Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #1

Adding kingpin extender

need thoughts on adding kingpin extender to my Jayco Super Lite fifth wheel. 31 ft. 9000 lbs. Would like to pull with 1/2 ton, 5 1/2 foot bed . Bought camper for kids and grandkid, do not make long pulls and only go out 4 ord 5 times a year.
wcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Adding length to the kingpin is often frowned upon by RV and hitch manufactures, might be worthwhile to check with them. A few minutes looking over your truck manual regarding towing weight capacities may be time well spent also.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
IC2

Most manufacturers do not warranty the frames of their 5ers with the adapters simply because of the added lever arm and the strain that it puts on that frame. The mfr of mine stated that it could cause possible frame failure

As far as pulling the 9000# 5er with an F150/1500 class truck, specially with the really short bed probably will be extremely difficult if not impossible. Firstly - the weight and secondly that short bed plus the fact that any Jayco that I have seen does not have a 'nose' that's recessed to the point where you can even make a reasonably tight turn. I have a 6.5 foot bed, F350 pulling a 10-11,000# Titanium with a very aero nose and recessed for shortbeds and with the hitch set 2-4" behind the axle centerline can j-u-u-s-t make 90* as long as there isn't a significant dip associated with the turn. Then of course, there's that lack of horsepower/torque, truck tires that are not rated for the 2-3000# of bed weight, a differntial ratio that might be way too low numerically, suspension that wont handle that weight, brakes that are too small, a cooling system that wont handle the extra load, a transmission that is too light duty.

I apologize for being a naysayer, but you will need at least a 3/4 ton pick up to safely haul that camper - and a 1 ton is better -even for a few times a year.

(I can already hear the folks disagreeing with me getting ready to down play this)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #4

ParTheCourse,

"Adding length to the kingpin is often frowned upon by RV and hitch manufactures, might be worthwhile to check with them"

It has been my experience that any mfg is ok with an extended pin box, it is the gooseneck adapters they don't want. Is that what you are referring to?

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
ParTheCourse,

"Adding length to the kingpin is often frowned upon by RV and hitch manufactures, might be worthwhile to check with them"

It has been my experience that any mfg is ok with an extended pin box, it is the gooseneck adapters they don't want.
With all respect, that's not the case. To cite one example, Jayco did not approve an extended pin box on the Designer 3610RLTS 5th wheel.

A longer lever arm is a longer lever arm - both amplify moments (torques) applied to the pin box/frame area for a given force. The difference is that a kingpin extension amplifies the torques generated by the pin weight of the 5th wheel and the vertical "shocks" from expansion joints, potholes, etc. while a gooseneck adapter amplifies torques generated by acceleration and deceleration forces.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #6

Best that I had not said ANY--I based my statement on visits to many rv lots which have fivers with extended pin boxes, obviously installed at the factory. My BIL has a 36 Jayco Designer that came with the extended box???
Rusty, what about DRV and our trailers--don't they install extended boxes at the factory? Or am I just confused as to what the term means?
Joe
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A 5er designed with an extended pin is one thing...adding a longer extension is not wise. It will put additional stresses on the welds in the pin box/frame attachment area. It would be better to get a slider hitch and use it.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #8

Guess I am hung up on what the OP meant then...seems like Mor-Ryde and several others make extenders and there are so many out there being used, I would think there would be problems with all the frames they are used on--after the factory build.
Confused, I am.
Joe
Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are lots of products out there that are not good ideas or work...look at Slick 50. As a mechanical engineer, I tend to look at things from that view point and I see lots of ideas that are not a good idea from and engineering perspective. They may work OK, but I would expect to see a larger than normal numbers of failures.

I would not want to experiment on my RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Best that I had not said ANY--I based my statement on visits to many rv lots which have fivers with extended pin boxes, obviously installed at the factory. My BIL has a 36 Jayco Designer that came with the extended box???
Rusty, what about DRV and our trailers--don't they install extended boxes at the factory? Or am I just confused as to what the term means?
Joe
Several of us (myself included) have firsthand experience with the Jayco Designer 3610RLTS 5th wheel. It was delivered with a vertical pin box, and Jayco would not approve the use of any extended pin boxes with this 5th wheel.

If a 5th wheel was designed to utilize an extended pin box, that's one thing - that's the situation with the standard equipment extended pin boxes on the Doubletree Mobile Suites and other 5th wheels that provide them as standard equipment. To add a pin box extension to a 5th wheel that did not originally utilize one, or to use a longer extension than originally supplied is a totally different matter - those applications need to be run by the trailer manufacturer for a design check to ensure that the pin box/frame area will not be overloaded.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Guess I am hung up on what the OP meant then...seems like Mor-Ryde and several others make extenders and there are so many out there being used, I would think there would be problems with all the frames they are used on--after the factory build.
Confused, I am.
Joe
Most manufacturers have several specific extension lengths that they approve for use with their frame. But there are also even longer extensions that they DO NOT approve. Replacing a stock extension with an air, rubber or other isolation extension that is the same length should not be a problem. But, when in doubt, call the manufacturer.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #12

Well, I am beginning to understand this. Anyone want to start a list of Mfgs that DON'T want you to add an extender? I am not an engineer, but I do realize the stress increases with the distance from the attachment point. Made an assumption that since so many were in use on so many brands of trailers, there would be some trend established in failure/problem if adding an extender was a problem. I vaguely remember some threads in different forums about the frame cracking in some older units, but not one about a newer--say, post 2000?
Learn something every day.
Joe
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #13

It begins with frame design, which is done by the RV manufacturer for their specs. Few actually build their own frames. Lippert Components, Inc. - Informational Publication and other suppliers of trailer frames build to those specs, and will not warranty any deviation or a additions to that design. Anyone may request a custom frame design change to accommodate extended pin boxes, gooseneck hitches/adapters. Then the frame is designed and built to withstand the additional stress' and torsion of these different adapters.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #14

I have a 2004 Komfort 23' FS fiver which came from the factory with a 10" extended pin box. In five years of use I have never hit the truck or the rails. I use a Reese 16K Hitch. (non-slider)
Good Luck & Drive Safe!
Quick Trip is offline   Reply With Quote