Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have pulled as heavy as 14,000# with my F350 DRW, 7.3L and 4.10 axle. I naver had any issues with power and it was the best rig on the high we have had up until we got the 3 axle 35' Avion TT.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #30

the 6.0 turbo diesel has a little more Hp than the 7.3 that it replaced, so that sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I have pulled as heavy as 14,000# with my F350 DRW, 7.3L and 4.10 axle. I naver had any issues with power and it was the best rig on the high we have had up until we got the 3 axle 35' Avion TT.

Ken
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 7.3L is running the SuperChip Micro Tuner on the Tow Safe setting. It will beat the equivalent 6.0L truck.

With the history of the 6.0L and what ins said on the forums....DO NO CHIP a 6.0L.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #32

aspeyrer, the 4:10 gears will help you out when towing for sure. if you use the truck for a daily driver you will pay more when not towing.
how did the test drive go? you have to report back to us on what you decide.
my friend that sold me my rv owns a GM dealership and he told me that his lot is full of new duramax trucks, but he sales the 6.0 gassers as fast as he gets them. exact opposite of past years. I guess EPA regulations and the price of diesel are turning people back to gas. Best of luck in your search! its too bad youve spoiled yourself on that King Ranch.. id tell you to find a 7.3PS or a gen2 cummings. thats why I wont drive a new one. well, that and my wife would leave me! lol
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #33

i test drove the 2007 DRW F 350 cc 4by4 long bed truck sunday, looks good, runs good, all stock 6.0 engine, one owner 80k miles price 28,688.
there is a dent in the tailgate, new tailgate cost 500 plus prime and paint, so 1k total, truck did not have a B & W turn over hitch, so that would also cost me another 600.
I am going to test drive a 2008 DRW F 350 cc 4by4 long bed with the 6.4 twin turbo diesel today at lunch, even though i think i will buy the 2007. That 6.4 twin turbo diesel has a history of poor fuel mileage, like avg 10mpg city, and 8mpg when towing, or less ! Part of the poor fuel mileage is the PDF and the regen cycle at least once per tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn boyd View Post
aspeyrer, the 4:10 gears will help you out when towing for sure. if you use the truck for a daily driver you will pay more when not towing.
how did the test drive go? you have to report back to us on what you decide.
my friend that sold me my rv owns a GM dealership and he told me that his lot is full of new duramax trucks, but he sales the 6.0 gassers as fast as he gets them. exact opposite of past years. I guess EPA regulations and the price of diesel are turning people back to gas. Best of luck in your search! its too bad youve spoiled yourself on that King Ranch.. id tell you to find a 7.3PS or a gen2 cummings. thats why I wont drive a new one. well, that and my wife would leave me! lol
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #34

bought a 2007 F 350 DRW,cc,4by4, long bed, king ranch,4:10 rear gear, 6.0 turbo diesel truck yesterday. I am happy with the truck, but not happy with the dealerships " clean up job" so i spent 3hrs cleaning the truck yesterday. I should have it finished in about another 8hrs ! Truck had a ton on fine road tar over the entire surface. Bug and tar remover and a bar of detailing clay, lots of elbow grease, will have this trucks exterior in excellent shape in a day.
I guess my definition of clean is different
Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeyrer View Post
hey guys, just got back from phoenix arizona, towed my 35ft toy hauler with my ford f 250 cc 4by4 6.0 turbo diesel srw. man the mountains in new mexico were a Bitch ! going up 8% grade, my truck would downshift twice and we would be going 45mph at the top of the mountain. and the best is, i was getting 5mpg while towing in the mountains! go 10 to 12mpg on flat ground in arizona. Would a 1 ton f 350 with 4:10 rear gear with the smae 6.0 turbo diesel two this fifth wheel trailer any better?
would i feel less " Motion Sick" towing with a dually? After towing for 12hrs, when we got to our arizona destination, i flet like i was still moving.
thanks alan
We towed opur 38 foot fifth with a F350 dually . Made a world of difference. You will not get that motion sick feeling.
Is your toy haul a fifth or trailer. If trailer I would also add weight distrubution and sway bar.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #36

toy hauler is a 35ft Fifth wheel. Our first trip is planned for next month. My last truck was a 2006 f 250 SRW with 6.0 turbo diesel, now i have the 2007 F 350 DRW, the transmissions are the same 5R110 torq shift trans.
on the F 250 ( when towing ), that trans would sound like a Turbine engine anytime we were pulling up a steep grade, is that normal ?
anybody upgrade there torq converter in these trucks?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #37

Aspeyrer, glad you found a truck you like and I hope it does the job you want it to do. I am very pleased with my 06 6.0 DRW with 4:10 pulling our 35 ft Hitchhiker that's loaded with all kinds of stuff. I pull in Tow-Haul and don't use the cruise-control, unless the road is flat.
Don't know anything about a upgrade for the torq converter in these trucks. I know they like clean fuel and a oil and filter change ever 5000 miles. Change the fuel filters ever 10 to 15000 miles. Good Luck.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote