Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

A Tesla pickup in 2020??? Maybe according to Elon.

He wants to build it....after the model Y is up and running in 2019.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/201...del-y-rollout/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Yeah,,,, It will be sold at the First Mars Dealership!!!!!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #3

He can’t make money on the cars he is building now. The prospect of making money on a car that costs $35k is even tougher. First they need to be able to produce it which they can’t right now. All the actual manufacturers are planning more electric cars which will be more attractively priced. If you can’t make money on your expensive cars then where does the profit come from. Oh I forgot there is no profit yet.
What a business model!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
He can’t make money on the cars he is building now. The prospect of making money on a car that costs $35k is even tougher. First they need to be able to produce it which they can’t right now. All the actual manufacturers are planning more electric cars which will be more attractively priced. If you can’t make money on your expensive cars then where does the profit come from. Oh I forgot there is no profit yet.
What a business model!
Meh. The financials are pretty transparent. Tesla makes margins that are Within morms for the industry and quite good for the higher end models. The bleeding comes from the R & D and investing in the supercharger network. As long as the other manufacturers are not investing in charging infrastructure their sales will hurt just as they are now. Not too many car manufacturers have two years of inventory pre sold. It remains to be seen if the cash flow from the three will be fast enough and big enough to finance the model y which has to come before the pick up.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

They have some challenges ahead from other manufacturers. And they have fallen WAY behind production forecasts on their latest model. That said, any pickup or roadster are a long way off and may end up not happening at all. Time will tell. But I think Elon has moved onto his other projects at the end of the day.

My neighbor has the sedan in red. Nice car, but nowhere near worth the cost IMO.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
They have some challenges ahead from other manufacturers. And they have fallen WAY behind production forecasts on their latest model. That said, any pickup or roadster are a long way off and may end up not happening at all. Time will tell. But I think Elon has moved onto his other projects at the end of the day.

My neighbor has the sedan in red. Nice car, but nowhere near worth the cost IMO.
I agree. He has about two years of grace before the competition gets serious. He is about six months behind on the model three but those problems seem to be mostly worked out as deliveries seem to be quite brisk now. There is presently no competition for the model three for either price point or capability and it will take the rest of the pack a couple years to catch up but they will. His ace in the hole is still the supercharger network. If you have two vehicles with the same capability and the same price many people will choose the one with the better charging infrastructure and no manufacturer (well nissan a little bit) has put any money into infrastructure. We fall in that boat. We love our leaf but when it comes time to upgrade if everything else is the same we'll go with who has the best infrastructure.. Time will tell.

When the pickup comes out it would be cool if they had a 120 and 240 volt workstation. Contracters would like that.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Now the big question...How far and what weight can it tow???...
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #8

Good question. For me 500 km (300 miles) and 7000 pounds towing would be plenty.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #9

The thing that gets me is that everybody is oohing & aahing about these electric vehicles being great for the environment, but nobody is talking about how nasty making, and recycling, batteries is for that very same environment. Not to mention the extra energy that needs to be produced to recharge them. Just another variation on the shell game.

And by the way, that Elon "truck" is fugly.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
The thing that gets me is that everybody is oohing & aahing about these electric vehicles being great for the environment, but nobody is talking about how nasty making, and recycling, batteries is for that very same environment. Not to mention the extra energy that needs to be produced to recharge them. Just another variation on the shell game.

And by the way, that Elon "truck" is fugly.

mmm, I don't know. I think every one is talking about exactly that. Lots of info out there on those topics. There is no free lunch. Its more along the lines of what is worse. Extracting oil and then burning it or mining metals that can be used for decades through recycling. And energy is getting cheaper and cleaner to produce every day. Lots of opinions out there. Interestingly enough most people don't buy electric cars because they are environmentally friendly. They buy them because they are a superiour drive.

For me an electric light truck would have to have access to the supercharge network. I think if another manufacturer decides to get into the light truck EV market they will have to either buy into the Supercharger network or develop their own.

JMHO
Old 12-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Meh. The financials are pretty transparent. Tesla makes margins that are Within morms for the industry and quite good for the higher end models. The bleeding comes from the R & D and investing in the supercharger network. As long as the other manufacturers are not investing in charging infrastructure their sales will hurt just as they are now. Not too many car manufacturers have two years of inventory pre sold. It remains to be seen if the cash flow from the three will be fast enough and big enough to finance the model y which has to come before the pick up.
There must still be some of that Koolaid that Jim Jones had. The financials are transparent! Yes they are and they show that there is money lost on every vehicle sold. The upper end models are basically hand assembled and generate no income. The new model is far behind schedule and is forecast to be a drag on any profits if they ever materialize. There are lots of order cancelations that are also hurting. Reuters reports that they lose $4k per car while the other auto companies are hauling in record profits.
I’m glad I’m not retired with my future bankrolled by a company that has no date when they will be profitable.
Like Warren Buffet said, companies like Bitcoin and others like Tesla have their prices lifted by people being FOMO. That stands for “fear of missing out”.
The company may have a vision that appeals to some but let’s see what happens. I’ll pass on the Koolaid.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
There must still be some of that Koolaid that Jim Jones had. The financials are transparent! Yes they are and they show that there is money lost on every vehicle sold. The upper end models are basically hand assembled and generate no income. The new model is far behind schedule and is forecast to be a drag on any profits if they ever materialize. There are lots of order cancelations that are also hurting. Reuters reports that they lose $4k per car while the other auto companies are hauling in record profits.
I’m glad I’m not retired with my future bankrolled by a company that has no date when they will be profitable.
Like Warren Buffet said, companies like Bitcoin and others like Tesla have their prices lifted by people being FOMO. That stands for “fear of missing out”.
The company may have a vision that appeals to some but let’s see what happens. I’ll pass on the Koolaid.
Nope. You are confusing gross margin with company gross profit. Audited financials clearly indicate profit on every car and every power wall. I agree that it remains to be seen on wether the cash flow will keep up with the outflows in R & D as well as super charger network expansion but I’m not a shareholder so I have no worries.

Many of the cancellations are from people who were waiting for the model 3 and bought an X instead.

Should be an interesting year.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post

Many of the cancellations are from people who were waiting for the model 3 and bought an X instead.

Should be an interesting year.
You must have different sources than I do. I read very few cancellations were due people opting for the X model. Either way, they have an uphill climb ahead of them.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
You must have different sources than I do. I read very few cancellations were due people opting for the X model. Either way, they have an uphill climb ahead of them.
Well, I kinda agree with that statement though, I suspect few would cancel a model 3 and then buy a model X. One is a car and the other an SUV not to mention a very expensive high end SUV. I would suspect most would just jump to the model S. The first 100,000 or so 3's will be highly optioned and expensive so switching to an S is not that big of a jump.

The quarterly statements will be out in a few days. Lots of speculation on numbers. I am now leaning towards mid 3000's for model 3 and record number S and X sales. I think they are producing about 2000 model 3's a week right now and that by end january it will be 4000 per week. Tesla is saying 20,000 per month by end 1st quarter. I think a little less. Time will tell. Wishing them well for the new years. Lots of jobs and lots of exports.

John.