Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
5ver trailer brakes issue

Departed home to go South from Cleveland to Mobile, trailer brakes seem to work OK at departure. BTW, this is a new to me trailer. On first fuel stop, at low speed...5 -10 mph, they really seem to grab? Never did that B4. But, they still worked good at speed to slow down. My last fuel stop 800 or so miles from home...they stopped working! My brake controller display was scanning all the segments very quickly...it normally reads 5.0 on the display. However, it will work with a setting of 0.5. So, I'm thinking brake controller went bad...new Primus IQ installed, getting an error code 5.H which states brake wire sees short, then manually actuating...get "overload" during operation...started to do some trouble shoot today. found a good trouble-shooting link... https://www.etrailer.com/faq-testing...-function.aspx I can do all of this just need to get some more stuff. Got a couple of questions...#1. does the brake magnet wear against the brake drum? #2. then can it short to the drum? #3. If #2 can happen, measure brake leads to trailer chassis? #4. If I determine that I have magnet issues...how or what is the best way to find a shop to do this repair? in the mobile, al area? or any other suggestions IRV2 folks my have...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #2

To answer your questions about the brakes, yes, the magnets rub on the drums, yes it is possible to have magnet short out on a drum, and the best way (in my opinion) to check the magnets is to pull each wheel. It is quite possible that you have a wire shorted where the wires enter and exit each axle. You will probably need to check all the wiring.
I don't have any idea as to where to get it looked at.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #3

If the brake wires run inside the axle tube, a short can develop in there out of sight.
If you never pulled the drums to inspect the brakes, that needs to be done now.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
4. If I determine that I have magnet issues...how or what is the best way to find a shop to do this repair? in the mobile, al area?
I don't mess with automotive or RV electric, so if it's me I'm going to stop at a big convenience store or truck stop and borrow their yellow pages. Look up "Recreational Vehicle & Campers Repair and Service". Pick the one with the biggest ad, then look at the other classifications that begin with RV and see if that one is also listed under dealers and under parts and suppliers. Go to that dealer's shop and ask how long it will probably take them to diagnose and fix your trailer brakes. This time of year it shouldn't be more than a couple of days.

But if they say they can fix it while you wait, I'd be suspicious of that shop. Good RV shops that have been in business a few years are probably going to be busy even in January.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for the responses guys.

Well got it isolated to the rear axle...really low resistance, like .07 ohms. With just the front axle...brake controller seems to work. Front axle is measuring about 2.5 ohms...still lower that what info I'm finding online which is 7.5 to 8.2. But, I don't know about my calibration of my meter. So, should have at least front brakes!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

I have had the same problem. You can disconnect the wires going into the axle at their connections behind the backing plates on that axle. Run new wires outside the axle and wire tie them to the back side of the axle.
jmaotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
drove to brake shop in Ocala, FL...Walts brakes and more...they checked it out, thought is was a bad connection, fix what they thought was bad, brake controller seemed to like it...IE it worked. Going to go for a test drive...first time applied the brakes the issue was back. Pulled the wheel and drum off...magnetic puck fell off the bracket. The coil was shorted housing. so, new magnetic coil, repacked bearing, adjusted the brake and were good. Six sea notes and 24 hrs. later we are on the road. They did let us stay in front of the shop overnight with power and they offer us water. good folk at Walt's Brakes and More.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

Six days ago, I said pull the drum, and now you know why. These things are built on the cheap and need to be inspected regularly.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes