Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #1

Anderson Ultimate Hitch / MORyde Hitch Box .

I have a 2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS with a MORyde Hitch Box and I just bought a 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually with 5 holes in the 8í bed which I think they call the puck system. (There are no rails in the bed) I want to buy the Anderson Ultimate Hitch and this is where I start to get confused. Anderson offers at least 2 models, the 3200 and 3220. I think the 3200 is made to mount on rails and I think the 3220 just sits on the bed. I like the 3220 better because it looks more substantial. Plus I donít want to deal with having rails in the bed.
So my first question is can I use the 3220 ?
Now my second question pertains to the MORyde Hitch Box. The Anderson configuration chart references a MORyde number rpb710-009 which I canít find anywhere. In another thread there is mention of the need to add a MORyde heavy duty skid plate rpb77-006 but I think that applies to a standard gooseneck hitch adaptor which I think is something totally different.(but I am not sure)
So my second question is can I use the MORyde hitch box as is on my RV ?
Also please, I donít want this thread to turn into a gooseneck vs a 5th wheel hitch debate. I made up my mind I want the Anderson Hitch, I want to easily be able to remove it from the truck. I just want to get the right model and make sure it will work with my existing hitch box. Thanks !...CJ
CJ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2020, 06:40 AM   #2

Little confusion when you say moryde hitch box...do you mean it's the moryde gooseneck adapter and you want to tow with a gooseneck hitch? If so your factory puck system doesn't need the Anderson ultimate you can use an OEM gooseneck ball and chain kit bw makes a great one...
Palmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:36 AM   #3

I agree with the above post, we need to know which hitch is on the trailer. Some of their products rotate, which wouldnít work with the Andersen.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #4

The MORyde Hitch Box is mounted to the RV. And it is set up to drop into a standard fifth wheel hitch. You know the big heavy ones you can’t lift out of the truck by yourself. The Anderson hitch goes in the truck bed (weighs 35 pounds) and has an adapter that mounts on the MORyde hitch pin that is on the rv. Then you back up and drop it onto the Anderson receiver hitch in the truck
Old 04-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #5

I assume you are talking about a Moryde pin box . If Anderson does not make a Hitch that fits directly into the pucks you can buy an Adapter by Demco . I bought one for my Ram from Dyers RV on line for about 160 dollars cheaper than Etrailer . Super well built and easy to install just heavy . If they do make a hitch that fits into the pucks then forget the above mention .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #6

Maybe best to call them. I've called a couple of times in the past and they a generally very helpful.

1(800)-635-6106
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #7

Not exactly the same scenario but I had the rail version Andersen and also had a Morryde 1716 style pin box. I was told by MR that I needed to use the heavy duty plate . I passed on that. Didn't use the Andersen/MR combo much but never had issues.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:53 PM   #8

Looking at my anderson mounted up and having seen the puck deal,

1. You should be able to mount an anderson to the gooseneck ball no problem. Im not going to gaurantee that, but i would expect it to mount up like it does to a b&w.

2. Just my opinion, i would relook at a companion for the rails, but im 38 and can toss around 75lbs no problem and dont usually feel it the next day. The anderson has to be lined up pretty close to sink it like a gooseneck, but its not bad since you can see it, but its not as painless as a 5th wheel hookup.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #9

The Andersen web site has a bed shaft adapter to connect the ultimate to your trucks gooseneck puck system that looks to be the cleanest set up for the truck bed, no rails to deal with
Palmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ68 View Post
So my first question is can I use the 3220 ?
Answeróyes. Get a ball to drop in your puck hole similar to this and you are in business. I have been thoroughly happy with the Andersen Hitching/unhitching is easy, no chucking going down the road and easy to remove/install.

REESE 19311 2-5/16" Gooseneck Ball and Head https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004R3AEUC..._2MENEb81N5Q1S
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #11

Andersen 3200 is steel and designed to fit standard bed rails.

Andersen 3220 is aluminum and designed to attach to a goose ball in the bed of the truck.
I also reccomend getting the safety chains and chain tie down points. Safety chains are required in many states and it's cheap insurance.

As to the MORRyde pinbox contact Andersen with the specific model number.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #12

I called MORryde and they said I had to buy a heavy duty skid plate for their hitch box. The stock skid plate on the MORryde is to flimsy and wonít handle the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. I didnít ask the price but I donít understand why I have to pay to beef up their hitch box. So I get off the phone and go to their website to read the installation instructions for the heavier skid plate. It really sounded messy and confusing. It sounds like there are several other flimsy parts inside the hitch box. And at the end of the instructions there were two notes. One was caution and the other was a warning. They beat around the bush but it boils down to they donít want you using a Anderson Hitch on there cheap a#?% hitch box. So I guess I am stuck with one of those heavy antiquated fifth wheel hitches. Very disappointed with MORryde. Maybe they should change their name to LESryde
Old 04-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #13

Sell the Morryde and get a Reese Goosebox pin box. My 12 Ram didn't have the 5th wheel prep kit so I installed rails for a B&W Patriot. Used that combo for around 5 years.
New 2018 truck has the 5th prep kit. I needed to by a rail adaptor to use the B&W.
Knowing what I know now if my 12 had the prep kit I would've bought the Goosebox. No 5th hitch of any kind to deal with. Just a removable ball in the center of the bed.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #14

Can you buy a standard pin box for the camper? I removed our MORyde pin box and installed a Air Trail air bag type pin box and it was not that difficult to install (8 bolts and I even had to drill a couple of holes to match). You can then sell the old MORyde pin box on Craig's List and recoup some of the $$. Another option is to advertise for someone that wants to swap pin boxes, which might be a nice upgrade for them.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote