Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #15

I will play the devil's advocate. I am a diesel fan, period. I've got a 1/2 ton Ram Eco diesel which tows my current 7000# trailer. It is at it's limit. I've got a bigger trailer on order, capable of 10,000# capacity. I've also got a 1 ton Ram w/Cummins HO on order. Way more truck than needed for the bigger trailer, but I chose the 1 ton over the 3/4 ton for a few reasons.
(1) the cost of 1 ton over 3/4 ton was only about $1K difference but the payload more than doubled. 3-4 ton over my 1/2 ton only went up by 500#.
(2) I wanted a truck that will haul anything I may choose to upgrade to later, just in case.
(3) I'm retired, I expect this to be my last truck and it should last for as long as I can still drive/or die with proper maintenance.
(4) Yes prices are stupid high but with research, I got 6% below MSRP. My local dealer came back and matched the discount I found from a dealer 800 miles away. At first, they wouldn't even discuss MSRP. When I walked, they called back within 2 hrs and we are both happy. I can't say for Ford, but GM dealers I contacted (8 different ones) wouldn't even think of dropping their gold mine prices. With internet search and time (you have 3 yrs) good deals are still out there. Check the forums for the various manufacturers you will learn a lot, pros and cons.
(5) The last company I worked for had a fleet of 500+ trucks. Ranged from 3/4 ton to tractor trailers. All were diesels. The pickups we had at the plant were abused and most had between 200,000 - 550,000 miles.

I've never been sorry that I had overkill on safety, towing capacity or comfort. I have been sorry that I didn't get all I wanted/needed at first. Going back and fixing those issues was costly and frustrating.

These are just my opinions. I your mileage/desires/must haves may vary.

On Edit: Just saw a couple of other comments while typing, which reminded me. I bought my current Ram at a HUGE discount at the beginning of the pandemic. I now have 28K miles on it and the same dealership is taking my trade in at $7K more than I paid for it. You might be amazed at what your trade in is worth.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #16

Only you can say; short trips aren't the best for a diesel but OTOH, I also have a 5-10 mile daily commute and have been doing it for 10 years without issue.....I do plug my diesel in when it gets cold so that it actually fully warms up before I shut it off.

Dave
Old 11-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCamper2 View Post
I'm really struggling with what kind of truck I should order.
- currently have a 7000lb travel trailer
- retire in 3 years and will be RVing for 3-4 months at a time
- out west, Alaska, Canada, high elevation places
- when retired, I'll probably have a 5th wheel at around 12-14,000 pounds
- would definitely prefer a diesel when towing "full time" for us

Current situation
- I work from home
- I drive maybe 3-4 times a week 5-10 miles
- Maybe drive 20-40 miles a week

I have never owed a diesel truck. I've read that a diesel should not "sit". Mine would be doing a lot of sitting for the next 3 years.

Would it be fine to order a diesel now? Or should I try and get a 7.3 gas truck and use that until I'm retired? I hate the thought of going through the truck buying process again in 3 years, but if that is recommended approach, I'll go that route. I just don't want to have diesel issues because the truck wasn't driven much. I really need some help working through this.

Thanks
Quote:
I currently have an 2008 Infinity QX56. I'm over on all my weights towing. My payload is 1258 and my payload is around 1600 pounds (CAT scale). It's a very floaty ride and it feels unsafe to drive long distances.

I did rent a F250 for a 4 week camping trip and that cost me $3000. I do plan on another 4 week trip next year to the Michigan lakes and would rather not incur another rental fee.

I did at one time have a 2022 250 7.3/4.3 Platinum on order but cancelled after the 4 week trip. The constant down shifting and high RPMs of the 6.2 just got on my nerves.

Having some kind of truck now that is safe to drive and a better towing platform is what I'm looking for.

There's a dealer that is currently offering 2% below invoice. I was thinking that is a pretty good deal in today's market.
As others have stated, and also being a diesel owner myself, sitting is not that big of an issue IF the proper care is taken regarding fuel and DEF fluids. Fuel additives can be used to stop the algae growth and , if in cold weather, from turning to gel. DEF shelf life is about a year, so that’s why folks say to be sure and use fresh DEF as it can degrade and crystalize.

The issue with the short trips is the exhaust filter that collects the soot needs a regen process to periodically clean it out. The system only engages when certain conditions are met, operating temp met, vehicle speed, engine rpm, , etc. and that’s why you are being told to drive it 50 miles in one trip a week as it takes time to meet the conditions and for the system to go through the regen process. The vehicles computer tracks the level of soot and will automatically start the regen process when needed and those conditions are met.
However some model trucks allow you to do a manual regen, so that may be something to ask about if you end up getting a truck now as it might eliminate that concern for you.

From what I see, the manufactures haven’t really increased prices dramatically, it’s the dealers that are taking advantage of the supply shortage vs demand and tacking on to the sales price…because they can get away with it now. At some point that should change as supply returns to what ever level the new normal dictates it to be. Seems the 2% below invoice being offered for an ordered truck is from a dealer that’s not so greedy as the others and is offering a better incentive than his competitor’s to lure IE: earn your business his way..

Having typed all that…if it was me I would get what I want and need now… who knows what 3 years from now the landscape will be….as they say it’s only money…but it’s my only money…good luck
Old 11-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #18

Inflation is 6.2% right now, some are predicting 8% soon. Those increases will be reflected in future MSRP pricing. Interest rates are low now and may not be staying that way. If your money is coming from recent stock market gains, they may not hold up. A recession may lower prices, but also depress your mood for a large ticket purchase. Stagflation is the worst scenario. The current situation isn't good, however you know what it is. There are many more things to consider than just discounts off MSRP.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #19

Just got back from driving a 2020 Platinum 7.3 that my local dealer just got in. It had 32,000 miles on it. I could tell this truck had much more 'get up and go' over the 6.2 I rented. However, really hard to know for sure what the towing experience would be until I hook up my 7000lb camper and head for the mountains.

MSRP was $74,000, they were asking $78,500. On the Ford site, I can build a new one for around that or a little less.

I've been saving for years for this purchase. I have around $55,000 to put down. Would finance the rest. I think I could '"afford" a diesel if I really wanted one. I think I do want diesel, just worried about the truck sitting around most of the time and at the end of 3 years, having around 10,000 miles on it and it not running well.

It sounds like if I change the fluids yearly, I should be good with the diesel.

I did rent a Ram 2500 diesel earlier this year. Love the towing experience! I towed in the mountains with the cruise control set at 65 passing truckers in the left lane. My wife says I had this smile on my face the whole time. I don't doubt it.
CrazyCamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #20

Buy what you want and don't settle. Get a good warranty and don't worry about it.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #21

I have had an HD diesel for my daily since 2012/13. I love driving diesels even when I'm not towing and especially when towing. The new trucks are bonkers awesome. If you can find one you want for a price you can live with buy it and don't look back.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #22

Sounds like you need a truck now. Not in 3 years.

My new advice - get the truck you like Ram, Ford, GM. Get a 350/3500 to tow a 5th wheel. Make sure the truck has the 5th wheel prep package. I would lean toward diesel but keep the 7.3 gasser in mind. As you know from renting the Ram, diesel tows great. The 7.3 will tow ok but not great like a diesel.

Dave - I did not know that about the Ford 10 speed. That it is used in the F-350 with either the 6.2 or 7.3 gas engine - thanks.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #23

I went for the diesel. Ordered it in October, hopefully see it in February. Not in a rush. One more thing to keep in mind is how well that diesel will help going down the hills with and engine brake compared with regular brakes. My MH had a transmission retarder, this Ram uses the engine and tranny shifting. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
...just worried about the truck sitting around most of the time and at the end of 3 years, having around 10,000 miles on it and it not running well....
No need to worry about that. I bought my pickup 2.5 years before I bought my RV. Very low mileage because of that. Maybe 18K miles when I first hooked to my RV? Am now at 25k miles, towing and camping, and it runs and pulls like a champ.

Based on your earlier posts, you seem to have a couple options IMHO. A) Get a 1-ton SRW Diesel now, or B) wait and continue camping local with current setup and renting for longer trips. I'd go with A, personally.

I'll also add that I recommend ordering what you want. You don't seem to be in a rush, so don't buy something simply because that is all that is on the lot or inbound (unless it meets your needs/wants!). What you see in my sig was all custom ordered, to my specs, and I am truly a happy camper.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #25

I just bought a new Dodge 2500 gas truck. I had a 6.7 cummins and a 5.9 Cummins and I have a 7.3 Ford super duty. I am so done with this Diesel thing. They pull really well no doubt but between the head gaskets and all the diesel repairs I’m done. They want to 12,000 more for a diesel and this was in October 2021. It’s definitely not worth it. All the extra power and better fuel mileage definitely does not figure out. I operate six class eight over the road trucks with all the fun Emissions but I never had problems with the big trucks as I have with the pickups.
timrfrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrfrv View Post
I just bought a new Dodge 2500 gas truck. I had a 6.7 cummins and a 5.9 Cummins and I have a 7.3 Ford super duty. I am so done with this Diesel thing. They pull really well no doubt but between the head gaskets and all the diesel repairs I’m done. They want to 12,000 more for a diesel and this was in October 2021. It’s definitely not worth it. All the extra power and better fuel mileage definitely does not figure out. I operate six class eight over the road trucks with all the fun Emissions but I never had problems with the big trucks as I have with the pickups.
I agree but... I didn't see this thread as a debate. I also didn't mention to the OP that I actually loathe modern diesels.
He says that he wants a diesel and it's his money so I say more (diesel) power to him.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Only you can say; short trips aren't the best for a diesel but OTOH, I also have a 5-10 mile daily commute and have been doing it for 10 years without issue.....I do plug my diesel in when it gets cold so that it actually fully warms up before I shut it off.

Dave
You might want to investigate that block heater thing. On GMs the cord is actually thermostat controlled (integrated in the cable) and won't operate above -19C or so. I think many brands use this type cable nowadays.

If you're using an aftermarket oil pan warmer mat my comment doesn't apply.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #28

Quote:
I did at one time have a 2022 250 7.3/4.3 Platinum on order but cancelled after the 4 week trip. The constant down shifting and high RPMs of the 6.2 just got on my nerves.
The 7.3 gas engine will be better than the 6.2 in that respect.....but not by much. It is very simple - the 7.3 gas puts out 475 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm. So if you are towing up a mountain pass, guess where that engine will want to run? Then compare it to the Ford 6.7 diesel - 1050 lb-ft of torque at only 1600 rpm! No need for the tranny to shift down and the engine to scream. The Ram/Cummins and GM's Duramax also make twice the torque of a gas engine. And, as anyone will tell you, torque is what gets work done.

Full disclosure - I'm the same way. I detest having my tranny shifting up and down and the engine screaming at high rpms when in the mountains; I find that stressful. Which is why I keep a dually Dodge/Cummins in my garage. Stress-free towing, also with a smile on my face!
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel