Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #71

Thank you for keeping the roads safe. I wish more people thought like you.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #72

i agree with the others OP- you did the right thing. Just curious-looks like you were at McConaughy? I know a lot of your fellow coloradans like to go there
Old 07-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #73

My first thought that comes to mind is that an improperly setup WDH is likely worse than none at all and this is a case of trying to rent too large of trailer without the correct towing equipment.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:32 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
As someone towing a 32' TT, I would have to agree.

My WD hitch could probably be installed on a rental unit pretty easily. Would most truck owners who do not own a trailer normally have a WD hitch?

The bigger issue, and with a 30' long trailer, might be as big a concern: My sway control requires drilling into the trailer frame. I have this vision of multiple people drilling into the trailer frame for various anti-sway devices and one day the tongue just breaks off the trailer.

If you owned and rented out your own trailer that you somewhat cared about would you really want multiple dimples in your a frame from all the different variations of bar lengths and clamp styles from the various models of WD Hitches all over the place? I would only want one set up made with the appropriate torsion bars rated to maintain the correct balance of the trailer and not someone bringing something that may be way too stiff or potentially too light.

Joe Average when he sees hitch not included is going to understand that to mean he needs to have a receiver on his tow vehicle to accept the WD head unit that has already been matched to the trailer.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
i agree with the others OP- you did the right thing. Just curious-looks like you were at McConaughy? I know a lot of your fellow coloradans like to go there
Yes, lake McConaughy in Nebraska. We loved it and will go back again next year... hopefully with a RV this time.
ThirdSpaceCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:57 AM   #76
RJ2

Mandatory WD Hitch to take off Lazy Days Lot

I have Bought a Winnebago View and also Bought a 2021 Grand design Imagine 2600 RB., at Lazy Days . Went to pick up GRAND DESIGN unit and Lazy days informed us it is not allowed by the federal and state government to release a 6000 lb trailer to a Glorified 1/2 ton TUNDRA CREWMAX.
I went over to the Ford place and purchased a 2021 f250 with trailer pkg.
SINCE then I have towed the IMAGINE back in to get a slide awning installed , did not put on WD hitch for the 4 mile trip, even on the F250 without the WD equilizer, I realised that my stomach got sick from the up and down movement. When the equaliser
hitch is on , it levels the truck and trailer out and no rocking movement is noticed or happens .
I really feel sorry for people anytime I see no weight distribution on ANY truck. We had long time camping friends roll there truck and trailer on I-4 . Since then they got the Mac Daddy $3,500 WD hitch.
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #77

I would have gone to harbor freight, bought a wdh hooked it up and went on about my trip. Yes, you would have lost a couple hours, and maybe $200, but well worth it to enjoy the rest of your vacation. And yes, I have used their hitch to tow a 28’ travel trailer with a suburban without issues, the 5.3 in the suburban was a little under powered, but it was a smooth easy drive.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:55 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
If you owned and rented out your own trailer that you somewhat cared about would you really want multiple dimples in your a frame from all the different variations of bar lengths and clamp styles from the various models of WD Hitches all over the place? I would only want one set up made with the appropriate torsion bars rated to maintain the correct balance of the trailer and not someone bringing something that may be way too stiff or potentially too light.

Joe Average when he sees hitch not included is going to understand that to mean he needs to have a receiver on his tow vehicle to accept the WD head unit that has already been matched to the trailer.
I think that was the point I was making, I wouldn't want every renter doing his own thing.

I have never explored the travel trailer rental world. We looked at renting a motorhome a couple of times, but didn't do it. I How you handle something as specific as the hitch is interesting. I think all too often, we all would sit here and say, I have a 2" receiver, I can tow anything (within reason) with my truck.

I am in the process of setting up to haul a new trailer - my original travel trailer has been totalled and we are picking up an exact replacement Saturday. I had a problem with part of my hitch on the old trailer, so I ordered replacement pieces before I had the official word it was totaled. Those pieces are removable. However, the ball that is hard mounted to the trailer for the anti-sway is on order. Because I am setting up a new trailer, I probably am seeing the issues that could arise with a WD hitch, and I can't imagine having a rental trailer without that including the appropriate WD hitch, or perhaps requiring the tow vehicle to be a 3/4 or full ton truck.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO View Post
Just a quick rant and a question.

I rented a 30-ft long travel trailer through the rental site Outdoorsy and I showed up to the guy's house to pick up the trailer and he doesn't have or use a weight distributing hitch. I was shocked and told him that I could not take delivery of the rental as it was unsafe. He looked at me like I was crazy! He says he rents it all the time and no one has ever had an issue. I've rented probably 10 travel trailers at this point and EVERY ONE OF THEM has come with a weight distributing hitch.

I'm towing with a late model Chevrolet half-ton truck with plenty of payload and the max tow package. My wife is livid as we're driving 4 hours away to another state to camp on a lake and it's going to be blazing hot. She's not super excited about tent camping with our two little toddlers.

I feel like I did the right thing. What are your thoughts?
This does not constitute proof that you are ridiculous. Such proof MAY exist, however.....
MBrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #80

Freightliner Owners Club
all the RV delivery guys are 1. Experienced drivers. 2. they all drive either 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. you won't see them pulling a 30 foot trailer with a F-150. my wife has an expedition max which is rated for 9900 pounds. we have a 24 foot cargo trailer rated at 10,400 pounds. the most I have ever had in it was about 8000 pounds gross. I refuse to pull that trailer with her expedition. it would fit inside the footprint of the trailer. plus a strong winds catches that trailer our expedition would not hold it with out a lot of white knuckles on the steering wheel. I am sorry but I call BS on anyone that thinks it is ok to pull a 30 foot trailer with a 1/2 ton truck sorry.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #81

I think you made the right decision. It is always better to be careful when towing especially a 30 ft trailer. I always towed with a equalizer hitch with a sway bar.
franklin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upServant View Post
all the RV delivery guys are 1. Experienced drivers. 2. they all drive either 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. you won't see them pulling a 30 foot trailer with a F-150. my wife has an expedition max which is rated for 9900 pounds. we have a 24 foot cargo trailer rated at 10,400 pounds. the most I have ever had in it was about 8000 pounds gross. I refuse to pull that trailer with her expedition. it would fit inside the footprint of the trailer. plus a strong winds catches that trailer our expedition would not hold it with out a lot of white knuckles on the steering wheel. I am sorry but I call BS on anyone that thinks it is ok to pull a 30 foot trailer with a 1/2 ton truck sorry.
Depends on the weight.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #83

Seen

Personally, I wouldn't pull a 30ft bumper pull camper with my half ton pickup. WDH doesn't stop the trailer!
swebb130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #84

My7 thoughts are if the trailer is either as long as the wheelbase of the truck or heavier than the truck wdh is a must otherwise you capn8 have the tail owing the dog
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote