Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

After market mirror extensions

Hi there -

I just completed a 2 day test run towing our new 22' RPOD with our existing Sprinter 3500.

The trailer is too short for me to see very much of the tail as soon as I start to 'cut' when backing up. I find it really difficult to control the angle at the hitch and the direction the trailer is pointed without getting visual cues.

So, does anyone recommend side mirror extensions and have a favorite make? I think I'd want to try relatively inexpensive strap-on mirrors to asses what works and how much it helps, not sure I'd ever look for something to replace the factory mirrors if strap-ons do the job. I don't think I'd mind the extra step if installing them every time I park the trailer as long as they work.

On the trip, I inadvertently went about 1/4 mile down a dead end road (completely straight) and I had to back all way out of it. It was really hard, I couldn't keep everything in-line. It took me about 30 minutes to back out. I think if I could have seen both corners (or maybe just either corner) of the trailer tail it would have made things much easier.
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #2

I personally am not that fond of the strap-on type mirrors.

I've used home-made clamps in the past to attach convex mirrors to the right mirror of a motorhome or bus. Therefore, I'd maybe suggest a clamp-on design. I'm sure some will disagree but that's the way I'd lean.

This one at Amazon has better ratings than the strap-on type and is offered at a reasonable price --it also seems more adjustable:

Milenco MIL-4381 Falcon Towing Mirrors - Pair

One bad review claimed that the mirror fell off. If you're checking the tightness on a routine basis whenever stopping for a break, gas, rest stop, etc., I don't believe you'll have a problem but what I'd probably do is to use a tether of some sort where in the rare case it does fall off, you won't lose it on the highway somewhere ...you can use a length of twine if nothing else.

Have you considered a back-up camera? --as I wonder if a mirror extension will show you what you're expecting to see ...but maybe it will.

(here's an image of a semi tractor using them from the Amazon review section and one being used on an SUV

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:22 AM   #3

I like my mirror extensions that clip onto my existing mirrors.
https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...A/CM11300.html
Still looks good and gave me the extra field of view I needed.
Hobob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobob51 View Post
I had some very similar to these on my Ram 1500 and they worked really well and looked fine also.

I once had a very short boat trailer that I couldn't see and I used snow plow blade marker poles on the back of the trailer. Those solved the problem.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #5

I also have a 22’ Rpod and often travel solo. Three suggestions -

I can recommend these mirrors:
Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirror https://a.co/d/3HEy57g

I find they fit securely and don’t vibrate while driving. I bought a less expensive mirror made by Campo, and they fell off even though I carefully followed the instructions.

I do have the Furrion backup camera which my TT was wired for. Plug and play.
Furrion Vision S 7 Inch Wireless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ268GT...p_mob_ap_share

I also bought these lightweight collapsible orange cones: Sunnyglade 4 Pack 15.5 inch Collapsible Traffic Cones Multi Purpose Pop up Reflective Safety Cone https://a.co/d/hslRYMY

When traveling solo - I place one exactly where I want the end up, and can easily follow the path to the cone through my backup camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA372A77-0850-43CB-B063-A3AE4AA80332.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	608.4 KB
ID:	380395  
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #6

Let's keep in mind, though, that he says that his tow vehicle is a 3500 Sprinter Van (2018) and if he has factory OE mirrors, they should look something like the ones pictured below as MarkSaxton's Sprinter might look something like this ...go HERE

That's why I suggested the clamp-on-type as the clamps can slide in order to fit the width of most any mirror. So it can either be mounted at the top or the bottom of the mirror housing and clamps to the housing with very little clearance needed between the mirror glass (see the image in the Amazon review attached below).

Those CIPA towing mirrors in the etrailer link that Hobbs51 posted seem great!! ...but I don't see an application for a Sprinter. Going to the CIPA website, it appears they mostly offer applications for pickups.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attach for post on mirror suggestion for sprinter.png
Views:	22
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	380428  
Old 11-07-2022, 07:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobob51 View Post

These x100. Yes, it’s a 1996 and those have been on since I bought it in 1995. Put a short piece of 3M trim tape to augment the clamp. Also put small wide angle fisheye mirrors under to see the rear tires when parking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1808.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	380431  
Old 11-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #8

I don't see them for a Sprinter, though.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #9

Good mirrors are very nice to have while towing, however, backing a trailer up 1/4 mile in a couple minutes is something that you likely could learn to do, with practice, even with poor mirrors. I’d recommend you find an old trucker to help you practice backing up once you get your mirror extensions.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSaxton View Post
Hi there -
I just completed a 2 day test run towing our new 22' RPOD with our existing Sprinter 3500.

