Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #15

Stickers are just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The GVWR and rear GAWR shown on the driver's door sticker are limits certified by the manufacturer for that particular truck. Although one can change springs, tires, add airbags, etc., the manufacturer's GVWR and rear GAWR do not change from the values shown on the door sticker.

Rusty
True you can't change the sticker on the door pillar, BUT you can make enought changes to raise your load capacity by a bunch. I have spent several 100's of dollars(actually 1000s) to increase my load carrying and have the work orders to prove it. Am currently waiting for Ford authorized representative to inspect truck and certify my new GVW and axle ratings, and provide new sticker to be added to my door pillar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iawoody2 View Post
Am currently waiting for Ford authorized representative to inspect truck and certify my new GVW and axle ratings, and provide new sticker to be added to my door pillar.
Let us know how that works out.

Seeing that you have a 2013 truck, wouldn't it have been simpler to buy a SRW F350 that already has the ratings you need to begin with?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #17

Not really, I like to tinker with things. After all it's only money, right. We went to the parts breakdowns and changed everything that had to be changed to make a F350 rear suspension of a 11400GVW.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #18

Just a note for those who like technical stuff like me. Go to this website for the specs and data on 2013 Fords, you will there is actually minor difference between the 250srw vs. the 350srw. There is 26 pages of data.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non_html/2013/2013 fseriessd_pickups_sb.pdf
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I just went thru that exercise - traded a '12 f250 with gvw of 10k in on a '13 f350 with 11.5k gvw...

there are more differences than I care to list....

and those are approved placards for gvw, etc...
really be surprised if Ford's lawyers allow a change to that - talk about a liability suit waiting to happen ! whoops ...

good luck on that - I just changed trucks and like the platinum betta !

and like on TV - "kids don't try that at home"
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually there may be times when a new weight sticker will be issued. Newmar had Spartan replace the front axle on our motorhome. They then issued us a new sticker based on the alteration. This was done in April of 2004. One interesting thing was that Spartan personnel inspected the whole rig and stated that the rear axle and chassis was rated for 20,000#'s even though Newmar derated it to 19,000#'s and there was no reason for the derating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newweightsticker.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	39327  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #21

Thanks Mr.D
I don't think the difference is nearly as much as you indicated. We did a complete part number by part number comparision. Not really that much different.
As far as the lawyers go they will be advised by the real experts the engineers. In my carreer as a engineer for John Deere, the worlds largest tractor company, I dealt with the law dept. many times on all sorts of issues.
I find it somewhat amusing that the main naysayers are Texans, of course everything is bigger in Texas, even the xxxx guess I won't print it.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr66 View Post
Just wanted to follow, I ended buying the Cougar 320QBS instead of the 330 RBK but th esticker numbers are very close. See below.

Shipping Weight 9630
Carrying Capacity 2570
Hitch 1960
Length 36'11"
Height 12'5"
Fresh Water 60

Here is trailer and truck with me in it

Font 4440 lbs
Rear 5565lbs
trailer 8120 lbs

But the actuals when trailer had 2 adults, 3 kids, full tank of diesel, fresh water tank full 60 gallons, trailer stocked with gear, food tools, bbq so on are

Font 4640 lbs
Rear 5670 lbs
trailer 8730 lbs
I believe that this is the first time in history that a trailer came in loaded at almost a thousand pounds below the manufacturer's "shipping weight".

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

I believe that this is the first time in history that a trailer came in loaded at almost a thousand pounds below the manufacturer's "shipping weight".

Francesca, were you taking a nap when you wrote that?

Did you factor in hitch weight?

Shipping weight is the gross trailer weight, including hitch weight.

But the scale reports where he says "trailer", he means trailer axle weight - not gross trailer weight.

9630 shipping weight
1960 hitch weight (dry)
-----
7670 trailer axle weight - dry
=======

8730 trailer axle weight - wet and loaded per scale
minus 7670 trailer axle weight - dry per specs
-----------
1060 weight of stuff in the trailer
=====

Makes sense to me.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Francesca, were you taking a nap when you wrote that?
Yes...but I'm awake now!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing