Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #15

I wouldnt supply a hitch, but i wouldnt rent my trailer out either. If you use your hitch and something happens, its on you. If you use his hitch and something happens, its on him. I always see the stuff on here about insurance not paying, but this gets a pass?
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO View Post
A modern-day half-ton can't tow a 30-ft trailer that weighs 6,000 lbs?

My payload is to 2000 lbs. I've seen 3/4 tons with less than that.
I didn't say you couldn't tow it; I said it was marginal and I didn't see the weight mentioned before but 6,000 lbs and 25' or so is my "line in the sand" for a half ton. ....and regardless of your rated payload, there is a big difference in towing between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton.

You may be within your ratings and you can certainly hook up and drive away but a 1500 is far from ideal for any 30' TT IMO.

while we are discussing it, I'm assuming it's a 30' trailer from hitch to bumper?

2 cents,
Dave
Old 07-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #17

I don't tow a trailer, but do occasionally tow a race car...

Toyota highlander can do 5000lbs... I tow 4000, no issues. Trailer has electric brakes

A half ton pick up cant tow 6000???

Surprised to read that. I would think as long as the tongue weight and balance were correct, should work...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #18

I looked the model up on the internet and this particular trailer is 28.3 ft in length overall.

I wouldn't be overloaded in any of the metrics stated on the door stickers for my particular truck. My truck also has the heavy tow pkg option.
ThirdSpaceCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
I don't tow a trailer, but do occasionally tow a race car...

Toyota highlander can do 5000lbs... I tow 4000, no issues. Trailer has electric brakes

A half ton pick up cant tow 6000???

Surprised to read that. I would think as long as the tongue weight and balance were correct, should work...
1) big difference between an open race car trailer and a 30' TT as far as windage and leverage on the hitch

2) Nobody said a half ton pickup can't tow 6,000 lbs, Old Biscuit opined it was "Max" and I said it was " marginal" based on the 30' length. I currently have 7 trucks including 2 1500's, 2 2500's, 2 3500 SRW's and one 3500 DRW and 7 trailers from 2,000 lbs to 12,000 lbs.

3) The OP has since added the weight and clarified that the trailer is shorter at just over 28'. certainly doable with a decent half ton but not without a WD hitch

2 cents,
Dave
Old 07-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO View Post
I wouldn't be overloaded in any of the metrics stated on the door stickers for my particular truck. My truck also has the heavy tow pkg option.
Very rare for boat trailers to have a WDH and many of them are well over that weight (and length!) If it was my trailer I'd have a WDH -- if it was a rental I would be comfortable as long as it was below the specs on the truck. Certain models of the 2020 F-150 can tow up to 13,000lbs.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #21

...and as far as the original topic goes; I think it would be the responsibility of the renter to provide the WD hitch and since 90+% of renters would need one, he should have provided one. A renter isn't going to have thier own WD hitch and it's unreasonable to think they should have one and would install the brackets on the A frame, etc.

Again, I think the OP did the right thing even if he wasn't popular with the renter or the family for doing it.

Dave
Old 07-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
Certain models of the 2020 F-150 can tow up to 13,000lbs.
No, certain (rare) F150's are marketed to be able to tow that much but most would run out of payload long before they'd ever reach that figure. In the real world, 13,000 lbs is well into one ton territory

2 cents,
Dave
Old 07-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #23

From the Renter's point of view, I would have asked, How far away is the campground? If it wasn't too far away, I would have tried to haul it for the OP.

If the OP didn't feel comfortable, he did the right thing.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
From the Renter's point of view, I would have asked, How far away is the campground? If it wasn't too far away, I would have tried to haul it for the OP.

I interpreted the first post to say he was picking it up locally and hauling it 4 hours away....

Dave
Old 07-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #25

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I interpreted the first post to say he was picking it up locally and hauling it 4 hours away....

Dave
My wife is livid as we're driving 4 hours away to another state to camp on a lake and it's going to be blazing hot. She's not super excited about tent camping with our two little toddlers.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post

Dave
You are correct Dave, I quickly read through the posts and missed that.

I didn't know that renting an individual's RV/TT was a thing. I know there are companies that rent them but not individuals. I couldn't imagine having someone else's RV/TT 4 hours away and have trouble with it. I think as the TT owner, I would restrict how far away a renter could take it.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #27

Where is 'moveon' ? He will say using a WD is more dangerous. I don't believe this in total and think a WD is necessary in this case. Now you know more questions to ask before you rent. Live and learn.

Women - remember, you can't live without them. Hope you do not take too much heat from it being hot. No pun. My wife would blame me because it is hot...ugh.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #28

Quote:

Yes, great idea. If it was close I would've done it but our trip is 3.5 hours away one way to the next state over.
ThirdSpaceCO is offline   Reply With Quote