Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #1

Advice on WD hitch for Winnebago Minnie Drop

I have a new 2018 Minnie Drop 1780 that I am towing with an Xterra Pro4x. The dealer set it up with an anti-sway but based on my Xterra front end rising when coupled it appears I need a weight distribution hitch. Can anyone give me any advice or suggestions for hitch to get?

Specs: loaded weight is 3500 pounds (max is 3800 pounds) with 400 pounds on the hitch.

Thanks!
WolfgangS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's well within the Xterra Pro4x payload specs listed on the web.

How much rise are we talking here? Use a tape measure from the ground to compare.

Next, verify that it 400lbs is a real number. Either go to a CAT scale or use the bathroom scale technique to find the true tongue weight on your trailer.

Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale

And then the next question... have you driven it yet with the trailer on it? How did it feel? Did the front end of the car feel light?

When you loaded the trailer onto the car, was the trailer completely empty, or loaded? If loaded, roughly with what? Like, 2 shirts or the kitchen sink and a full tank of water?

Have you checked the payload sticker on the car? Yellow tag in the door that says "cargo plus occupants should never exceed XXXlbs"

Maybe a Blue Ox WD hitch... those are really simple to manage and to connect and disconnect.. once you have them set up properly, and affordable too.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #3

The 400 pounds I mentioned above was measured as actual weight using a scale. The weight I mentioned is fully loaded with a full fresh water tank. I have driven it for just short distances at higher speeds (55 to 65 mph) and in gusty winds I am feeling more sway than I'd like in spite of the anti sway. I am not sure it's a problem since the winds were gusting from 20 to 30 but I'd like to see if I can improve things. I did some research on the WD hitches and read that if there was any lift on the front of the TV when the loaded trailer is attached that they would be helpful. The lift on the front is 1.5 inches. Is that not enough to worry about?
Old 04-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #4

Sway ? Or just pushed around from the wind ? There is a differance.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangS View Post
The 400 pounds I mentioned above was measured as actual weight using a scale. The weight I mentioned is fully loaded with a full fresh water tank. I have driven it for just short distances at higher speeds (55 to 65 mph) and in gusty winds I am feeling more sway than I'd like in spite of the anti sway. I am not sure it's a problem since the winds were gusting from 20 to 30 but I'd like to see if I can improve things. I did some research on the WD hitches and read that if there was any lift on the front of the TV when the loaded trailer is attached that they would be helpful. The lift on the front is 1.5 inches. Is that not enough to worry about?
Glad you actually measured the weight. That should be under your payload, but the car is light duty for sure.

Yeah, 20+ winds is where a lot of people shut it down until it slows down a bit. So a little sway there I would expect.

1.5 inches doesn't sound like much, but again, were talking about a smaller car, so it might be more significant in your case.

You could certainly try a wd hitch ... Depending on the hitch, they are heavy to heavier.. I don't know what the arms on your trailer look like, but I would call blue ox in the morning and Inquire about their sway pro wd hitch. The question is will the couplers fit your trailers arms. You can Google some videos on it. It works, it's easy to deal with, you can back up with it on, and it's solid and easily adjustable. How much weight it will transfer to your front tires, I can't say without actually trying it.
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

For your setup I would look at the Recurve R3 with the standard 600lb bars. They run about 250.00 and are very easy with the drop in bars. They have a streamlined appearance as they run along the top of the trailers frame. The sway control is adjustable with a simple tightening on the collar with an Allen wrench. I know of several people running this with their smaller Lance/ SUV combo and are very happy with it.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Sway ? Or just pushed around from the wind ? There is a differance.
Hard to tell for sure. It felt like sway but this trailer is new to me and I haven't towed for decades.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
For your setup I would look at the Recurve R3 with the standard 600lb bars. They run about 250.00 and are very easy with the drop in bars. They have a streamlined appearance as they run along the top of the trailers frame. The sway control is adjustable with a simple tightening on the collar with an Allen wrench. I know of several people running this with their smaller Lance/ SUV combo and are very happy with it.
Thanks!

What are your thoughts on the Recurve versus the Equalizer (more pricey).

I have gotten some recommendations of the Equalizer for 600 pounds and it appears to be really effective in the anti-sway department.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37060ET.html
Old 04-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You will always benefit from a WD hitch and getting one with BUILT IN sway control is far preferable to ones without. No silly friction bars to take off before turning sharp or backing up and they work better at controlling sway. Cost about $500 and easy to set up. Even more important with a marginal tow vehicle.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks!

What are your thoughts on the Recurve versus the Equalizer (more pricey).

I have gotten some recommendations of the Equalizer for 600 pounds and it appears to be really effective in the anti-sway department.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37060ET.html

Yes, the Equalizer would also be a good choice. WDH’s are like Ford or Chevy?
The one thing on the Recurve R3 is that it’s sway control is easily adjustable. On a windy day you can really crank down on it, but once you need to make sharp turns to get into your site you can loosen it up quicker than it takes to step out of your truck.
The R3 has not been out very long, so you won’t find much on reviews.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Yes, the Equalizer would also be a good choice. WDH’s are like Ford or Chevy?
The one thing on the Recurve R3 is that it’s sway control is easily adjustable. On a windy day you can really crank down on it, but once you need to make sharp turns to get into your site you can loosen it up quicker than it takes to step out of your truck.
The R3 has not been out very long, so you won’t find much on reviews.
Thanks, I hadn't checked out the Recure R3 prior to this. I'll take a close look at it. It looks pretty good so far.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #12

I really like the Blue Ox.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
I really like the Blue Ox.
What do you like about it? Have you compared the Blue Ox with the Equal-i-zer, E2, or Recurve?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Can anyone give me any advice or suggestions for hitch to get?

Specs: loaded weight is 3500 pounds (max is 3800 pounds) with 400 pounds on the hitch.
400 pounds on the ball is a tad light. I'd move some weight to try for at least 450 pounds on the ball when the trailer grosses 3,500 pounds.

The Recurve is a cheap hitch. I wouldn't tow with a cheap hitch. Go with a Blue Ox SwayPro or Equal-I-Zer or Reese Strait-Line.

Equal-I-Zer is available with 400 and 600 TW. Because your TW could be more than 400 pounds, I'd go for the one with 600 pounds TW.

Blue Ox SwayPro is available with 550 pounds TW. That's the one you need for that trailer.

Reese Strait-Line is available with 600 pounds TW.

So choose one of those three, not a cheaper hitch. Reese makes several cheaper hitches, but insist on a Strait-Line if you want a Reese. Blue Ox and Equal-I-Zer don't make cheap hitches, so any Blue Ox SwayPro or Equal-I-Zer will be good.

Regardless of hitch brand, tighten the spring bars just tight enough that the distance of the front wheel well to the ground is the same or not more than a half-inch higher with the spring bars tight as with the tow vehicle without a trailer attached.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, winnebago