Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2022, 04:43 AM   #29

Thanks for all the input, guys. Pardon me for not responding to each of you individually.

I appreciate the input on wheelbase and payload. Believe me, with my Highlander I've had to remain very aware of these two issues. Regarding wheelbase, I've often referred to tables like the one found here: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-muc...can-I-tow.aspx
With the trailer length I'm considering, I don't think I'll have an issue with any of the half ton wheel bases, although for non-towing reasons, I would prefer a crew cab with 6 1/2 foot (standard) bed. Not sure it will fit in my garage, though.

Payload capacity is one thing that might steer me away from Ram trucks. Perhaps there are configurations out there that have plenty of payload capacity. But in general they tend to have lower payloads than the other brands, sometimes no more than my Highlander's 1,200 lb capacity. I'm looking at trailers that might have a loaded tongue weight in the 550 - 750 lb range, so I figure I need 1,500 lbs or more of payload capacity.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 04:48 AM   #30

After doing a little more research on reliability, I think I might have to add the 3.5 Ecoboost to my avoid list. Carbon buildup and timing chain stretch seem to be common issues in the 2011-2014 years.

And like the GM 5.3, the Ram 5.7 has problems with the system that cuts out half the cylinders when cruising. As well as issues with lifters and exhaust manifold bolts breaking.

Might have to retract my statement about reliability being equal across brands and power trains. At this point the Toyota 5.7, Nissan 5.6, and Ford 5.0 engines are looking superior for longevity. Toyota has an issue with cam tower oil leaks, but that isn't nearly as serious an issue as the others.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:45 AM   #31

At the age and mileage you're considering, I would believe maintenance records could be more important than any internet rumblings. Finding a well maintained one owner truck could be key. Regular maintenance would pick up most of the issues you've noted and anyone who gives a crap about their vehicles would address the issue as it arose. You seem to be fixated on the motors of all these trucks, what good is a truck with a motor that will run a million miles if the rest of the truck has rusted out underneath it? Just one example.

Some of the issues like the Ecoboost carbon buildup can be addressed with a service like walnut blasting and I don't consider fatal. Sure it's an expense but factor it in, then address it with a catch can and never worry about it again. Only mention the carbon cause I'm familiar with it.

As for wheelbase and ease of driving / parking etc. you just back into spots. My Supercab, 8' bed F-150 has a 163" wheelbase which I believe contributes to how well it tows is easy to park. I can back into any spot my wife can whip her little Tiguan into just as quickly. No you'll never just "drive" straight into a tight parking spot unless you park out on the edges, but I didn't buy my truck for how easy it was to park.

Good luck on your search but don't get tunnel vision.

I love the class A discussions about whether to go gas or diesel pusher. Oh you have to get a diesel, it'll go a million miles, the gas motor will be worn out in 150,000 to 200,000! as said by people who never drive more than 5-10,000 miles a year!
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #32

Google generations of the 3.5 Eco-boost engine. They did have two issues. 1. Carbon build up 2. Timing chain was too long and would stretch.

I believe they fixed both in 2017. Or maybe 2018 but I think 2017. Edit - maybe 2015. I just checked and saw 2015.

Now an engine that we are not taking about is the 2.7 Eco-Boost that was introduced in 2015. It too is an engine to consider if towing under 6,500 lbs. IMHO.
This engine competes well with all other engines of the period. It is built with an stronger Iron Graphite Engine Block. My friend has a 2018 2.7 Eco-Boost engine that he really likes. His truck has a 10 speed transmission.

The Ford trucks are quiet and powerful. I drove my 2011 F-150 Lariat 975 miles (16 hours) stopping for gas only without fatigue. It was a very comfortable drive. I had to get to the travel trailer that was in Florida before the freezing weather hit.

The GM 5.3 is the weakling of the engines. The GM trucks ride like a big car.

The Ram 5.7 is actually a loud, rough and powerful engine that some people like. Ram had the best truck starting in 2019 with the new fancy interior.

Not sure how I would try to mitigate the issues with any engine. I would probably switch to a good full synthetic oils and change at 5,000 miles and probably run high test gas thru it once in awhile. Synthetic oil to try to save the timing chain and turbo. High test gas to reduce carbon build-up.

Use YouTube to research trucks. It is a very good research tool.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
High test gas to reduce carbon build-up.

High test gas won't reduce it any more than regular.

OP, I think you are over analyzing these minor engine problems. Millions of GM and Ram AFM engines have been built and it is not a major problem with a properly maintained engine.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #34

Humm - I thought the detergent package in high test was different than regular. As a matter of my observation I had pinging in my car. I switched to high test and in 3 tank fulls the pinging went away. Then I switched the gas brand. The pinging was carbon build up on top of the pistons.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
High test gas won't reduce it any more than regular.

OP, I think you are over analyzing these minor engine problems. Millions of GM and Ram AFM engines have been built and it is not a major problem with a properly maintained engine.
I don't know, the Ecoboost timing chain failure and the oil consumption problems caused by the AFM don't seem like minor issues to me. Timing chain is an expensive repair, and it seems like the AFM issues can only be remedied by bypassing the AFM system.

Oil consumption issues seem to be very common with the GM AFM system. What I haven't been able to pin down yet is just how common the timing chain failure is on the Ecoboost. If it's just a matter of using the right oil and changing at the right interval, then maintenance records might be enough to put my mind at ease about an Ecoboost truck.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Humm - I thought the detergent package in high test was different than regular. As a matter of my observation I had pinging in my car. I switched to high test and in 3 tank fulls the pinging went away. Then I switched the gas brand. The pinging was carbon build up on top of the pistons.
Stop using crappy gas.
All grades of Top Tier gas have to have the same additive package.
Higher test gas is for higher compression ratios or performance tuned engines.
Is TOP TIER™ only for premium gasoline or diesel?

No. Premium describes a grade of fuel intended for use in performance engines with higher compression ratios, which may be damaged when using lower octane grade fuel. TOP TIER™ fuel marketers are required to use TOP TIER™ for all for all octane grades of gasoline and diesel sold at their stations. TOP TIER™ is a standard in fuel many automakers feel is necessary for acceptable engine cleanliness performance for all vehicles, regardless of octane requirements. All engines will benefit from a higher standard in cleanliness resulting in a vehicle performing as intended: noticeable in longevity, reduced down time, minimized emissions, and higher customer satisfaction.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
At the age and mileage you're considering, I would believe maintenance records could be more important than any internet rumblings. Finding a well maintained one owner truck could be key. Regular maintenance would pick up most of the issues you've noted and anyone who gives a crap about their vehicles would address the issue as it arose. You seem to be fixated on the motors of all these trucks, what good is a truck with a motor that will run a million miles if the rest of the truck has rusted out underneath it? Just one example.

Some of the issues like the Ecoboost carbon buildup can be addressed with a service like walnut blasting and I don't consider fatal. Sure it's an expense but factor it in, then address it with a catch can and never worry about it again. Only mention the carbon cause I'm familiar with it.

As for wheelbase and ease of driving / parking etc. you just back into spots. My Supercab, 8' bed F-150 has a 163" wheelbase which I believe contributes to how well it tows is easy to park. I can back into any spot my wife can whip her little Tiguan into just as quickly. No you'll never just "drive" straight into a tight parking spot unless you park out on the edges, but I didn't buy my truck for how easy it was to park.

Good luck on your search but don't get tunnel vision.

I love the class A discussions about whether to go gas or diesel pusher. Oh you have to get a diesel, it'll go a million miles, the gas motor will be worn out in 150,000 to 200,000! as said by people who never drive more than 5-10,000 miles a year!
Good point about considering more than just the engine. I fully intend to, just starting with the engines given the original topic of the thread.

I'm not so much concerned about parking in general, I'm just wondering whether a longer wheelbase truck will physically fit in my garage. I've only got a little over 17' to work with, maybe a few more inches if I move some junk.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
Good point about considering more than just the engine. I fully intend to, just starting with the engines given the original topic of the thread.

I'm not so much concerned about parking in general, I'm just wondering whether a longer wheelbase truck will physically fit in my garage. I've only got a little over 17' to work with, maybe a few more inches if I move some junk.
I have to park my 1/2 ton Crew Cab Silverado outside. My 97 extended cab Silverado would just barely fit. Cabs have gotten longer since then, even the extended cabs.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Now an engine that we are not taking about is the 2.7 Eco-Boost that was introduced in 2015. It too is an engine to consider if towing under 6,500 lbs. IMHO.
This engine competes well with all other engines of the period. It is built with an stronger Iron Graphite Engine Block. My friend has a 2018 2.7 Eco-Boost engine that he really likes. His truck has a 10 speed transmission.
Yep...another excellent option. Many users on the F150 forums pull TTs 6K-7K with the 2.7 to rave reviews. Much easier to find in the 2.7 iterations of the F150 vs. the 5.0 or 3.5, is one equipped with the heavy duty payload package (6900 lb GVWR, I believe).
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:55 PM   #40

The 2.7 eco-boost will also get 24 or 25 mpg on the highway. Probably, not towing you could not tell if you were driving a 3.5 or 2.7 eco-boost truck. On my 2011 F-150 I got 20.5 mpg highway. With the 36 gallon fuel tank it was easy to go 700 miles before needing gas.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:44 AM   #41

Quote:
The 2.7 eco-boost will also get 24 or 25 mpg on the highway. Probably, not towing you could not tell if you were driving a 3.5 or 2.7 eco-boost truck. On my 2011 F-150 I got 20.5 mpg highway. With the 36 gallon fuel tank it was easy to go 700 miles before needing gas.
Wow, what a luxury. I'd have to pee long before I hit the 700 mile mark, though.

My Highlander has a 19 gallon gas tank, and I'm usually getting a little under 10 mpg when towing, sometimes as low as 8. I have to plan out every fuel stop, because the difference between 1/4 tank and out of gas can be as little as 38 miles.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:40 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post

Mine wouldn't, it's a full 20' bumper to bumper...
bross is offline   Reply With Quote