Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #15

I have always been a MOPAR guy,,, we looked Dodge trucks, but this Chevy had some things Dodge did not. As said before, most people post problems, not the thousands with no problems. That said, DEF is a Problem. Our work trucks (class 8) have DEF problems A LOT... Be it any brand. My 15 Chevy just went in the shop for a DEF tank heater. 22K miles... I love the truck,,, BUT,,, geez,,,,, All said it's a crap shoot... Good luck.... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #16

With the modern emissions laden diesels, one factor that plays into reliability and longevity is how they are used. The newer emissions diesels don't fare as well as grocery getters, short trip vehicles, excessive idling, etc. So how one uses it when they are not towing or hauling can make a significant difference in reliability. That is just the engines themselves. The trucks are another matter.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #17

Ive driven all of them ALOT and have my opinions. My current company truck is a 17 ram 3500 crew srw. Its a yuge improvement over the previous generation as far as the truck goes. Its got 74k on it. Its had one injector replaced at 69k, power steering pump at 40k, and something is up with the motor. I dont know what but it sounds like a rattle can at 50% throttle over 2000 rpms. The cel is also off and on alot. I rank this dodge as decent.
13 f350 had 140k on it when i quit the last company. It had something screwed up with the doser for the def and always smelled like regen. It was a good truck otherwise.
15 silverado 2500hd: no issues at 120k.
05 sierra: at 400k the blower speed selector was screwy, mirrors didnt work, ran awesome original engine and trans.
Today id say its a matter of which seat fits your butt the best and then delete the emissions. Youll get better economy and longer engine life. Even with a mild tow or economy tune the power is incredible.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
With the modern emissions laden diesels, one factor that plays into reliability and longevity is how they are used. The newer emissions diesels don't fare as well as grocery getters, short trip vehicles, excessive idling, etc. So how one uses it when they are not towing or hauling can make a significant difference in reliability. That is just the engines themselves. The trucks are another matter.
Cowpie1 hit the nail on the head, but of course there are always outliers. My 2012 chevy has had a couple of DEF related issues but have not been left stranded, yet!!
Old 12-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Today id say its a matter of which seat fits your butt the best and then delete the emissions. Youll get better economy and longer engine life. Even with a mild tow or economy tune the power is incredible.
I see a lot of kids running around blowing smoke out the pipe. IMHO, any pickup smoking should be stopped and checked. If there is something wrong with the truck owner should be given a reasonable time to get it repaired and rechecked. But if that vehicle has been modified to increase the chance of emissions, that truck should be towed in and scheduled for auction to somebody that can repair and use in a responsible manner...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I see a lot of kids running around blowing smoke out the pipe. IMHO, any pickup smoking should be stopped and checked. If there is something wrong with the truck owner should be given a reasonable time to get it repaired and rechecked. But if that vehicle has been modified to increase the chance of emissions, that truck should be towed in and scheduled for auction to somebody that can repair and use in a responsible manner...
Rolling coal is stupid and its terrible for the motor. I have heard that there is a very small number of shops that will hold a truck hostage if its non epa compliant. This is easy enough to beat and a good reason to make sure you can pass a visual. Gut the dpf and electronically turn off the egr and youre golden.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 2014 Ram CTD and the only issue aside of recalls has been the DEF freezing up. My buddy has the same truck except it’s a 2012 model and pre def. Mine is better on fuel but I trade that to not have def. I’m definitely going to look at a delete once my warranty is expired. The individuals who came up with the DEF system should have spend sometime owning one of their trucks where we live. Poorly thought out design and I question if they ever considered where the trucks would operate. The cheesy DEF heaters don’t cut it. I’m looking at wrapping my tank with a battery blanket to see if that works. Thankfully I have a garage and that’s where I keep the truck. If I had to keep it outside it would already have been deleted. As far as reliability goes that’s that’s the one thing I have to consider when travelling in the winter so it doesn’t freeze up.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Rolling coal is stupid and its terrible for the motor. I have heard that there is a very small number of shops that will hold a truck hostage if its non epa compliant. This is easy enough to beat and a good reason to make sure you can pass a visual. Gut the dpf and electronically turn off the egr and youre golden.
In my class 8 trucks, I have had the power turned up to max the manufacturer would allow for that size engine. None of the electronic engines would show any smoke after warmed up.
And in the poor part of town, smoke from a old sedan, the owner will likely have to replace the vehicle, because not worth the cost to fix.
I'm not sure about a shop holding the vehicle, but if LEO sees smoke, stop them, call in somebody with a reader. Like I say, if there is a wear issue causing the smoke, owner has a time period to fix. But if the program has been changed, call the tow, the truck now is property of the state, to be auctioned for repair or scrap.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
In my class 8 trucks, I have had the power turned up to max the manufacturer would allow for that size engine. None of the electronic engines would show any smoke after warmed up.
And in the poor part of town, smoke from a old sedan, the owner will likely have to replace the vehicle, because not worth the cost to fix.
I'm not sure about a shop holding the vehicle, but if LEO sees smoke, stop them, call in somebody with a reader. Like I say, if there is a wear issue causing the smoke, owner has a time period to fix. But if the program has been changed, call the tow, the truck now is property of the state, to be auctioned for repair or scrap.
Ive heard of a few instances where a shop has held a truck until the owner has paid to have a truck brought back to epa compliance. Most shops wouldnt risk having their name tarnished like that.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:23 AM   #24

From a recent article on this......

In addition to two-truck owner-operator Dennis Paulhamus of DJ Paulhamus Trucking, one of those charged, regulators brought action against the shop that installed the devices for him, Sweitzer’s Garage. All five pleaded guilty and await sentencing.

The fines they face aren’t pocket change for small businesses. Penalties for truck owners caught tampering with emissions systems are as high as $4,619 per violation. For shops, it’s 10 times that — $46,192 per violation.

https://www.overdriveonline.com/engi...l-engine-mods/

Also from the same article.....

But shops are willing to unwind these modifications, says Ethan Fortuna, lead electrical engineer for Pittsburgh Power. “It’s actually something we’ve been doing a bit more of — when they have been tampered with,” he says. Being a Cummins-certified shop, the company is not allowed to have illegally modified engines on its grounds unless it’s for the purpose of repairing the emissions systems.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
From a recent article on this......
Well, to start, Overdrive is aimed at commercial operators of class 8 trucks. Guys that have gambled thousands of dollars in hopes of working for a living. (I dropped out of that group. The guys with the newer, more fuel efficient trucks setting rates that I could not match, had a lot to do with it.) The $5000 fine if they get caught is a good start, but not sure they are targeting the right group. Need a truck to work, know there is a chance of repeating high dollar repairs, or a chance of large fines? Not quite the same as the desk driver that spends his money for a pickup to haul his toys knowing that others are having issues with the trucks hauling their toys? But if I buy it, then I can change it illegally, but make it work? Wouldn't a better plan be to leave the new trucks set at factory until they figure out how to make them both meet emission regs and last?
Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #26

OverDrive is targeted to commercial truck owners and operators, but hardly limited to Class 8. They have articles on all the commercial trucks from the bottom to the top. It is industry related, not class of vehicle related.

True enough, the article is talking about class 8 truck owners. But it also talked about how Bully Dog got blasted for 6.5 million bucks, and they are heavily into the pickup truck arena.

And it shows that the EPA is cranking up enforcement. it will not be long till they will hold the auto/pickup dealers accountable if they turn a blind eye to a vehicle that comes in that has had the deletes done.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I know most only post when they have a problem, but I would like to hear from those who have a 5 year old or newer diesel pickup with over 100,000 trouble free miles. Just concerned with the problems that could strand you. I'm hoping that there are far more reliable trucks out there than not, but it seems with all the reports of breakdowns that even after paying $60,000 plus your still destined to get stranded before reaching even 100,000 miles!

I’ve read many suggestions for extended warranties. If you go that route be sure to dot i’s ant cross tees with manufactures guidelines. Our truck is in shop after buying with 98k on odometer and now having 115k and blown motor. The third party warranty company said I didn’t have cooling system flush and fuel filter changed as per 100k from rd service recommendations even though the local ford dealer was told by me to do “THE WORKS”. Only reason I bought the truck was for warranty. Now we can’t get a lawyer to even call us back to consider our case. So We are spending 17k on a new motor with a 1year unlimited mile warranty reman motor maybe this warranty will be better who knows. The shop doing work also told me that they had a warranty denied because a trucks tires were one size bigger than factory specified tires. Just my experience and 2 cents. Good luck and happy adventures.
Sddamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #28
laj

this is exactly why my son and nephew have decided to buy used p/u’s and have me scatter them out in my shop and completely rebuild them from the ground up. when i get done with them they will look, drive, and smell just like new. taking them clear down to bare frame, frame will be first maged, then triple dipped, and everything new from there up. expect to be less than a new p/u, with no emission bothers about a yr. project.
haven’t found mine yet, gotta be the right one. new is not always better, and not even sometimes as good.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel