Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #1

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.. TV

I am in search of a new tow vehicle... I've been trying to do my homework reading many post and just getting info that's already out there. I currently have a TT that I can pull with my 2003 chevy tahoe... It's time to upgrade the Tahoe and going for a truck because eventually I will want to upgrade to a bigger trailer. I'm trying to go with a chevy although I'm not sure if a 2500hd will be too much or should I go lower? Also I'm not trying to go brand new either but buy something used.... What year would be a decent buy? How many miles is too much for a truck? I retire from active duty in two years and would like to have my rig ready. Thanks for any tips or suggestions anybody has....
robledjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

You can never have to much truck. A 1 ton is your best option IMO. They don't cost much more than a 3/4 ton.
As far as year make model goes, idk.
6_Riders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've been reading that this may be a good time to buy a used vehicle. Rental companies are hurting and need to liquidate inventory. Auto dealers are also hurting. There may be a flood of used vehicles on the market hopefully making the price go down.

If you are not sure what type/size of RV you may upgrade to I'd go with the larger truck and get decent towing capacity. Make sure it has sufficient hitch and towing capacity for the maximum size RV you think you'd ever buy. You may also look at diesels as the engine will last longer and be better capable of towing larger loads.

A friend of mine bought a nice F150 truck but was surprised that it wasn't set up to pull the 25' Airstream he had bought. He ended up buying another F250 diesel to get the job done.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #4

A single rear wheel 1 ton pickup is not much bigger than a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck and can haul "a lot" of trailer. It also makes for a very easy daily driver. I moved from a Dodge Ram 1500 hemi, to a F350 single rear wheel Platinum edition with the Powerstroke and it was a joy to drive and tow our 5th wheel (went from a 30 ft bumper pull with the Ram to a 40ft 5'ver).
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #5

Get whatever fits your butt best as far as brands. A srw 1 ton is about the same size as a half ton depending on what bed you choose so thats my vote. Diesel or gas will get the job done but due to modern emissions, diesels can be higher maintenance.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #6

I really appreciate everyone's inputs... That's why I like forums like these because you get honest opinions and from people who actually own a truck or know a lot about towing vehicles... I can't imagine going into the dealership asking these questions because all they want to do is sell.. I'm actually leaning towards a bigger truck just for the fact that I don't want to regret it later on when I upgrade my trailer. Once again I really appreciate everyone's inputs.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #7

I'm also all about safety since I'll have my family with me so I rather pay for a better and safer ride.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:19 PM   #8

Once you settle in on a range of years and engine type (gas or diesel) then come back for more information. Each make and model had their not so good production years and this forum has enough experience to share the nitty gritty.

For instance, I’d stay away from the 2008-2010 Ford with the 6.4 Power Stroke. Nice truck, but numerous issues with the motor and emissions system those years.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:47 AM   #9

I tow my 21' travel trailer with a 2500HD Chevy crew cab.... It's my truck and my trailer and I like both, and won't ever change for a lighter truck.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:08 AM   #10

Welcome.
The 3/4 ton or one ton trucks are so much better. No worries re towability, no over weight concerns and much better brakes. Go for the diesel. A real pleasure to drive. Yes maintenance is a bit higher but the overall benefits are great. The GMC, Chev units are excellent. Go for a fiver. Much nicer to tow. Very stable in crosswinds, no white knuckling.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I've been reading that this may be a good time to buy a used vehicle. Rental companies are hurting and need to liquidate inventory. Auto dealers are also hurting. There may be a flood of used vehicles on the market hopefully making the price go down.
'cause Avis and Thrifty have so very many 3/4T trucks in their fleets... (sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:03 AM   #12

Grand Design Owners Club
I tow equipment trailers for my job. I could have done most of this with the 3/4 ton truck, but chose to go with the 1 ton truck instead. Best decision I ever made. I currently have a 2015 F350 single wheel and with the 6.7 diesel, which gets excellent fuel mileage and is very quiet. I would recommend looking for a used F350 with the 7.3 Diesel engine. The 6.7 diesel has been a good engine thus far, but the 7.3 diesel has great track record. As usual with most things, the 7.3 diesel was outstanding, so they quit making it! Some may disagree with this next statement. Another reason to go with diesel and as long as you are getting fuel at truckstops, you don’t have to be concerned with getting in and out of the fuel islands while hooked to a trailer(regardless of size). Good luck and thank you for your service!
Ramblingpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #13

Awesome feedback! I hope this post also helps others in my situation. I have a car as my daily driver and the truck would be used for the trips and locally in my area... I've actually looked at deasel but many people have told me it's more expensive and only go for it if I actually do a lot of heavy towing like construction jobs and not just to drive as a daily. What do you guys think about that?
Old 05-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
I tow my 21' travel trailer with a 2500HD Chevy crew cab.... It's my truck and my trailer and I like both, and won't ever change for a lighter truck.
What year is your truck if you don't mind me asking?