Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Add-on tow mirrors

Looking for advice on a what mirrors to add onto our 2016 Ram. We will be towing a 24 foot travel trailer. I certainly don't want them flying off on the interstate, vibrating enough to cause a convulsion, or the price to cause sadness and tears. Is there a happy medium? Don't care if it's ugly, we are going for functional. Thanks!
Ellen
Uberquilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #2

There are slip over existing mirror types with a thumb knob to keep in place....Google them..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-K-...ons+for+towing

I got ones like these for my truck. They fit fine and have been secure and vibration free at freeway speeds
Old 01-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
It depends on what you are willing to pay and what works for you.

There are mirrors that can be extended or retracted (in/out) that replace the factory mirrors. These can be a little pricy.

There are mirrors tha slide over the existing mirrors ( I tried these and found that the mirror to see around the trailer were too small for me to see well).

There are strap on mirrors that can be put on to tow or taken off when you don’t need them. These can be inexpensive but look ugly.

I chose the latter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They worked great for me for the three years I had my TT.

I found searching Amazon.com and etrailer good places to do research.
It’s a matter of personal choice.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

If you have a 2016 Ram don't your mirrors flip up for towing?

https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Un....html#plpslot8
I used something like this on my 02 Ram but wasn't happy with them so I got some replacement mirrors that had the flipout feature.
https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Ra...html#plpslot25
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #6

Add-on tow mirrors

Thank you for your replies and links. We had gone to our local RV supply place, and he had some really cheap ones that strapped on with Velcro, and a book we could order better ones from. So we went to Amazon, picked what we thought would work, but then read the comments. Some people had installed them, and not realized they would lose the temperature sensor. Some had check engine light come on after. Then went to YouTube and watched a video on installation, which made us think it would be fine if we just got the exact configuration for what our mirrors already do. Ours are power adjust, power fold-in, but not heated, have a light, but no signal. They don't rotate for towing. Looked at a lot of mirrors, but they all seemed to have different options, and none exactly matched ours. I thought was either making this more complicated than necessary, or missing something simple, but obvious to others. We will make another trek into the Amazon today, thanks!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have CIPA slip on tow mirrors, and they work very well. They have scuffed up the plastic mirror housing, but I don't mind.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #8

Dodges factory tow mirrors are god awful. I dont blame you one little bit for not using them. If somehow you like them, they are bolt on, but forget about seeing anything out of them.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bought a set of slip on tow mirrors for my F150 from the RV dealer for a bit over $100 and quite like them (compared to spending over $1000 for Ford's dedicated trailer towing mirrors anyway). I'll see if I can find the brand but they are a slip on only - no velcro - with a small tab at the bottom of each that holds it against the moulded factory mirror.

They are Make- and Model-specific to fit your vehicle exactly based on the shape of the housing and supports.

No loss of temp sensor and anything unusual. I leave them on these day full time. Only thing was the ancillary mirror on the outside (as opposed to just a larger single mirror surface that a factory tow would have given me) took some getting used to. I now have three different images on the driver side with the quadrant "convex" blindspot mirror, the regular mirror and the extension. You get used to it after a bit but the first drive was... weird.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Snap & Zap by K-Source.

These are mine:
Ksource

According to the website these should fit your 2016 Ram:
Ksource

Only gripe is the it's easy to move the outside mirror putting them on and taking them off so I just leave mine on these days.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #11

Add-on towing mirrors

More research today: apparently they don't make a wire-in mirror for our model of truck, too complicated wiring is required. Watched more video on etrailer, which was helpful, and will pick a slide-on model. I'm glad we bought the trailer months before planning to take it anywhere. Between things we'd like to buy, things we need to buy, and places we want to go, we have literally days invested in watching YouTube, where other people have already done everything. Thanks for the advice, I will check out more of the links and sources that you guys mentioned.
Ellen
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #12

We're using the JR Products 2912 Grand Aero Towing Mirrors (Amazon item B0095TC6I6).

Five seasons and about 15K miles later I'd buy them again. They definitely vibrate more than any stock/permanent mirrors, but I got used to it and I get enough information from them.

I bought them because I couldn't find a 2013 Ford specific mirror on the market. I spotted some recently and I'm tempted to try once I have a good reason to replace this pair.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I believe these may be the ones that bob_caldwell was referring to:

Longview Slip-On - etrailer.com

I have a pair of these on my 2014 RAM 1500 and have been very pleased with them. Our trailer is about 22' overall length. They are very stable - no vibrations at all or fear of them falling off. Plus, I can still power-fold them closed in parking lots without issue and they don't block the puddle lamps.

Here's some shots of them installed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11587.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	231493   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11588.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	231494  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11589.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	231495  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberquilt View Post
More research today: apparently they don't make a wire-in mirror for our model of truck, too complicated wiring is required. Watched more video on etrailer, which was helpful, and will pick a slide-on model. I'm glad we bought the trailer months before planning to take it anywhere. Between things we'd like to buy, things we need to buy, and places we want to go, we have literally days invested in watching YouTube, where other people have already done everything. Thanks for the advice, I will check out more of the links and sources that you guys mentioned.
Ellen

My 16 RAM has the same mirrors your truck does, and these have worked great for us.

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-K-...ons+for+towing
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow