Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Be sure to look at options each truck has like power towing mirrors, factory 5th wheel prep, back up cameras etc. that make hitching easier.

There is a yellow label on the door sill of each truck that tells the payload capacity for that particular truck, not a truck in the brochure. Each truck will have different numbers based on options and configuration. Some 3500s have very little payload more than a 2500 so know how to read that sticker. What you are looking for is the line that says ..."cargo and passengers not to exceed xxx pounds". That is your cargo capacity.

Find out who the area sales rep is and ask him for a fleet manager. Those guys usually know more about heavy duty trucks since they specialize in supplying large companies and municipalities with work trucks. The average salesman at a given dealership usually has little knowledge of trucks other than how to work the displays and connect your bluetooth.
Thank you keymastr, we'll ask those questions and look at the sticker. We are learning some things from you all on this forum. So glad you all are there [emoji2]
annsmpsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarmancity View Post
Most 3500 are SRW, you don't have to DRW on a 3500.
I shall shut up and let others post.
Thank you for speaking up, we don't want a dually. I will be driving the truck everyday, the easier the better for me.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarmancity View Post
YW, Yes taking your time and doing your research is a very good idea. We spent a year looking at trucks and 5th wheels, before we bought our truck. We know what trailer we want and are just waiting to find a good dealer near us before we pull the trigger.
I hope you all get what you want very soon. We found Highland Ridge, they are a new company, just a few years old, we really like their 5th wheels, especially their Roamers. There are so many companies and manufacturers out there, that's what we researched, instead of the truck so much. Lesson learned
Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
The specs do say towing capacity is just over 17,510 (4x2) short bed to 17,020 (4x4) long bed. But there is more to it than that.

The combo of truck, occupants, cargo, accessories, hitch, and fully loaded 5th wheel have to stay below the GCWR of 25,300...

And also...GVWR of 10,000#. Truck, fuel, occupants, cargo in truck, accessories, 5th wheel hitch, PLUS actual PIN weight of the 5th wheel. Estimate 20% of the loaded weight of 5th wheel. If you load your 5th wheel to 14,000...the pin weight could be around 2800...add another 250# for the hitch...and your up to 3050# of cargo in the bed. Easy to go over GVWR...

Lastly...the actual axle weight rating for each axle.

So saying 17,000# is glossing over the subject

There are excellent worksheets available...and only by weighing the truck on a CAT scale are you going to know where to start in your estimations. I think you might be close...worth doing the calculation. And your 5th wheel will never be "empty" after batteries, water, holding tanks, pots, pans, grill, chairs, hoses, propane, food, clothes, tools, cords, sewer hoses, etc....all get thrown in.
Thank you for informing us well. We will take all this to heart and follow what we can of your advice.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
Before I bought my Ford F-350 dually I told the dealer I wanted to weigh it to verify the payload cause I'd been burned on an F-150. I took it to a scale with the salesman and it was 5660, sticker said 5850 and I was good with that! The pin weight on my 5th wheel is 3820 loaded, gvwr of 18k.

Every trucks payload is different, get plenty of extra so you don't have to worry. My truck weighs about 8700 loaded, it's GCWR is 32k!
Figure 20%+ over trailers GVWR and have at least another 500+ pounds of payload for everything else. Good luck!
Thanks so much for your thoughts and good advice Oldelevatorman. [emoji2]
Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
#1, Welcome to the forums, and to the RVing community. I'm sure you will love it, and congrats on the opportunity to full-time. We are looking at that ourselves in a few more years and can't wait.

#2, I'm with most of the other guys, I would say if you are going full-time and going to do it in a good size 5th, I would step up to the 3500. And that's coming from a guy who loves his RAM 2500. The 2500 would probably work, but if you are backing down from home ownership and I assume to only one vehicle, go bigger. Not sure I would recommend the dually, they can be a little tight maneuvering around the grocery store parking lots, etc. But by all means, drive one and see what ya'll think.

#3, Being very new to RVing, might I recommend you travel to a local campground or two and ask some questions around the park. Find a KOA or other reputable campground. One thing you will find out about us RVers, if there is one thing we like talking about and discussing, it's our home on wheels. You will meet some of the friendliest folks (I know we always do) and they will give you the ins and outs of vehicles and RVs. As someone else mentioned, be cautious about listening to what you are told at the dealerships, both at the truck lot and the RV lot. The truck dealer will tell you his product will pull the White House down the road and the RV dealer will take one look at what you are driving and tell you it will pull anything he has on the lot. DO your research, bring your questions back here if needed. You will find some learned folks on here, who will give you real world numbers and answers based on experience. Let us tell you what we have learned the hard way so you can skip that part yourself, lol.

Best of luck, keep us posted on how it goes!!
We would love to go talk to some people at an rv park, hoping we can do this before we purchase our truck. When I say full timing, I mean full time rving, but, still working full time also. We will have 2 vehicles. Life is good!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
The Braking on the vehicle is designed to accommodate the weight of the ratings specified by the manufacturer. Really...the only upgrade, which may be useful is helper spring/air bags...which help support heavy loads to keep the truck riding Level. An option commonly chosen by people with truck campers in the bed.

Yes, definitely. The 5th wheel comes with brakes. Normally electric brakes. You're truck will come with a 7-pin trailer connection in the back...and the truck will either come with a short wiring adapter....or have a pre-installed controller in some models. Anyway, a brake controller is needed, which monitors your brake application and sends a proportional electrical power to the brakes on each wheel of the 5'r. Tekonsha P3 is a very mice unit with easy configurations for different trailer weights, types. Instead of draping the cord over the tailgate...you might install a plug inside the truck bed. They make a kit which simply tees into the factory plug...so you can have a remote plug inside the bed.

Tow mirrors...good option in the truck...otherwise you'll need the add-on types.

The 7-pin plug also has a charge line to share some alternator power with the 5th wheel. Mostly to make sure the breakaway system of the 5th wheel keeps charged up.

The weight of the transfer case and the truck bed are subtracted from the Cargo Capacity... If you need 4x4... get it, but if you do....just know that a percentage of it's weight is subtracted from what you can tow. Truck bed is almost a wash...The longer bed weighs more...so subtracts --- but a short bed makes it very prudent IMHO to opt for a heavier 5th wheel hitch like the Superglide. It is a hitch which mechanically slides the plate aft when making sharper turns to avoid having the front cap of the 5th wheel from contacting the rear window. Again..I would buy what you need.

Ratings have gone up...but back when ai bought my Quad Cab 2500... I got a short bed 4x4...loved it. But I also stayed with an Ultralight 5th wheel...empty weight down around 8-9k #... I think everyone agrees...this is kinda your chance to have the extra by getting a 3500. If your 3500 can handle it...get a hitch rated for it's capacity, not your current Fifth Wheel. That way, if you guys decide you want to trade up to a heavier model, you won't be reinventing the wheel, by having to upgrade the hitch at the same time. Just back up and connect

Congrats...enjoy!!!
You really know your stuff C.Martin, thanks for sharing. We are learning a lot!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #50

When you are looking at the trucks, if at all possible, get the integrated brake controller.

Can't say I like all the current gizmos newer trucks have, but the integrated brake controller is tied into the truck computer. That means if the truck detects a bad sway with the trailer, it will start braking the trailer independently. Generally won't allow you to lock up the trailer brakes. Works with the cruise control and abs.

Not sure I have meet anyone who doesn't agree the factory one is the best. But understand, the factory one can not be retrofitted. Has to come from the factory with it.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsmpsn View Post
We found Highland Ridge, they are a new company, just a few years old, we really like their 5th wheels, especially their Roamers. There are so many companies and manufacturers out there, that's what we researched, instead of the truck so much. Lesson learned
I know we're talking trucks, but take a closer look at Highland Ridge, and who owns them and who they "were".
https://www.highlandridgerv.com/about/
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
When you are looking at the trucks, if at all possible, get the integrated brake controller.

Can't say I like all the current gizmos newer trucks have, but the integrated brake controller is tied into the truck computer. That means if the truck detects a bad sway with the trailer, it will start braking the trailer independently. Generally won't allow you to lock up the trailer brakes. Works with the cruise control and abs.

Not sure I have meet anyone who doesn't agree the factory one is the best. But understand, the factory one can not be retrofitted. Has to come from the factory with it.

Mark
Thank you Wileykid, we will definitely look into that. The rv books we bought, don't have the info I'm getting from you and others on this forum. I'm going to compile a list so when we go to the dealership and when we talk by phone and email, we'll have all the right questions to ask and info we need to get the right truck.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
I know we're talking trucks, but take a closer look at Highland Ridge, and who owns them and who they "were".
https://www.highlandridgerv.com/about/
Normal_dave
Since we are brand new to this whole rv culture, we don't know much about the different manufacturers or companies or their histories.
We went to some rv shows in amd around San Diego, looked at 5th wheels, then looked a lot on Rv trader, then went to the different rv lots here in So CA.
We liked these because they didn't have any carpet in the living areas at all, had 4 slide outs, 1 1/2 baths, 2 bdrms, outdoor kitchen and they were kinda light.
And had w/d hookups in the kitchen.
This will be our 1st purchase and we're wanting it to last.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsmpsn View Post
Normal_dave
Since we are brand new to this whole rv culture, we don't know much about the different manufacturers or companies or their histories.
We went to some rv shows in amd around San Diego, looked at 5th wheels, then looked a lot on Rv trader, then went to the different rv lots here in So CA.
We liked these because they didn't have any carpet in the living areas at all, had 4 slide outs, 1 1/2 baths, 2 bdrms, outdoor kitchen and they were kinda light.
And had w/d hookups in the kitchen.
This will be our 1st purchase and we're wanting it to last.
Be careful of not having carpet in the slide. We looked at a Highland Ridge that had the slide cover in the same linoleum as the main living area. On the edge of the slide where they put the flap it had a couple punctures in it. could've been from a lady's high heel shoe or I guess something else.
Linoleum in the living area is great. Not so great in the slide.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're trailer is loaded to 17,000 you will have a minimum of 3400 on the pin(hitch). You'll need at least 4000# of payload to account for the hitch weight, passengers & cargo in the truck. That's going to be at least a 1-ton SRW minimum. Hitch weights can be higher too. Mine is 3820 on a 5th wheel weighing 18,000. I have a dually with a payload of 5650 which the dealer let me take to a scale before I bought it! Good luck with whatever you choose and happy Trails!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #56

Ok, so I'm getting on the train a little late, and having trouble with my geography. Are you going to be near Kentucky when you are ready to buy the truck, or is that just the dealer you liked?

We have a great family-owned Ram dealer near us in Georgia (West of Atlanta, near the Alabama border), that specializes in Ram HD trucks. The Tradesman package is a wonderful value if you want the most for the least. This dealer also handles lots of out of town buyers, including "fly and buy" but still treat you like "kinfolk".

They stock quite a few Tradesman package trucks and order nearly all of them with integrated brake controller, popular equipment group, and chrome appearance package. So if it's not too far out of your way, give them a call and compare them to others. It's a big ticket purchase, might as well make it an adventure!

Example 3500 SRW:
New 2017 Ram 3500 Tradesman For Sale in Bremen GA | 3C63R3CL8HG775350 | Serving Atlanta, Douglasville a & Carrollton

When shopping for Rams, always click the window sticker link to see how the particular truck you are looking at is equipped. (for towing) Ram also offers the Fifth wheel prep package as an option. Now, these days, not sure you can go wrong with any of the big 3 brands in HD towing, but for the dollar, if you don't want lots of dress up stuff the Tradesman is the hot ticket IMO. If you buy used, you can paste the VIN after the "=" sign in the following link, then hit "enter", and get the sticker for the used truck as well.
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...3R3CL8HG775350

Dually Tradesman with fifth wheel prep, 3.73 gears, trailer brake control, backup camera. Sweet.
http://www.jamesonealchryslerdodgeje...3949ca44d1.htm

Since you live in San Diego, allow me to "muddy the fifth wheel water" a bit. Have you looked at Outdoors RV? Not much built as tough as these... you are full timing, and about to write a big check, might as well get something for it that can survive the road and the climates.
ORV | Glacier Peak F30RKS

Glacier Peak Mountain Fifth Wheel Trailer Video
https://youtu.be/uTnEn60A8pM

This is where ORV really shines, construction video:
https://youtu.be/Yfh_DXLo6l4
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote