Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2022, 07:41 AM   #1

Aftermarket Headlight Bulbs

I have a 2022 Chevy 2500.
If I have one annoyance, it is the headlights. Between the height and headlight position, if you turn on a dark road at night, you have little visibility to the road till you are straight on it.

I see bulbs in the $150 range that are supposed to improve visibility.

Anyone make this change. I hate meeting someone on the road that has bright pinpoint lights so I want to avoid that.

Thanks

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Custom 6.6 Gas
Doss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #2

Interesting in 2022 companies still can not make headlights that light up all the road. Especially when turning.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #3

Does Chevy still use actual bulbs?
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Interesting in 2022 companies still can not make headlights that light up all the road. Especially when turning.
Many can, in fact, I'll go out on a limb and say most can. I've had corner-illuminating lights and road-following headlights in all of my cars since 2012.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #5

First I would try adjusting your headlight’s aim better. These new vehicles have extremely bright headlights.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #6

I complained about the headlights to no avail on my 2018 GMC because they shook on bumps in the road, expansion joints made it like they were strobe lights. There are better bulbs and when i can remember the name i will post it. Morimoto is the aftermarket bulbs.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
First I would try adjusting your headlight’s aim better. These new vehicles have extremely bright headlights.
some do; some don't. The lights on my Audi SQ8 are amazing, the standard halogens on my 2022 Super Duty are not. .....the LED's that are optional on the Lariat and standard on upper trim levels are very bright though

Dave
Old 12-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
some do; some don't. The lights on my Audi SQ8 are amazing, the standard halogens on my 2022 Super Duty are not. .....the LED's that are optional on the Lariat and standard on upper trim levels are very bright though

Dave
So bright I even get flashed when not hauling anything. I'm not sure if lowering them would even help.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post

Doss, have you checked the "cut-off" line for your low beams? Once it's set correctly, your high beams will likely be much better also.

I'm not a big fan of LED headlights that are standard in most low to mid price vehicles these days. Great close range lighting, but they just don't seem to reach out like the quartz lights from the past.

The link below shows what a good cut-off beam should look like. Shine your lights on a garage door or some similar light coloured wall.

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #10

I have a 2022 Ford F-350 dually on order - Limited trim - supposed to be built next week - am I likely to have headlight issues? Thanks and Merry Christmas
DrT7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT7575 View Post
I have a 2022 Ford F-350 dually on order - Limited trim - supposed to be built next week - am I likely to have headlight issues? Thanks and Merry Christmas
You'll have the halogen bulb lights but because there are 4 of them, and all 4 will be on, other drivers will think your high beams are on.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:12 AM   #12

I installed Diode Dynamics Led bulbs in my fog lights and it really helped, and has a sharp cut off line.
Most of the trucks that blind you are ones that had a leveling kit installed, and have or added Led headlights.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #13

Thanks for asking and also being aware of bright headlight issues .

I don't want to paint all Ford pickups with the same broad brush, but my experience is that they have very bright headlights and are also mounted very high, especially on the already taller 4WD versions. This is complicated by lots of drivers leaving their bright beams on; further adding to the extreme light seen by oncoming drivers.

I really get upset over the "flash" of projector beam headlights, LED brightness, and the jerks that drive around with their fog/driving lights always ON. I accept that the best solution is to not look directly at the lights but focus on the opposite edge of the road but, at times at night turning left on green at at busy intersections, the oncoming light load is so bright that I almost lose situational awareness. Of course, when not in our motorhome, I drive a car with a low seating position compared to the SUV's and trucks. Such vehicles, cars, are now so rare that the new drive by postal boxes have the IN slot so high that the driver of a car can barely reach up to deposit a letter.

OK, end of rant, flame suit on, and thanks to those who practice correct headlight discipline .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT7575 View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Thanks for asking and also being aware of bright headlight issues .

I don't want to paint all Ford pickups with the same broad brush, but my experience is that they have very bright headlights and are also mounted very high, especially on the already taller 4WD versions. This is complicated by lots of drivers leaving their bright beams on; further adding to the extreme light seen by oncoming drivers.

I really get upset over the "flash" of projector beam headlights, LED brightness, and the jerks that drive around with their fog/driving lights always ON. I accept that the best solution is to not look directly at the lights but focus on the opposite edge of the road but, at times at night turning left on green at at busy intersections, the oncoming light load is so bright that I almost lose situational awareness. Of course, when not in our motorhome, I drive a car with a low seating position compared to the SUV's and trucks. Such vehicles, cars, are now so rare that the new drive by postal boxes have the IN slot so high that the driver of a car can barely reach up to deposit a letter.

OK, end of rant, flame suit on, and thanks to those who practice correct headlight discipline .
I have many of the same issues you have. Practically every car or truck on the road nowdays has their low mounted driving or fog lights on along with their headlights, which is a waste of bulb life as those, while adding to the blinding light, really only give short range light on the road for the driver. I guess its just "cool" to have everything on.

That being said, when i bought my '03 RAM it had cheap replacement aftermarket lights in it that scattered the light everywhere, out to the sides, up in the trees, everywhere. Then I discovered that the parking light bulbs had melted the reflector in front of them and collapsed onto the bulb itself. I finally bought a set of genuine Damiler Chrysler replacement light housings with lamps, but the light output is meodicre. Aiming light from LEDs is tricky with a reflector system, which is why projector lights were invented, since they use a lens to focus the LED's light and the good ones, such as Alpha Rex and Morimoto are projector design. Sadly they are $700 to $1000 so they are going to have to wait a while before I can afford to get them.

Charles

Tags
headlight, light