Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch shortbed

Hi,

I'm currently in the market for 5th wheel. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 with the duramax. I believe it's a 6.5' bed. I have a few questions and I'm hoping to get some insight on what others are using for hitches in shortbeds.

1. What brands and models are you pleased with?

2. Do you absolutely need a sliding?

3. Manual or automatic sliding?

4. Will it fit under my hard flip bed cover when not in use?

5. Will I need to remove the hard cover? When flipped up against window that will probably make clearance less.

I don't mind paying for a quality set up. I am looking for a good design and ease of use.

Thanks in advance🙏
Chrisr813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

If you've got a newer 5er, with the contoured front cap, you should be ok...if you decide on a slider, the auto ones are the only way to fly......only thing to watch with the slider, is it's height......I had to raise pin box as high as possible, and, my choice, lowered my truck......can't flip trailer axles with my type of suspension.....there are also trailers that have what's called a Reese Revolution pin box, after market name for this is called a Sidewinder, that allows the trailer to pivot 22" back from hitch.....these use a standard 5er hitch...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

I have been using a manual Reese slider for the last 14 years with two different trailers. For the most part it has served me well, however a couple of times I wanted to use it I couldn't get it to slide. It seems that you can get it in a little bind and it just won't move. In those cases I just backed in without it, although I could of just found a level spot in the road and moved it there and than came back to my camping spot. One time I got in a hurry and made a really tight turn pulling into a gas pump and just barely kissed the cab with my square front Jayco. Fortunately it hardly even scuffed the paint, but it could of been disastrous!
So, do you absolutely need a slider...no, especially with the newer curved front trailers, but I would recommend you at least get a manual slider. An auto slider would be much more convenient, but they have their own issues, such as cost, weight, and if you have a cushioned pin box such as the MorRyde like I have on my Montana than you will need to use a capture plate that will disable some of the cushion. Most likely it will fit under your cover, but I have no idea about the front clearance when you have it flipped up. Keep in mind that if you are transitioning from a flat road to a steep incline, such as you may encounter when pulling into an elevated parking, lot, the front of your trailer may dip and decrease the clearance and if you are making a tight turn at the same time the corner of the trailer could catch your cover.
If I were starting from scratch and wasn't concerned about the cost, I would get an auto slider and a cushioned pin box.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #4

Great responses, thanks.
Chrisr813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:30 PM   #5

Chris, welcome to the forum. You will most likely never need a sliding hitch when towing, especially with a newer trailer with a scalloped front cap. However, when backing sharp on uneven terrain the dynamics change and you will threaten your rear window.

Since you are in the research phase, take a few minutes and Google the Blue Ox Super Ride hitch, it checks a lot of boxes. It comes apart in pieces for easy removal/installation, has rubber cushioning springs and can articulate rearwards for tight backing maneuvers.

There are many options out there so that you can make a short bed truck work with a fifth wheel. The trailer you choose may already have it figured out for you such as a rotating pin box. Generally, hitch plates are 16 inches high and will easily fit under covers that set on top of the truck's bed rails.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:02 AM   #6

I use a Pullrite Superglide here......kinda spendy but trouble free!!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:17 AM   #7

Several years ago, about 7 or 8 I would see 5th wheels that advertised 88 degree turn before the tappered front cap would make contact with a short bed truck cab. I think Heartland advertised this.

I also know I saw others with the same advertisement and same style front cap.

Seems there were enough of these front cap Design 5th wheel to satisfy most floor plans.

Is this not a thing any longer? Front cap designed for short bed trucks?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #8

I bought a slider when I bought my 5th wheel because everyone said you needed one with a short bed. I got tired of the weight and the clunking, sold it and bought a Curt Q20 non slider. Never missed the sliding function and never came close to hitting the truck. It still had some clunking and was still a pain in the back to remove and install.

I now have a Reese Goose Box. Air ride hitch, flat bed floor and just a 6lb ball to remove.

I couldn't use the slider without dropping the tailgate, pinbox would hit the tailgate, which meant removing it or going with a notched tailgate. I chose the latter.
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
mt2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Smile

Might consider the Anderson Ultimate hitch with a B&W turn over goose neck ball.We use it in our Ram 2500 6.5 foot with an ORV F26RKS. Tows great, weighs 35 pounds, and I can remove it in five minutes so I have a flat bed in my truck!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

I've always towed with a shortbed and am going on over a dozen years with a B&W companion. I've rarely encountered a situation where I need to jackknife the trailer. In those situation a slight reposition always took care of the problem. I use a roll up bed cover but I'd try towing with your hard cover and see how it does. Look for an extended pin box and rounded front cap. They are just about standard on new 5ers.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #11

I took out my slider and went with a Curt Q20. In the last 15 years I only used the slider once the first year and I only used it because I thought I needed to.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
hitch for short bed

you might want to look at andersonhitches. they are unique and weigh about 40lbs.
ptw1skers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel