Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2021, 04:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
You might want to investigate that block heater thing. On GMs the cord is actually thermostat controlled (integrated in the cable) and won't operate above -19C or so. I think many brands use this type cable nowadays.

If you're using an aftermarket oil pan warmer mat my comment doesn't apply.
I'm ignorant about a great many things (just ask those near me) but I've not heard about the cable being thermostatically controlled. Are you scre about the temp not coming on until -19 C? That is -2.2 F. I would like to believe that my block heater works at a somewhat higher temp than that. If I'm incorrect, then I learned something

That being said, I just installed a 50 amp plug for the camper when at the house which I've gotten adapters to downsize it for the 20 amp plug in for the engine block when the camper isn't there. I plan on using a kill a watt meter on it this weekend. It is calling for our temps to go down to the mid 20s.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #30

Quote:
You might want to investigate that block heater thing. On GMs the cord is actually thermostat controlled (integrated in the cable) and won't operate above -19C or so. I think many brands use this type cable nowadays.

If you're using an aftermarket oil pan warmer mat my comment doesn't apply.
thanks for the info; it is the factory one but it does work at any temp - if I forget to plug it in, I have to wait twice as long for the truck to warm up.

Dave
Old 11-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlooking View Post
I'm ignorant about a great many things (just ask those near me) but I've not heard about the cable being thermostatically controlled. Are you scre about the temp not coming on until -19 C? That is -2.2 F. I would like to believe that my block heater works at a somewhat higher temp than that. If I'm incorrect, then I learned something

That being said, I just installed a 50 amp plug for the camper when at the house which I've gotten adapters to downsize it for the 20 amp plug in for the engine block when the camper isn't there. I plan on using a kill a watt meter on it this weekend. It is calling for our temps to go down to the mid 20s.
I was off by 1 degree. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180418_112012.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	349335

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180418_112020.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	349336
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
thanks for the info; it is the factory one but it does work at any temp - if I forget to plug it in, I have to wait twice as long for the truck to warm up.

Dave
If you're talking about the 2003 Dodge in your sig, yeah, it's probably a very basic cord. Look above and see a GM thermostatically controlled cord. The newer GM diesels with the connection port in the front valence panel also are t-stat controlled. Using a regular cord or bypassing the t-stat will eventually turn on the CEL.

I am not sure about other brands, but logic tells me they are or will be doing the same soon. This has been out there for at least 12-13 years on GM.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #33

Quote:
If you're talking about the 2003 Dodge in your sig, yeah, it's probably a very basic cord. Look above and see a GM thermostatically controlled cord. The newer GM diesels with the connection port in the front valence panel also are t-stat controlled. Using a regular cord or bypassing the t-stat will eventually turn on the CEL.

I am not sure about other brands, but logic tells me they are or will be doing the same soon. This has been out there for at least 12-13 years on GM.
Yep; my 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2008.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 11-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #34

The last truck I ordered is still waiting to be assigned a build date. It's been on order about 6 months. I think you should get your truck ordered now and not expect it anytime real soon. My preference is a diesel SRW short box F350.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #35

Quote:
I was off by 1 degree. Attachment 349335

Attachment 349336
Thanks for helping me grow in knowledge.. I'll have to track down the one in my Ram. If it doesn't kick in till -18C no reason to plug it in till nearing there. With the Ram, the cord is short, barely reaches the top of the radiator. Wish it would at least be able to connect out the front without having to lift the hood.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #36

Hey guys, if I upgrade the tank to 50ish gallons later, will the skid plate be in the way?

Working on a build sheet now.
CrazyCamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCamper2 View Post
Hey guys, if I upgrade the tank to 50ish gallons later, will the skid plate be in the way?

Personally I would build it the way you want it in the end. Always going to be more $$$$ and hassle to upgrade something later than just having it come that way from the factory.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:14 AM   #38

Quote:

If you are after a larger tank you might want to consider a long box. Not sure about Ram but a long box Ford gains you a few gallons of fuel and a bit higher gvwr …. GVWR isn’t necessarily a big deal as the rear axle rating remains the same regardless of box length and many people ignore the gvwr and load to the rear axle rating.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #39

I think you get a 36 gallon fuel tank with the short box but you get a 50 gallon fuel tank with the long box. You also get a higher GVWR and slightly higher capacity tires with the long box.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #40

Would you please check over this build. This is my first Super Duty! My next camper may be a 5th wheel at around 12,000-13,000 pounds. Currently looking a the Cougar half ton 5ers.

Build:
F350 Platinum
6.7L Power Stroke
3.55 Electronic Locking Axle
4x4
Star White
5th wheel prep package
Adaptive Steering
Rapid Heat Supplemental
Upfitter Switches
Engine block heater
Skid plates (not the FX4)
Splash Guards front and back
Hood Deflector
All weather floor mats
Tonneau Pickup Box Cover - Retractable (what do you guys think of this one?)
Wheel locks
Spray in Bedliner
Wheel Well Liner front and back

My biggest question is on the Tonneau Retractable Box cover. I want something that is close to waterproof and locks. Will be storing camping stuff while traveling (have travel trailer now, 5er may be in about 3 years)

Thanks for the feedback.
CrazyCamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
My biggest question is on the Tonneau Retractable Box cover. I want something that is close to waterproof and locks. Will be storing camping stuff while traveling (have travel trailer now, 5er may be in about 3 years)
Image on Ford's website looks similar to the RETRAXPRO XR. Good option for sure. Absolutely love my RETRAXPRO MX. Highly recommend. Definitely mostly waterproof and secure.

Much of the rest of your build is all personal preference of course.

Personally, I'd go with the 4:10 limited slip for added torque multiplication off the line. Mileage shouldn't suffer much I wouldn't think, given that it has a 10 spd trans.

I'd also opt for the A/T tires. Have them on my build and they are Michelins LTX A/T 2. Not sure if Ford outfits the same. Anyway, they offer added traction and still a quiet ride. Great tire. My next set will be the same.

And I'd also forego the skid plates. Unless you are intent on off-roading or BLM camping in the boonies, they are only an added obstacle for performing drivetrain maintenance IMHO.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #42

The bed cover is good.

Humm - with the 10 speed I think 3:55 gears are good.

I might add clearance lights but that is just my personal taste.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel