RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 05:22 AM   #1

Airbag question on air pressure

I have a 16 Ram 1500 5.7 3.92 gears Iím towing a 6300 lb Minnie Plus. I was getting a lot of rear sag I never noticed before and just added Airlift 1000 airbags. I made an appointment to get my WDH adjusted to make sure all is ok. The directions on the airbags was minimal indicating 35 lbs max pressure and 5 when not needed. So I picked 20 lbs. I have to say the difference was amazing with being level and not riding in a bucking bronco. They adjusted the WDH up a notch and I returned the trailer to storage.
My question is to how do I figure out the proper air pressure? The manual says to use trial and error till you get it right, but I have no idea whatís right other than being level. Any tips is appreciated.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #2

Keep in mind that you have sag because itís a lot of weight for the truck. I looked at those trailers and your tongue is over 1000 pounds easily. That is a big trailer for a small truck. I would go with 35 and remove some. And inch or less of squat should be the goal. I had the black hd bags in mine and used 36 psi.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #3

Keep in mind that if you change your bag pressure settings after your WDH is dialed in it will probably affect your ride height and alter your WDH effectiveness. Too much pressure and you could potentially defeat all weight shift and anti-sway characteristics of your WDH.

I've had good luck adjusting the hitch so your shank is a half inch down from unloaded then bringing up to normal with the bags. It doesn't take much.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
Keep in mind that you have sag because itís a lot of weight for the truck. I looked at those trailers and your tongue is over 1000 pounds easily. That is a big trailer for a small truck. I would go with 35 and remove some. And inch or less of squat should be the goal. I had the black hd bags in mine and used 36 psi.
Itís a 29.5 foot trailer at 6300 dry. The mfr says itís 750 lb tongue weight. I donít necessarily believe the mfr just wonder how you arrive at over a thousand. Donít take it as a challenge itís a question because Iím trying to learn. I depended on the dealer because thatís all I have. In the meantime I have a 1/2 ton I have to live with. Next truck will be a 3/4
Thankfully the airbags did a lot. It was pretty level when I took it to the dealer.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
Itís a 29.5 foot trailer at 6300 dry. The mfr says itís 750 lb tongue weight.
You answered your own question..... Dry Weight. Have you put anything in the trailer since you bought it? Do you travel with any water? A 750# dry tongue trailer is very likely right around 1,000# loaded up and rolling.

My advice for the bags would be to deflate them completely and return them. Then, buy an HD truck. I'm not trying to be a dick but the reason you're having trouble is you have the wrong truck for the job.

A buddy I travel with regularly had the exact truck and nearly identical weight trailer. He white-knuckled and screwed around with his WDH and airbags for years before finally listening to me that he didn't have enough truck. He now has an F350 and is much happier when he arrives at camp.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
Itís a 29.5 foot trailer at 6300 dry. The mfr says itís 750 lb tongue weight. I donít necessarily believe the mfr just wonder how you arrive at over a thousand. Donít take it as a challenge itís a question because Iím trying to learn. I depended on the dealer because thatís all I have. In the meantime I have a 1/2 ton I have to live with. Next truck will be a 3/4
Thankfully the airbags did a lot. It was pretty level when I took it to the dealer.
On a bumper tow trailer, most times trailer "dry tongue weight" does not include a battery, nor full propane tanks. A battery is easily 50-60 lbs, and another 40 to 50 lbs of propane depending on tank size.

The weight distribution hitch is not included, and can easily hit 70 to 100 lbs with the bars.

Now start adding water in the trailer, clothes (often at the front), dishes,food and other supplies...Most times I see dry weight is barely 75% of actual weight.

On a tow behind, figure tongue weight at 10-15% of GVWR of the trailer.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

Never believe the number given by the manufacturer. I have a 21ft travel trailer and the paper says 407 lbs tongue weight. I hooked it up to my F-250 (unloaded) and try to adjust my WDH, I was shocked my rear dropped by 1-3/4Ē. Thatís a lot for a 3/4 ton truck and I pull the trailer through CAT scale and then the truck alone 15 mins later. I did some math and the number blowed my mind. My tongue weight is 692 lbs. Thatís 170% of what the manufacturer listed.
So, pull your rig thru CAT. I think you will be surprised too.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #8

I literally looked at that exact trailer. You are over 1000 with nothing in it. Itís 750 plus 100 with the wdh. You have double 30lb tanks which is 110. Battery is 50. Thatís 1010. Even with empty tanks. You are going to have at least 500 pounds of gear in the camper. It all adds up. Those Winnies are legit. The gvwr of that trailer is 9995. You probably wonít fill the rv with that much stuff. But you could be significantly overweight for your truck. The ram you have is probably 1400-1500 payload.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:30 AM   #9

The tongue weight posts make sense. I attempt to put nothing in the truck except us. I never tow with water and the black and gray tanks are empty. Other than clothes and the kitchen stuff there isnít much in the camper, oh yea the golf clubs. I honestly canít afford a new truck right now. My next will be bigger. Itís a shame when you donít know what youíre doing all the dealers told me a half ton will be fine. Even all the car dealers told me the same. I bought the trailer first and could have bought a bigger truck at the time. So in the meantime I have to make this work. The airbags did help a lot. When I drove back from the dealer it was the first time I could drive with one hand. I never realized how the truck got tossed around before since I had nothing to compare it to. So for now I wonít pack stuff in the bed and distribute the weight in the trailer. I usually get water and shop for food when I get to the CG.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #10

Airbag question on air pressure

Towing with the same truck, a 17 Ram 1500, 5.7, 3.92. But my trailer has a GVWR of 5,700.
Agree the stock coils are soft, purchased a set of TuffTruck TTC-1211 at 50% greater capacity.
You have to be very careful with air bags as you can defeat the benefits a WDH offers.
It may take you some time to get it dialed in. I would start by hooking up the trailer to the truck with no WDH, and add air to where you are still getting adequate sag like 2.5Ē, and then dial in the WDH from there.
Another option to improve handling is a Hellwig sway bar.
But agree with above posters that a 3/4 ton truck is preferred.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #11

That’s helpful thanks a lot. I initially tried 20 lbs and that seemed pretty good, but I’ll experiment with your method. They told me at the RV dealer that my end result should have the truck and trailer pretty level. Would you agree with that?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #12

Yes, but you want the WDH to do most of the work. Because itís distributing weight to your trailer axels, and back to the front axel of the TV.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airbag