Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #1

Aftermarket Aluminum Radiator Experience

Our '04 1500 silverado has 135K miles and runs great. But we are planning a tow down to florida and I am doing a lot of PM and upgrades to prepare. The radiator is fine, no leaks or overheating and I was planning on doing a cleaning and replacing the coolant. But the thought of an upgrade has me wondering. Prices I have seen on line range from 200 to 600. Is there a brand that you used and can recommend?
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
First of all "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is how I roll but if you are going to change it just get one that has the appropriate transmission cooler and aluminum tanks instead of plastic. Also be sure it is designed for towing and not racing.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #3

I also say don't fix it if it ain't broke. But if you're going to replace it, I suggest Mishimoto's radiators. I had an F350 that developed a leak around the plastic ends of the radiator (a common failure point) and replaced it with an all aluminum one Mishimoto. It worked wonderfully for me and was way cheaper than a factory replacement. I have no idea if they make one for your vehicle or not though.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

Im sure youll have quite a few more options than i did. My oe ford rad with the plastic tanks failed at a crimp. Replaced it with a mishimoto. The truck ran really hot. I did some research and the mishimoto caused alot of problems in othe 6.0s with their first design. I swapped it with a performance rad (thats the brand) all aluminum and its back to normal. Mishimoto did offer to replace the old design with the new design for the cost of shipping which is pretty stand up in my opinion. I wouldve liked to have found a made in usa one but unfortunately couldnt. Im sure you could find one for your chevy. My requirements would be all aluminum, added capacity, and made in usa. For what its worth, the mishimoto was beautiful. It just didnt work well.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #5

Aluminum radiators can be a great thing. If getting one get a Griffin. Dont mess with the others there not worth it. Order one to exact size etc. Don't get a universal. Plan on paying 600 or more for a custom one. But in the end you will be pleased.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

Saw the prices on line, will pressure test and keep using mine for a while. Can have a couple OEM ones for what the aluminum ones cost and unless I start climbing hills at 70 in the desert I should be fine.
Thanks though.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator