Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #43

Check out Revelco .. passive but unbreakable. Semi-fleets use it !!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #44

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGhost View Post
Just returned from the dealer having the beast serviced for the upcoming trip. Took a look around the dealer lot..... EMPTY!. They received a total of three super duties after over six weeks of waiting. Two were sold in one hour and the third later that day. That brings me to my question, if mine were stolen (which is easy with these stupid proximity keys) and I were traveling, I'd have a REAL hard time replacing the truck to get my rig home. That said, I did some research and had a security system installed that disables the truck unless you have this special key. It was a little pricey but hey, cheap insurance when you consider the un-availability and the overall cost of this truck.

Talking to the installer, who's real busy in south Florida by the way, says his biggest customers are fleet owners and F250 owners. Seems this truck is highly prized not only because its a beast, but because its so easy to capture the codes and steal the rig.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Might also consider Hidden GPS theft tracking devices?
Old 07-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #45

FOB Reprogramming

Funny, I needed a new keyless fob programmed for my Santa Fe. It only took the dealer 4 hours "while I waited". A good thief would have it done in a couple of minutes. Now that I think about it, they were probably screwing me around because only the dealer can do this and I did not buy the fob from them. Oh well lots of free coffee and hot chocolate while I waited.
MGM in YYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #46

Tracking device. Then you can drop the perp off at the morgue on your way home
bgkoontz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:35 PM   #47

would not be a problem...if they also got the payments.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:42 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dval View Post
Isn't that one of the reasons we buy insurance ?
Yes, but not being able to replace a stolen truck is a problem!
hitlinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #49

Red face Easy fix

The fix is LoJack. One and done,

[/FONT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGhost View Post
Just returned from the dealer having the beast serviced for the upcoming trip. Took a look around the dealer lot..... EMPTY!. They received a total of three super duties after over six weeks of waiting. Two were sold in one hour and the third later that day. That brings me to my question, if mine were stolen (which is easy with these stupid proximity keys) and I were traveling, I'd have a REAL hard time replacing the truck to get my rig home. That said, I did some research and had a security system installed that disables the truck unless you have this special key. It was a little pricey but hey, cheap insurance when you consider the un-availability and the overall cost of this truck.

Talking to the installer, who's real busy in south Florida by the way, says his biggest customers are fleet owners and F250 owners. Seems this truck is highly prized not only because its a beast, but because its so easy to capture the codes and steal the rig.

Any thoughts or experiences?
505scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #50

Our 2000 F-250 was stolen this spring and the catalytic converter cut off of it. There was no other damage and only some trivial personal items taken. Watching the neighbor's Ring footage, it took them less than 3 minutes. They bashed the ignition. The repairs were about $2400 (and a 3 week wait time for parts) plus it now has an alarm and GPS monitor installed on it and I make sure to park it out of sight. The morning it was stolen was the only time I parked it in view from the street because of the prospect of snow which makes it harder to get out of it's normal parking place. F series thefts here in the Pacific NW are off the chart with little to no consequences for the thieves.

Another hot theft item are newer Travel Trailers.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
we must be related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Charles View Post
Just like my identity, if they took my truck they would give it back when they found out what they got.

Been saying the same thing for years. If they want my identity, take it. I cannot even change it on my own. lol
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftBoat Driver View Post
Check out Revelco .. passive but unbreakable. Semi-fleets use it !!!
Just to be very clear here NOTHING that is digital is unbreakable. Very,very tough to break yes, completely unbreakable, no. Heck they even get into the Department of Defense.

As to the OPs question, no I don't worry about anyone stealing my truck.. That's why I buy insurance. I refuse to live my life in fear of losing material possessions, it takes too much energy away from the rest of my life.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:12 PM   #53

Protecting your Prox key

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
The Houston area is seeing an increase in stolen vehicles parked on driveways. Thieves quickly break into a vehicle, start the engine and drive away. I was surprised to learn from news reports that vehicle key fobs sitting on a kitchen counter have a strong enough signal to allow an engine to be started. The news reports suggested purchasing a "faraday" bag to store a key fob while the vehicle is parked at home --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085VHFLDZ...jaz10cnVl&th=1
I am a locksmith. I deal with car keys every day. We replace lost keys and program vehicles to accept the the new keys we make. I can shed some light on this issue. With regard to Proximity keys, they wont work to start the car (using the in-dash push button) when the key is outside the vehicle. (Remote start works differently) HOWEVER, the bad guys have built a signal repeater that requires 2 people, usually with backpacks housing the equipment. One walks around your house to pick up the signal from your key. It is then relayed to the guy near the car. His backpack relays the key signal to the car. He can touch the door handle, open the car, start it, and drive away. Once the key signal from any Prox key, or even a chip key, has been received by the car, the car doesn’t need the key anymore unless the car is turned off. The bad guy drives the car to his home base and then simply programs a new key to the car. The keys and programming equipment, while expensive, are widely available online. You can protect against this form of attack by LOCKING your car with the REMOTE (which sets the alarm) and then storing your key in a metal container as simple as a coffee can, a metal saucepan with a METAL lid, Altoids tin, etc. I tried some of the faraday pouches and they were useless. If you dont lock your car, a Prox key can be programmed by the bad guy in a matter of minutes without fear of the alarm sounding. For example, I can program a key to a push to start Nissan in under 5 minutes. I hope this gives you an understanding of how this works.
Lockpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #54

faraday keyfob case

Upgraded Faraday Bag for Key Fob (2 Pack),Premium Faraday Key Fob Protector– Car RFID Signal Blocking, Car Security Protection Pouch, Anti-Theft Pouch, Anti-Hacking Case Blocker
Wolf222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #55

Truck Theft

We have an F250 Ford pick up truck. A couple of years ago it was stolen from our driveway at 4:30 in the morning. Our motion lights came on and our camera system caught the thief on camera. However, the thief was wearing a hoodie and could not be identified. Took the guy two minutes to Slim Jim the door, put a puller in the ignition lock, pull the lock, stick a screw driver in the ignition, start and drive away with the truck. Total time was two minutes. Luckily, the local police found the truck about a month later. Insurance paid several thousand dollars to repair all the damage the thieves did to the truck. The police said the F250 is the second most stolen vehicle. Because of their power they are used to commit other crimes such as ripping out ATM machines or theft of construction equipment. Thieves also remove and replace the original owners license plates with plates stolen off other vehicles. There were four sets of stolen plates in our truck when it was found by the police. Often thieves will steal just the tailgate because they are simple to remove. Our truck now has a whole host of alarms and theft deterrent devices which can be annoying to disable if we want to drive the vehicle. Additionally, we have installed decals and painted the truck with markings that boldly distinguish the truck from other white Ford pick up trucks.
Note that the thieves used a power grinder cut off wheel to cut the trailer hitch off our truck. So, if you are towing a boat or RV trailer take appropriate steps to secure that vehicle as well or you might loose both at the same time.
Stay safe and secure out there..
JK
John Kaehms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:37 PM   #56

We had a Ram 3500 we towed our 5th wheel for 12 years with. When we got it, my husband had Car Roys put a kill switch that the truck would not start without it being on. It was in a spot you really had to know where it was to use but easy to reach. Wasn’t very expensive.

Jill & Odin
Former 5th wheel owner
Now new owners of 2017 Dynamax Force FRC37TS motorhome which we still need to name!
Nellieluce is offline   Reply With Quote