Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2022, 08:08 PM   #1

Air Suspension Yes or No

As I have a WDH I was wondering if I really need air suspension to level out my trucks rear end. When I check the measurement with the WDH everything seems to be in order. It just seemed that the front end was too high and the trailer seamed to sway a little too much for my liking. Then again I'm new at this and I'm a little cautious when it comes to pulling the trailer. Any assistance would be a great help.
Thanks
Randall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Air bags might help level your TV, but not the sway.

Check your hitch weight, it should be around 15% of the trailer weight.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #3

Air bags won't fix sway or help transfer lost weight back to the front of the truck.
You need to either tighten up the WDH or get one thats stronger.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #4

I doubt air bags will help. They are rarely the correct solution. Post a picture from the side of your rig hitched up on level ground, that will help us. Measure before and after you hook up the WDH, does your front end squat as well (it should). Do you have anything hanging off the back of the trailer? If so take it off. Like stated above you want at least 15% of the trailer weight on the ball of your hitch. Sometimes filling your water tanks will help. Also make sure all your tires are aired up to max. What kind of trailer and tow vehicle do you have?

I know, lots of questions, but I doubt air bags is the answer.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:55 PM   #5

Adding air bags can be somewhat beneficial if used correctly with a WDH. Obviously they are more beneficial when carrying a load, and not towing.

It’s not much different than upgrading the suspension to carry heavier loads. Many have either added additional leafs, or installed a higher rated coil to help with towing.

Important part is that when towing the air bags should only be used slightly to reduce a small percentage of sag before the WDH is set up and installed.

So if your truck sags 2.5”, before using the air bags and then using them to decrease that to only 2”, before the WDH is set up, can help with smoothing out the ride. Never adjust the air bags after the WDH is set up.

Recommend going with strengthening the TV suspension slightly instead. As its just less potential for throwing off the WDH. Shocks are also a worthy upgrade.

With our upgraded coils, the truck squats 1 5/8”, before the WDH is installed, and the truck rides really smooth while towing.

Any TV that has a lot of squat, and requires lots of tension from a WDH, ride quality will suffer.

Weighing your set up is always recommended to make sure your not overloading your axels.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:25 PM   #6

i have air bags on mine but you should be able to level out your truck and trailer with your weight dist hitch and your ball position. i had a proposing problem, so i set my bars so that my truck and trailer are level then pump my bags up until the truck just starts to lift. it did help a lot.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #7

Like others said, airbags won't help with sway or getting weight back on the front end. They are most beneficial for controlling "porpoising" and ride quality.

My setup was correct and the truck was level and the trailer just slightly nose down, but over some bumps it would propoise quite a bit. I added timbrens and gained 1" of ride height when loaded and significantly reduced the propoising. Before the timbrens I cranked my WD bars all the way to the max...with the timbrens I've been able to run them at about 75% instead.

The timbrens are cheaper than airbags, don't effect unladen ride quality and don't require adding or removing air for different loads.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, suspension