Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #85

I have been towing TTs with F-150s for 15 years and I would have done the same. Recently saw a guy at local dealership pulling 30 ft TT with a 1/2 ton and no wdh and his truck bumper was nearly dragging. I had a trailer tire blowout a couple of times and was thankful for the wdh.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebb130 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't pull a 30ft bumper pull camper with my half ton pickup. WDH doesn't stop the trailer!
Correct, the trailer brakes do.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #87

Wdh vs non wdh and 1/2 ton truck

I do not have any experience with travel trailers (campers) but I do have experience with towing race cars/bikes in enclosed trailers. Very similar setup.

I towed everything from a 14x7, 24x8.5, 34x8.5 and 20x20 enclosed trailers. I pulled them with a 94 suburban 1500 1/2 ton ( 10k towing pkg) a 2000 crew cab,long bed diesel dally. With and without a wdh.

I wouldn’t go over the non wdh rating even with a wdh. And wouldn’t go over 75% with a non wdh.

The suburban was rated at 10k tow rated and the 24 ft trailer as rated for 7k. It was never loaded over 6k. It was a handful without wdh at that point. Adding a wdh and sway control certainly calmed down the package.

The next rig was the dw truck. It never had an issue either way with the 24. Later I got a 34x8.5 ft bumper pull 15.5k trailer and the dally could tow without wdh but was much more stable with wdh.

Both truck and trailer are gone now and I tow a 20x8.5 ft 10k rated trailer. I tow it behind a 40ft diesel pusher mh. It doesn’t care either way. I tried a wdh and found that it drug on almost everything in sight. Without it it towed great.

I also think the ratio of towed trailer to tow rig is important. The DP is not affected by the smaller trailer at all . Just have to be mindful of the length.

Rv safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Chevy 1/2 ton-----30' trailer

No WDH.....No deal

Simple........
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Chevy 1/2 ton-----30' trailer

No WDH.....No deal

Simple........
Well stated.

A couple of weeks ago we encountered a 1/2 ton truck towing a 30 ft or so travel trailer with out a W/D hitch. I spoke to the fellow and he was proud that he did not waste money on an "expensive" W/D hitch. He had air bags to "level-up" the truck and was using a dead weigh hitch like you used on a cargo trailer. He complained that the rig was hard to steer and the truck "bounced" a lot. I tried to explain to him what the W/D hitch would do for him and the safety issue of his cheap hitch. I doubt if I did any good.

Ken
Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Correct, the trailer brakes do.

Yeah I am not sure why so many people miss this. Your trailer brakes should be stopping 80-90% of your trailer weight, if not all. If it is not, you have something wrong & need to get it fixed. If your truck brakes are doing most of the stopping, you are going to ruin them period! Excessive heat will warp the rotors, boil the fluid, killing your calipers, & wearing out your pads prematurely.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
Yeah I am not sure why so many people miss this. Your trailer brakes should be stopping 80-90% of your trailer weight, if not all. If it is not, you have something wrong & need to get it fixed. If your truck brakes are doing most of the stopping, you are going to ruin them period! Excessive heat will warp the rotors, boil the fluid, killing your calipers, & wearing out your pads prematurely.
I don't think so; it varies greatly depending on speed - at low speeds or low decelleration rates, I'm sure the trailer brakes can supply the majority of the braking but in an emergency stop, I'd bet good money the tow vehicle supplies the majority of the braking. Do you really believe that you can do a panic stop in the same distance towing your trailer vs. the tow vehicle alone?....

And the added load on the TV brakes is just another reason to chose a TV with larger and better brakes.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 07-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I don't think so; it varies greatly depending on speed - at low speeds or low decelleration rates, I'm sure the trailer brakes can supply the majority of the braking but in an emergency stop, I'd bet good money the tow vehicle supplies the majority of the braking. Do you really believe that you can do a panic stop in the same distance towing your trailer vs. the tow vehicle alone?....

And the added load on the TV brakes is just another reason to chose a TV with larger and better brakes.

2 cents,
Dave
Your tv is only designed to stop the gvwr, not the gcwr. If your trailer isnt stopping its weight something is wrong.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #93

Quote:
Your tv is only designed to stop the gvwr, not the gcwr. If your trailer isnt stopping its weight something is wrong.

Again; I don't think so......but my understanding of the forces involved after a couple years of university physics COULD be wrong.

Again, I say that in a panic stop.....say from 60mph, I am CERTAIN that the tow vehicle + travel trailer combination will take longer to stop than the TV by itself - ergo; the TV is providing a substantial portion of the braking power slowing the combination in emergency situations. ......to be otherwise, you'd see no increase in the forward forces on the ball and the TV+TT combo would stop in the same distance or a SHORTER distance......I can't see that happening.

just looking at the size and type of brakes and tires and comparing the weights of the TV vs. TT should show you that the trailer can't hope to stop itself in the same distance as the truck.

Dave
Old 07-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Again; I don't think so......but my understanding of the forces involved after a couple years of university physics COULD be wrong.

Again, I say that in a panic stop.....say from 60mph, I am CERTAIN that the tow vehicle + travel trailer combination will take longer to stop than the TV by itself - ergo; the TV is providing a substantial portion of the braking power slowing the combination in emergency situations. ......to be otherwise, you'd see no increase in the forward forces on the ball and the TV+TT combo would stop in the same distance or a SHORTER distance......I can't see that happening.

just looking at the size and type of brakes and tires and comparing the weights of the TV vs. TT should show you that the trailer can't hope to stop itself in the same distance as the truck.

Dave
Look, like it or not its on every manufacturers tow guides. Guess they dont know what theyre talking about. In the extreme case, semi trucks usually take longer to stop empty. You can think youre right all you want but im lissening to the maker on this one. The trailer is legally required to stop itself also.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #95

Quote:
Look, like it or not its on every manufacturers tow guides. Guess they dont know what theyre talking about. In the extreme case, semi trucks usually take longer to stop empty. You can think youre right all you want but im lissening to the maker on this one. The trailer is legally required to stop itself also.
Semis are a different animal for a variety of reasons. I'll make it simple; do you believe your truck will stop in less distance towing your trailer or not? ....it's a yes or no answer.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #96

I drive semis, and the idea works the same regardless of the size of the combination. As far as stopping distance, properly adjusted brakes will get you stopped in a hurry, but theres alot of factors. You wont be stopping as fast completely loaded either.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #97

Quote:
I drive semis, and the idea works the same regardless of the size of the combination. As far as stopping distance, properly adjusted brakes will get you stopped in a hurry, but theres alot of factors. You wont be stopping as fast completely loaded either.
The concept is similar, Semis vs. TT's but the practical results aren't necessarily the same - the difference between the weights of the TV vs. trailer, tires, brakes and brake type are all far different.

In any case, unless you believe your pickup and travel trailer combo will stop as quick or quicker than your pickup alone, then the TV IS supplying braking power to the trailer.....and I strongly suspect that the braking power it's supplying is a significant percentage when talking about an emergency stop

Dave
Old 07-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #98

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I've been towing since the late 70s and I can tell you that just because it can pull it, it doesn't mean you should or that it is safe or comfortable. I would not pull a 30 foot travel trailer with a half ton, hell my 23' is too tall and heavy for a half ton, I tried it once.

And I just hit on something there, weight isn't all there is to it. It's how that weight is distributed too. Where you might be able to pull a 10k flat bed, things get much different when the load is taller than the truck.