Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 06:07 AM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
It's true. Ask a trailer rental company.

Sure. Which one? I've rented many trailers from rental companies as part of my job for many years. It depends on the trailer, but most don't require a WDH or can't accept one. That has nothing to do with a WDH being a band aid for an undersized vehicle. The thinking that if the tow vehicle is just big enough it doesn't need a WDH is dangerous. If you need it, you need it. Try renting a trailer that requires a WDH and see what they tell you when you show up with a tow vehicle that's big enough to not need it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 06:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Sure. Which one? I've rented many trailers from rental companies as part of my job for many years. It depends on the trailer, but most don't require a WDH or can't accept one. That has nothing to do with a WDH being a band aid for an undersized vehicle. The thinking that if the tow vehicle is just big enough it doesn't need a WDH is dangerous. If you need it, you need it. Try renting a trailer that requires a WDH and see what they tell you when you show up with a tow vehicle that's big enough to not need it.
A trailer doesn't require a WD hitch. A tow vehicle does if it's rear axle is overloaded. Aside from that, taking load off the rear wheels and putting it onto the front wheels has been proven, both mathematically and through extensive testing, to increase instability.
move on is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #45

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
A trailer doesn't require a WD hitch. A tow vehicle does if it's rear axle is overloaded. Aside from that, taking load off the rear wheels and putting it onto the front wheels has been proven, both mathematically and through extensive testing, to increase instability.

OK. Try it and post your results back here.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:12 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
Pretty sure that unless things have changed in last couple model years, the hitch on the F150 indicates you are limited to 500 lbs tongue weight/5000 lb trailer when towing without a WDH.
Looks like you are correct, at least for 2021. See the F150 Tow Specs I downloaded.

I like the way this guide is setup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 21Towing_Ford_F150_Dec3.pdf (727.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #47

I just went and looked at a rental site for grins. It seemed like every travel trailer I clicked on was focused on the owner delivering the trailer, as opposed to the renter hauling it.

I would be worried about letting some inexperienced person who just bought them a fancy new truck and wanted to haul it cross country.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Highlighted area ------ seems WDH is a GOOD thing

One does not have to overload rear axle to benefit form WDH
Hardly a 'band-aid'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
'move on' does have somewhat of a point. I guess I agree with him more than I don't. I agree you should have the right sized tow vehicle to start, that is key. Another key is having a vehicle with a long enough wheelbase to control the trailer.

I disagree with 'do not use a WD hitch'. I believe they do smooth out 75% of the bounciness. I towed a 6,500lb traver trailer with a dually truck w/o a WD hitch. In this case I had enough truck but did experienced more bouncing than I liked.

In my experience.

A F-150 towing a 5,500lb travel trailer with a WD hitch was better than the dually truck towing a 6,500lb travel trailer without a WD hitch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
As you sort of agree with move-on, I sorta agree with you! The key is always to have enough vehicle. I also agree that there are times when a WD hitch is necessary (such as an F150 towing a 30' trailer) but I disagree that the F150 with a WD hitch was "better" than a dually without - there may have been less bouncing and the ride may have felt more comfortable but the dually would have been more stable and safer

I don't use a WD hitch on my setup because I don't need one and WD hitches DO have their downsides. In my case, my truck is plenty large with an abundance of payload, GAWR and tire capacity.......it also is equipped with a Class V superhitch rated at 1.700 lbs deadweight. I wouldn't say the ride is the best; it can be a bit rough on potholes or when crossing railroad tracks but it is dead stable. A friend followed me in his sportscar on a winding road and he couldn't believe how well the trailer tracked.....part of that is due to the trailer (adequate tongue weight, good balance, good tires and suspension with gas shocks) but part is definitely due to the extreme stability of the tow vehicle.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 07-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
The thinking that if the tow vehicle is just big enough it doesn't need a WDH is dangerous.
I don't agree; my setup may be unusual but I definitely do not need a WD hitch due to the fact that my TV far exceeds my TT's towing requirements. In my case a WD hitch wouldn't do anything useful and would decrease stability in low traction conditions.

.....but I'm not anti-WD hitch and certainly many/most people and setups benefit from them.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 07-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #51

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
As you sort of agree with move-on, I sorta agree with you!

2 cents,
Dave

Move on isn't incorrect. A bigger vehicle is better for towing. I took issue with the way he made his point and his band aid comment. If you need one, you do, if you don't, you don't. A bigger vehicle won't replace a WDH or what it does.

Back to the OP's question, I would have wanted a WDH in that situation (even with a bigger tow vehicle) and he was right to turn down the rental when there wasn't one available. Hopefully the company picks it up and lets renters know what they're getting into.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Looks like you are correct, at least for 2021. See the F150 Tow Specs I downloaded.

I like the way this guide is setup.
OP says they have a 1/2 ton Chevrolet with the max-towing package (which comes with a Class IV hitch) and you guys are posting the specs on a 1/2 ton Ford using a bumper mounted ball?
Old 07-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO View Post

It may be on me this time but what happens when he rents his travel trailer to someone in a Pathfinder and they get in a wreck and kill their whole family. Who's it on then? I'm just worried about the next guy who doesn't know any better and still tries to tow that way.
I hear you. That could happen.

I guess my point is if a guy in a pathfinder reads the listing and shows up unprepared, its on HIM as well. Unfortunately (as you are surely trying to convey) it could be unsafe for others. That’s true in any towing scenario involving personal choice.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #54

Quote:

It may be on me this time but what happens when he rents his travel trailer to someone in a Pathfinder and they get in a wreck and kill their whole family. Who's it on then? I'm just worried about the next guy who doesn't know any better and still tries to tow that way.
I know in cdl land the second you sign off on that pti its your baby. I dont think private use should be any different.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #55

Wife ended up sleeping with our baby in a friend's pop-up that had AC. Me and the other little in my canvas tent...hot as blazes! Slept on top of the sleeping bag in just my underwear. Ive definitely been spoiled by camping in conditioned space RVs.

In the end we feel like we made the right decision. Interestingly, I learned a new way to tow a giant fifth wheel down to the water's edge through deep sand.Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210722_234823510.MP.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	337199Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210722_214137680.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	337200
ThirdSpaceCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Wife ended up sleeping with our baby in a friend's pop-up that had AC. Me and the other little in my canvas tent...hot as blazes! Slept on top of the sleeping bag in just my underwear. Ive definitely been spoiled by camping in conditioned space RVs.

In the end we feel like we made the right decision. Interestingly, I learned a new way to tow a giant fifth wheel down to the water's edge through deep sand.Attachment 337199Attachment 337200
Heck ive been thinking about using my backhoe in the same way. Put a hole in the loader bucket for the pin and away you go. It would be easier than running it up the grass hill with highway tires, but those bar tires will dig you to china in a hurry.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote