Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

6.4 Hemi ?

Anybody run the new 6.4 Hemi ? Just wondered as I'm getting close to buying a new(er) truck... I know the Cummins is better in some ways,,, but I'm just not sold on the extra cost yet as we won't be full timing, or such... Looking at a TT 26-30' length... 2500-3500 single rear wheel 4x4 Ram... I read about weight and all here,,, what about this 6.4 motor? I've read about it,, made for trucks,, just wanted some real world experience...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

I have a 14 ram mega cab 2500 4x4 with 6.4 hemi. It is does a great job pulling and driving empty. I had a 12 with the 5.7 hemi and the 6.4 actually gets a little better mpg. I've pulled some pretty good loads with it and it does wonderful. I have a motorhome so I do not pull an rv but I'm a general contractor. I pull a gooseneck dump trailer that weighs 14k and gooseneck flatbed with backhoe about same weight.

I've had diesel trucks since the 90's and recently got tired of the additional cost of diesel over gas. So I decide to go gas and have been happy. I had an 08 crew cab chevy with 6.0 gas about 5 months and hated it. Went back to diesel a couple years and finally went ram gas truck and been pleased.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #3

Thankyou Chad... Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for....
Old 03-31-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

I had a '14 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73 gear. I pulled a travel trailer that weighed just under 10k pounds. It pulled very well at sea level. I would still have it except we sold the travel trailer and bought a 5th wheel that now weights 17.5k pounds. I would not pull that much with the 6.4, but 10k pounds was great.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #5

Thankyou Don...I guess what I would miss with a gas motor, (besides the obvious pulling power of a diesel) is the engine brake... We just don't see towing a lot right now,,, BUT it might be my last vehicle,, so it's either the 6.4 or Cummins... We are going to look today for the first time.... Might as well spend my vacation spending money we don't have huh ??? LOL I did clean up the jeep, maybe they'll make me a deal I can't refuse.... Or not....
Old 03-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

If the truck is going to be a DD as well as tow rig, look at your daily commute. If you only drive 5 miles a day then the hemi may be the way to go seeing as short trips can be harmful to the diesels. There are different opinions on this statement however, but that's just what I've come across in my research as well.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
If the truck is going to be a DD as well as tow rig, look at your daily commute. If you only drive 5 miles a day then the hemi may be the way to go seeing as short trips can be harmful to the diesels. There are different opinions on this statement however, but that's just what I've come across in my research as well.
This is something to consider too. I have a commute that is mostly highway and is about 70 miles a day. If you have a short commute you may not get the exhaust system hot enough, long enough to keep the diesel exhaust happy. The 6.4 does not have that issue.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
This is something to consider too. I have a commute that is mostly highway and is about 70 miles a day. If you have a short commute you may not get the exhaust system hot enough, long enough to keep the diesel exhaust happy. The 6.4 does not have that issue.
Yes I have thought about that... It takes me 15 minutes to get to work,,, about 8 miles one way....All in town,,, max speed of 50 mph for a very short distance. Mostly stop and go... Not good on a diesel I figure....
Old 04-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #9

Why is there such a small difference in "Advertised" HP and TQ between the 5.7 and 6.4 ??? 5.7 is 383Hp /400ft Tq... 6.4 is 410HP/429ft Tq... This is in the "heavy duty" truck side, as in 2500... I would think the extra cubes (and newer made for truck 6.4) would be better... ????
Old 04-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Why is there such a small difference in "Advertised" HP and TQ between the 5.7 and 6.4 ??? 5.7 is 383Hp /400ft Tq... 6.4 is 410HP/429ft Tq... This is in the "heavy duty" truck side, as in 2500... I would think the extra cubes (and newer made for truck 6.4) would be better... ????
The power of the 6.4 is at a lower rpm. I drove the 5.7 & 6.4 back to back in identical trucks and it was a noticeable difference. This made the 6.4 option worth it for me.
autorot8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorot8 View Post
The power of the 6.4 is at a lower rpm. I drove the 5.7 & 6.4 back to back in identical trucks and it was a noticeable difference. This made the 6.4 option worth it for me.
thankyou very much... We actually got a non-pushy salesman guy at a dealership here that answered a lot of my questions... He knew a lot at what he was selling. Thats one thing he said was the 6.4 had a very flat torque curve.... (thats good!) I'll be back to talk to him more....
Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #12

I drove one before buying my Denali Duramax. In the Ram line, I probably preferred it to the Cummins, which had so much turbo lag I was surprised it is sold like that. I own an architectural stone company and my trailers can get as heavy as I want to load them, so I needed the diesel. No regrets at all, in fact I don't think I would ever want a gas truck again. I love firing that sucker up every time.

You should be able to get a massive discount on the Ram. The one I drove stickered around 58 and with all the rebates and offers I could have had it for <47 (this was last summer before I ordered my truck). It was very tempting.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
See what I have and see what I tow. It's my DD and my commute is 5 miles each way. No issues. I can get 21 on the highway unloaded and average 16 in town. When I tow, there are no grades, just places other people go slow. The exhaust brake is great. Yes, there is some turbo lag from a stop. But when you get rolling it just takes off at any altitude. The diesel costs more and costs more to maintain and unless you are towing a little heavy or you just want one, just get the 6.4. But the Cummins is really the way to go. Towing down the highway at 60-65 mph = about 1500rpm. and 12-13 mpg. This will be my last "big truck".
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
See what I have and see what I tow. It's my DD and my commute is 5 miles each way. No issues. I can get 21 on the highway unloaded and average 16 in town. When I tow, there are no grades, just places other people go slow. The exhaust brake is great. Yes, there is some turbo lag from a stop. But when you get rolling it just takes off at any altitude. The diesel costs more and costs more to maintain and unless you are towing a little heavy or you just want one, just get the 6.4. But the Cummins is really the way to go. Towing down the highway at 60-65 mph = about 1500rpm. and 12-13 mpg. This will be my last "big truck".
Thankyou "highway" ... I'm not looking for a "drag race" truck,,, so 'turbo lag' is nothing to me... (been a street racer for years,,, but no more) Just looking for my possibly last vehicle,,, we don't trade every year or two like some... Its nice to know the newer Cummins has no problems on short drives.... I drive a 1 yr old 400 Cummins at work,, and when it "regens" it idles 200 rpm high..,. (when stopped)... No biggy.. Just wondered how the smaller Cummins would handle short trips,,, and if it was worth it to me to spend the extra several thousand dollars on the Cummins... (yes I want that motor but we aren't rich.... ) We'll see... Thanks again for your input..... Monkey