Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #1

Am I looking at the right toy hauler weight

I'm looking to purchase a Torque T31 conventional towing toy hauler and needing some advice. Here's what I got.
Trailer
dry 9121
GVWR 12,800
hitch 1350

Towing it with a 2015 King Ranch F250 4X4 CREW CAB 6.7L V8
GVWR 10,000
GCWR 23,500
Towing 15,900
Curb weight 6828
GAWR 6100
Will I struggle towing this kind of weight with my truck. Do I need to be looking for a trailer that weighs less. I have noticed on this forum that some people bought to big of a trailer for what they are towing it with. Don't want to be part of that group.
sgordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #2

I would think you should be fine with that combo. I pull a large bumper pull TH as well and as long as your hitch is rated heavy enough for that tongue weight and have a good WD hitch. You will be good. IMO
Old 12-17-2017, 04:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordon23 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a Torque T31 conventional towing toy hauler and needing some advice. Here's what I got.
Trailer
dry 9121
GVWR 12,800
hitch 1350

Towing it with a 2015 King Ranch F250 4X4 CREW CAB 6.7L V8
GVWR 10,000
GCWR 23,500
Towing 15,900
Curb weight 6828
GAWR 6100
Will I struggle towing this kind of weight with my truck. Do I need to be looking for a trailer that weighs less. I have noticed on this forum that some people bought to big of a trailer for what they are towing it with. Don't want to be part of that group.
That combo is going to be "iffy", and I'll tell you why. I have a Keystone Fuzion Impact 303 tow behind with almost the exact same numbers for the Toy Hauler as the one you are looking at. I had a 2011 F250, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7, XLT, which weighs in a bit less than the King Ranch version because of less optional/standard equipment. Towing a T.H., depending on how much you load the garage area (in the rear of the T.H. I assume) will lighten the tongue weight considerably. At first, that seems to be a good thing....taking some of the tongue weight off of the back of the truck and allowing you to stay away from getting close to your payload capacity of the truck. The payload capacity of that truck, unless you have the camper package on it probably is around 2000 lbs (mine was 2148....and remember, it was an XLT, not a King Ranch). Where the problem comes in is when you load the rear end garage area, which will reduce the tongue weight, you now have a situation where you sometimes do not have enough tongue weight and the trailer will want to sway pretty badly. In my case, 13K GVWR of the trailer and I had it loaded for travel scaling at 12,500. The scale ticket also revealed that I just barely had, and I mean just barely....10% tongue weight. The trailer simply would not tow without swaying once I got to 45-50 mph. Keep in mind I was using a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch and it was properly set up. So the only way to fix the sway issue is to be able to add more weight to the front of the trailer, or have less stuff in the rear of it to bring back some tongue weight. Since I couldn't really move the motorcycles to the front or shift a lot of the rear weight forward, I started adding weight to the front of the T.H. I removed the single 12V battery up front and added two 6 volt golf cart batteries, I've added two 60lb sand tubes under my queen bed in the storage area, and I've got a 35 lb barbell plate under my sliding storage tray....all in an attempt to add weight to the front of the T.H. to get more tongue weight and reduce/eliminate the sway issue. Ideally, tongue weight should be at least in the 12-13% range of the GVW of the trailer...and mine was 12,500 lbs when ready to travel. I even filled the 106 gallon fresh water tank to help add some the weight to the front of the trailer. It's not exactly in the front, but it is slightly forward of the axles so that helped with tongue weight. Sounds good so far....right? I'm adding weight up front to offset some of the weight in the garage and how it is reducing my tongue weight. So I finally get enough weight up front that I no longer am having sway issues (that came at about 11.5% tongue weight), which put me right at 1450 lbs of tongue weight. Now, here's the rub. With that much tongue weight, plus the weight of the W.D. hitch I am at about 1525 lbs or so with just the trailer and the hitch.....NO passenger, no cargo in the bed of the truck, no extras in other words. The trailer and hitch have taken a big chunk of my available payload (2148 lbs). And in my case, I had a 42 gallon aux. tank in the bed of the truck for diesel fuel and a cross bed tool box. So, I had used up every bit of my available payload capacity as well as putting the truck right at the 10K GVWR of the truck. I realize that not everyone will have an aux. tank on the truck like I did, but with a 26 gallon truck tank and getting around 10 mpg towing that trailer, the fuel stops were pretty close.....thus the addition of the aux. tank.

So the point I'm making is that the F250 like yours and like the one that I had, are great trucks and they are very capable within reason. With that much T.H. behind you there is a possibility that you may encounter something very similar to what I did.....again, depending on how heavy you load the garage area. And on a side note, I decided that I really didn't want to continue to drive the truck/trailer combination with the weight numbers that I had being right on the edge of overloaded...GVWR and Payload, so I ended up getting rid of the F250 and bought a Crew Cab Dually Ford. I know that it was "overkill" for what it's purpose is, but it also gives me LOTS of room for "expansion" if I decide on a bigger trailer and/or a 5ver at some point.

And just one more thing....I highly doubt the accuracy of the listed curb weight of your truck (6828). My truck had a 2148 lb payload, as per the yellow/white sticker on the driver side door post. So if you take that number and subtract it from the GVWR of the truck (10,000 lbs), you'll see that the truck was in the 7850 lb range....not 6828. Not sure where you got that number from....most likely a brochure or ????
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordon23 View Post
Will I struggle towing this kind of weight with my truck.
Your diesel drivetrain will have no problem pulling that trailer over hill and dale and mountain passes. You'll have power to spare.

But as xrated noted, you may have a problem with exceeding the GVWR (and payload capacity) of the F-250 after you get the trailer loaded and balanced with 12% to 13% tongue weight. And check on the TW rating of your receiver hitch. I don't keep up with the specs on newer SuperDuty trucks, but I suspect the F-250 doesn't rate the OEM receiver at over 1,500 pounds TW.

Quote:
Do I need to be looking for a trailer that weighs less.
Depends on what you haul in the garage of the toy hauler, and in the pickup. You want minimum of 12% tongue weight without exceeding the GVWR of your F-250. (Average hitch weight of travel trailers is about 13% of gross trailer weight, and you don't want to be much below that average.)

If you load the trailer to 12,000 pounds with 12% tongue weight, that's 1,440 pounds tongue weight. Add 100 pounds for a good WD hitch and that's 1,540 pounds hitch weight.

Is your receiver rated for 1,540 pounds hitch weight?

After you subtract 1,540 pounds hitch weight from the payload capacity of your F-250, does that leave you enough available payload capacity to haul your passengers and toolbox and other weight that will be in the pickup when towing?

Quote:
I have noticed on this forum that some people bought to big of a trailer for what they are towing it with. Don't want to be part of that group.
Amen.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

The F250 won't have any safety or legal issues pulling that size trailer.
Fords gives it a 6100 lb rawr that will be carrying all the weight in the bed. You have the truck so weigh its front and rear axles separately. That way you know how much payload can be placed in the bed.

Some folks tow overloaded......some folks have no idea if their overloaded. Scale tickets tell the tale.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here's another wrinkle, What happens when you tow it empty? You will have way more tongue weight empty if you have 1500 or more with the garage full. You will probably be well over 2000 pounds then.

13% of 12,800 is over 1600 pounds and will increase with an empty garage. Toy Haulers create an extra level of load balancing that you must be aware of. More truck is always better for trailers with such varied loading conditions.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Here's another wrinkle, What happens when you tow it empty? You will have way more tongue weight empty if you have 1500 or more with the garage full. You will probably be well over 2000 pounds then.

13% of 12,800 is over 1600 pounds and will increase with an empty garage. Toy Haulers create an extra level of load balancing that you must be aware of. More truck is always better for trailers with such varied loading conditions.
Keymaster......I don't usually tow empty, except when I brought it home from the dealer, but that is a good point. I've got mine set up so that the 106 gallon fresh water tank is part of that "tongue weight" when I have motorcycles and stuff in the back. If I didn't have them in the back, I would simply drain the fresh water tank and tow with it empty. And for a quick note, the 2011 F250 that I had before my Dually had a 1600 lb weight rating on the receiver.....as long as you were:
1. Not using the 2 1/2" to 2" adapter sleeve
2. Using a weight distribution hitch.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:36 AM   #8

Keymaster....another thing to remember, as I alluded to in my previous post, if you load the garage area pretty heavy, you will struggle to keep enough tongue weight and probably have swaying issues.....unless you add weight up front with whatever method you can. My added weight up front, at least some of it, can be removed pretty easily if for some strange reason I would travel with the garage empty. Toy hauler are awesome, but there are definitely some things to be aware of, especially if you own a tow behind.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #9

I find it hard to believe that your F250 6.7 KR only weighs 6828. Most all CC diesels weigh around 7600 lbs empty. 6828 might be right for a gasser model. You'll be close when you load up if you use the trucks CCC.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the explanation xrated. I knew there were some work arounds but never got into the specifics.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation xrated. I knew there were some work arounds but never got into the specifics.
You're welcome. Sometimes a Toy Hauler owner has to be a bit creative to make things work as they should.....weight wise....and especially because some of the garage items just can't be moved to a different location. My wife just wasn't going to let me put the motorcycles in the kitchen or bedroom, so they had to stay in the garage area!
Old 12-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #12

Thanks for all the responses. Going to the truck stop to weigh my truck this weekend.
sgordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #13

I have the Stryker 3212 which is a similar model to the Torque T32. When I load our RZR I back it in to get as much weight near the centerline of the axles as possible. I use the 14K equalizer hitch and there is little to no sway. Even without the RZR in the back it tows very nice for a TT. Just my experience with a trailer like you are looking at. Good luck on your hunt.
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:

But towing with nothing in the garage means the trailer won't be at GVWR
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler, weight