The trailer is too short for me to see very much of the tail as soon as I start to 'cut' when backing up. I find it really difficult to control the angle at the hitch and the direction the trailer is pointed without getting visual cues.

So, does anyone recommend side mirror extensions and have a favorite make? I think I'd want to try relatively inexpensive strap-on mirrors to asses what works and how much it helps, not sure I'd ever look for something to replace the factory mirrors if strap-ons do the job. I don't think I'd mind the extra step if installing them every time I park the trailer as long as they work.

On the trip, I inadvertently went about 1/4 mile down a dead end road (completely straight) and I had to back all way out of it. It was really hard, I couldn't keep everything in-line. It took me about 30 minutes to back out. I think if I could have seen both corners (or maybe just either corner) of the trailer tail it would have made things much easier.
I have tried a couple of strap on mirrors and a backup camera. One strap on was too flexible. It bent in the wind and so was useless while driving. It still worked while backing, but needed frequent adjustment.

Backing up using the firmly mounted strap on required some practice, but I can now do it.

My trailer is wider than yours. I back into a site going at a slight curve so I can see the side of the trailer. That is the best clue.

I also installed a backup camera. I never was able to use it to accurately backup into a space or to back down a straight road. The distorted view shows everything, but defeats my perspective on which way to turn. It does tell me when to stop backing.

Here is a wide variety of mirrors:
https://www.etrailer.com/search/Strap+On+Mirror

Here is one that is similar to mine and will probably work well:
https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...CM11952-2.html
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
<snip>

Here is one that is similar to mine and will probably work well:
https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...CM11952-2.html
But again, I'm wondering if they'll fit a Spinter. A Sprinter will have mirror housings that are taller than the typical pickup.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIPA universal.png
Views:	21
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	380562  
Old 11-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #12

Thanks very much for all of these responses - extremely helpful.

I will get a collapsible cone, that will make my backup camera much more usable.

I ordered these clip-on mirrors, which I returned because they would not fit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XEDDLUG...roduct_details

A real shame, because the extension was great. The flare of the factory mirror housing edge is extreme, it gets thicker very quickly as the surface moves to the interior, and there is very little gap to the mirror glass at the edge, so there was not enough room to get the plunger to sit flat enough to grip the edge of the housing, it squirted off due to being angled by the flaring edge surface of the factory mirror housing. Hope that description is comprehensible.

Anyway, I just received these strap-on mirrors, which fit fine, at least in my driveway, I will see how they do when I'm driving. Less extension, but we'll see how they do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2P1W358...roduct_details

@theroc is correct that the slip-over mirrors won't fit my Sprinter housing.
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #13

I had the snap on mirrors that were custom made for my Ram 1500. They worked, but they were a pain to get adjusted right - especially the passenger side if you didn't have someone sitting there that could align it for you while in your driving position.

I switched to a Silverado and also added the GM "invisible trailer" camera. That was the best improvement for backing as it is mounted low (about four feet from the ground) and has a wide angle lens. I can see the tops of the tail lights and the ramp latches on the sides (toyhauler). That gives me a point of reference in both X and Y dimensions to know exactly where the edges of the trailer are. You should be able to do something similar with any aftermarket camera, assuming you have a mounting point on your back wall.

I had a Haloview system with the high (10') mounted backup camera and side cameras in the front marker lights. If I pointed the backup camera down to be able to see the tail lights I would only show a few feet behind me - useless for checking traffic in drive. Pointed to see traffic I didn't have a reference on the trailer so not that useful for backing. The side cameras were also too far from the back to get decent depth perception on the small monitor to know how much distance I had before contact. Mounting them on the back marker lights would have worked better.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #14

Extended mirrors..

I must say I love Fit Systems #81850!
We’ve have the clip on also(only once), and watched them fly off on Hwy. 84 in Oregon(i.e. only once).
I have total faith in Fit.
Lola1946 is offline   Reply With Quote