Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #1

Question 7-pin harness vs 4-pin with adapter

Good morning, I am brand new to the forum and to RVing itself. I have been camping in the last few years and in the last two of them my friends have been "using" our friends' travel trailer and this year we are planning to start to get into it ourselves - probably just renting a few models before we think we are good to make the jump into getting our own.

A big step in that direction was the purchase of a car that pulls a small travel trailer, i.e. a 2021 Kia Telluride. The harness that Kia Canada sells on their website and through their dealers is a 4-pin, and as far as my friend could explain to me, that one does not pass on the brake signal to the trailer as a 7-pin harness would.

I found a website that apparently shows a Kia OEM part that is a 7-pin but my dealer says it's an American part and they don't have experience installing it; they said they would install the 4-pin and a 4-to-7-pin adapter. I've seen people on Telluride forums talking about it, and showing a part that goes on the back of the car, but in my mind it doesn't make sense, how can the brake signal be sent if the brake signal from the car is not being plugged by the initial 4-pin harness? My friend doesn't know as well.

Sorry if this is a very basic question, I'm trying to do research on my own but I can't seem to understand how it works.
ColinZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

In any system you want to connect you have to send the right signals.

Here is the standard wiring configuration:

No standard 4 pin connect carries braking control, just lighting control.

Many small trailers may not even come with brakes, other will come with surge brakes which is built into the hitch and a few will come with electric brakes.

If you have a trailer that has electric brakes, you need a brake controller which is wired like:

So before you start wiring stuff, you really need to know what kind of brakes the trailer(s) you will be puling have.
Nwcid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If your tow vehicle already has a 4 pin installed, the 4-7 pin adapter allows the 4 pin to be plugged into the adapter, and now you just have to add the other wires you might need, likely a brake signal and a battery charge line. If you don't have the 4 pin already installed, the adapter is a waste, just buy a 7 pin and wire the lights, ground, brake and power to it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #4

Yeah, I'm asking another dealer if they have more experience with that. Don't want people mixing up wires. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

2021 Kia Telluride brochure shows a 5000# tow capacity which in the real world means 3500# GVWR trailer

If your 2021 Kia Telluride doesn't have any 'tow package' ----trans cooler, wiring for brake controller, trailer wiring harness etc

Then you will have to have power, turn signal/brake light, braking, charge line wiring---fuses installed along with 7 pin receptacle/brake controller

The owners manual should have 'towing information' and fuse locations for trailer connections **If equipped

NWCID's post #2 includes LOTS of GOOD information/wiring
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #6

In case you haven't read this already; https://www.kiatelluride.org/threads...r-towing.1298/

Dave
Old 02-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
In case you haven't read this already; https://www.kiatelluride.org/threads...r-towing.1298/

Dave
Yes, I am on that forum as well. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #8

Or look into trailers with surge brakes!
Old 02-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

Did your vehicle come with a built in trailer brake control? I'm assuming not so you will need one. You might consider going to a good trailer dealership that can not only sell and install the brake controller but will likely know far more about the correct wiring harness than a KIA dealer. In addition to your factory 4 pin you will need to add a heavy gauge battery charge wire and the appropriate wires for the brake control. It's unlikely that any of this is present on your vehicle.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
Or look into trailers with surge brakes!
Yeah I looked into those, also those wireless ones and the Bluetooth ones, they have their advantages but in the end I would rather have my car's brake pedal to work together with the trailer brake pedal. But it is a very attractive option due to the commodity of installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
Did your vehicle come with a built in trailer brake control? I'm assuming not so you will need one. You might consider going to a good trailer dealership that can not only sell and install the brake controller but will likely know far more about the correct wiring harness than a KIA dealer. In addition to your factory 4 pin you will need to add a heavy gauge battery charge wire and the appropriate wires for the brake control. It's unlikely that any of this is present on your vehicle.
Yeah right now I will check around in Kia dealerships for any that have that experience, because I would like to have someone who knows the car to deal with it. I've seen on that Telluride forum some that did it in their dealerships so I know they exist. Next best option is as you said a trailer dealership.

Tags
ada