seeing as the trailer weighs twice the tractor, 11K/5K, just something to consider. As far as the flat bedd, a sheet of plywood on 3-4 2x4's works too.

Thanks! Great points.
normanis14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? We are first time 5th wheel owners and are looking forward to doing some traveling.....

Thank you.

Jeff
With no GVWR RAWR FAWR numbers given from your truck we can only give opinions based on nothing. Give us some numbers.

Many feel a 1/2 ton can't tow any 5th wheel trailer which we know better. Depends on the trucks numbers matching up to the trailers numbers.

The 150 series 230 rl Grand Design shows a 6945 lb dry weight plus 2550 lb CCC = 9495 gvwr. This can equate 20% pin weights up to 1400 dry up to 1900 lbs or so road ready.
The F150HD with a 8200-7850 gvwr and 4800 rawr shows to have 2600-2900 lb gvwr based payloads and up to 11000 lb tow ratings based on gear ratios drive train 3.5EB or the 5.0 engine/etc.
So yeah the F150HD can handle that size trailer.

Now if you have a F150 6800-7000 gvwr with those small 3800-4050 lb rawr 1400 lb payloads......or the mid grade F150 7550 gvwr with 4550 rawr 1800-2100 lb payloads then these two packages simply isn't a good match for that size trailer.
Help us with your trucks weight spec numbers and we can give you something based on real weights.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:32 AM   #17

B&W does not support rotating pin boxes with the turnover ball and the companion hitch. There is 1 point that the hitch mounts with and the forced rotation of the pin box could cause issues with the hitch.

[URL]http://www.turnoverball.com/support-and-resources/our-blog/keep-wedges-out-of-your-companion-fifth-wheel-hitch/[URL]
jtobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Yeah, several thoughts.

First thought is your F-150 will probably be overloaded with that 5er unless you are diligent in minimizing the weight you haul in the trailer and the F-150.

Trailer GVWR is 9,495, with 17.2% dry hitch weight. Probable empty weight with propane and battery(ies) is about 8,000 pounds, so a lightly loaded 5er ready for a camping trip will be about 8,500 to 9,000 pounds. Expect at least 18% pin weight, so if you perturb DW by keeping the gross wet and loaded trailer weight down to 8,500, that's pin weight of 1,530 pounds. A decent 5er hitch will weigh about 200 pounds installed, for a total hitch weight of about 1,730 pounds. If you subtract 1,730 pounds from the payload capacity of your F-150, how much payload capacity do you have left for passengers, pets, tools, toys, campfire wood, etc.? Payload capacity is on the yellow sticker in your driver's door jamb. Here's the specs for the 230RL.
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/230rl

Now for the 5er hitch. Reese makes several different 5er hitches, from inadequate to really good. The Pro Series is their economy hitch, and I'd rate it as inadequate. I began towing a 5er with the Pro Series 5er hitch, and soon threw it away and replaced it with a much-better Reese 5er hitch. Assuming you'll buy a hitch with "industry standard" above bed rails, here's the minimum Reese 5er hitch I would buy now:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-RP30047.html

Note that hitch #RP30047 costs $498.91. The less expensive Pro Series costs $413.31 from the same source. Trust me, you'll be glad you spent the additional $86 to get the better hitch. The B&W Patriot costs $571 from that same source. There's no reason to pay the extra $172 over the cost of the Reese #RP30047.

But if you want an empty bed when the hitch is removed, then you want below-bed rails. The price went way up in a hurry, but some folks insist on nothing in the bed when the hitch is removed. Reese has your back. It's the premium (expensive) hitch called the Reese Elite hitch, and they make one that will fit in an F-150 with 5.5' bed:
https://www.etrailer.com/5w-2014_For...furl=-c1-Below

Note that I used a 2014 F-150 in the above links. If your F-150 is not a 2014 and you order a hitch from eTrailer, you need to change vehicles to get the custom install kit that will fit your truck.

Curious on why you call the pro series inadequate? Delearship installed a pro series, my 1st 5er. One thing I noticed is that when you stop and go, it’s almost like the pin is just a tad bit “loose” inside the lock jaws. That may not be the case, just feels like when I go, there’s a slight millisecond where my truck moves but my 5th wheel doesnt, if that makes sense
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtobbe View Post
[URL]http://www.turnoverball.com/support-and-resources/our-blog/keep-wedges-out-of-your-companion-fifth-wheel-hitch/[URL]
Typo prevents the link from being clickable. Fix that typo and you have this clickable link:

http://www.turnoverball.com/support-...th-wheel-hitch
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Curious on why you call the pro series inadequate? Delearship installed a pro series, my 1st 5er. One thing I noticed is that when you stop and go, it’s almost like the pin is just a tad bit “loose” inside the lock jaws. That may not be the case, just feels like when I go, there’s a slight millisecond where my truck moves but my 5th wheel doesnt, if that makes sense
Back when I bought mine, one big difference was that the Pro Series had only 2-way tilt of the head, so you had to have both trailer and truck sitting at the same angle to connect. Reese fixed that recently so now the Pro Series has 4-way tilt.

So the remaining difference is that problem you mentioned. The Pro Series uses simpler system to lock the hitch onto the kingpin. There has to be at least a little tolerance between the jaws, locking bar and the kingpin so the bar will slide and lock easily. You know the results of that loose tolerance = rattling around or "chucking" of the hitch. The better Reese 5er hitches use a more complicated "◦Double jaw mechanism, heavier for longer wear, improved tolerances, eliminating chucking in jaw system."
Old 12-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #21

Thanks for the info. So much next question would be, upgrading to a better Reese possible with the base/rails I already have? I had a slider installed. There’s a similar Reese 16k hitch like my pro series but the locking jaws look the same. Assuming that won’t fix my problem
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
So much next question would be, upgrading to a better Reese possible with the base/rails I already have?
Yes. The Reese rails are the "industry standard" bed rails.

Quote:
I had a slider installed. There’s a similar Reese 16k hitch like my pro series but the locking jaws look the same. Assuming that won’t fix my problem
They look similar, but they're not the same. Read the fine print in the hitch description. The original Reese design (now called the Select Series) 30047 says: "Unlike the more economical slide-bar models (i.e., the Pro Series), the rounded, 2-piece jaw on this fifth-wheel trailer hitch inhibits rattle and movement by securely wrapping around your trailer's king pin, resulting in easier hookup and a safer, quieter ride."

The even better Titan 30866, which is •SAE J2638 COMPLIANT, says:
"•Cast dual-jaw system provides more jaw-to-king-pin contact than traditional dual-jaw hitches
◦Geared teeth ensure even, secure closure for full 360-degree contact
◦Secure connection means minimal jarring and chucking"
http://www.reeseprod.com/products/fi...BrcLCGYA3BkB8d
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
Old 01-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #23

I towed my 10K GVWR fifth wheel for 3 years and over 15,000 miles with a 2011 F150 Ecoboost Max Tow short bed. I added Supersprings and Bilsteins for a better ride. With a loaded pin weight of 1650 lbs, I was within all ratings except the rear axle which was about 600 lbs over. I never felt like I had too little truck and towed up and down mountains all over the US. I traded the truck in at 65K because I wanted more options on the next fiver. The only thing I would have done different was LT tires instead of P-rated, and now I would use Sumosprings instead of Supersprings. I bought the F150 because of a 76 mile daily commute over secondary roads but wanted to tow a fifth wheel instead of the travel trailer I was tired of. Of coarse I was limited. I carried nothing in the bed and tried not to put anything heavy in the fiver basement. I had a Reese Sidewinder pin box and a Reese 16K hitch.
Oh, there is one other thing I would have done different. Instead of buying off the lot, I would have ordered the HD Payload Package, but I wasn't aware of it at the time.
According to the Fifth Wheel Safe Towing website, the F150 is the only half-ton capable of towing a HT series fifth wheel.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #24

If you were 600 lbs over the RAWR, then you were over the GCVWR and GVWR. Like all 1/2 tons, once you reach the RAWR you also reach the GVWR. BTDT.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanis14 View Post
I looked into the Andersen hitch and really liked the whole concept of it but did find out that it just won't work properly with a sidewinder....darn it!

Thanks for the comments....much appreciated!
It most certainly will work with the Sidewinder. All you do is reinsert the 2 locking bolts so the pin box no longer swivels. This basically makes your Sidewinder a standard pinbox. If you don't believe me call Reese to verify. I did it on my previous fiver before I got our Grand Design.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
It most certainly will work with the Sidewinder. All you do is reinsert the 2 locking bolts so the pin box no longer swivels. This basically makes your Sidewinder a standard pinbox. If you don't believe me call Reese to verify. I did it on my previous fiver before I got our Grand Design.
Yes, we talked about that. I think we would run into trouble even if we locked out the pin box as we have a 5.5' box. Without using a slider, I'd be too nervous about turns.
normanis14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, new member