Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

Anybody worried about Truck theft?

Just returned from the dealer having the beast serviced for the upcoming trip. Took a look around the dealer lot..... EMPTY!. They received a total of three super duties after over six weeks of waiting. Two were sold in one hour and the third later that day. That brings me to my question, if mine were stolen (which is easy with these stupid proximity keys) and I were traveling, I'd have a REAL hard time replacing the truck to get my rig home. That said, I did some research and had a security system installed that disables the truck unless you have this special key. It was a little pricey but hey, cheap insurance when you consider the un-availability and the overall cost of this truck.

Talking to the installer, who's real busy in south Florida by the way, says his biggest customers are fleet owners and F250 owners. Seems this truck is highly prized not only because its a beast, but because its so easy to capture the codes and steal the rig.

Any thoughts or experiences?
2021 Grand Design Solitude S 2930RL-R (#5)
Navy Vet - InfoSec Examiner/Auditor
SGhost is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #2

Isn't that one of the reasons we buy insurance ?
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

Yes.. big deal right now.. because there I a shortage on just about everything.. long wait times.. can you post the brand on what you used and who installed ? Some of us might need one.. thanks..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #4

Just like my identity, if they took my truck they would give it back when they found out what they got.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #5

Proximity keys and fobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGhost View Post
Just returned from the dealer having the beast serviced for the upcoming trip. Took a look around the dealer lot..... EMPTY!. They received a total of three super duties after over six weeks of waiting. Two were sold in one hour and the third later that day. That brings me to my question, if mine were stolen (which is easy with these stupid proximity keys) and I were traveling, I'd have a REAL hard time replacing the truck to get my rig home. That said, I did some research and had a security system installed that disables the truck unless you have this special key. It was a little pricey but hey, cheap insurance when you consider the un-availability and the overall cost of this truck.

Talking to the installer, who's real busy in south Florida by the way, says his biggest customers are fleet owners and F250 owners. Seems this truck is highly prized not only because its a beast, but because its so easy to capture the codes and steal the rig.

I discussed this recently. Keep your key in an RFID bag, box or metal receptacle when you get home. You can do the same in a purse, harder in a jeans pocket.

Even though I have a typical mechanical key I installed a hidden fuel pump cutoff on my old truck. I even have a backup in case the switch fails,all easily accessible but very hard to find. Cost me about 15$ in materials and 45 minutes of my time.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The Houston area is seeing an increase in stolen vehicles parked on driveways. Thieves quickly break into a vehicle, start the engine and drive away. I was surprised to learn from news reports that vehicle key fobs sitting on a kitchen counter have a strong enough signal to allow an engine to be started. The news reports suggested purchasing a "faraday" bag to store a key fob while the vehicle is parked at home --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085VHFLDZ...jaz10cnVl&th=1
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
The Houston area is seeing an increase in stolen vehicles parked on driveways. Thieves quickly break into a vehicle, start the engine and drive away. I was surprised to learn from news reports that vehicle key fobs sitting on a kitchen counter have a strong enough signal to allow an engine to be started. The news reports suggested purchasing a "faraday" bag to store a key fob while the vehicle is parked at home --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085VHFLDZ...jaz10cnVl&th=1
I am going to say, without investigating in detail, that if the key is not physically in the vehicle, you can't start my Nissan or my Chevy. The range to unlock the door is a bit greater than I would expect on my Chevy, haven't really tested the Nissan to see.

I may play with this a little this weekend to see.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #8

Yep the truck shortage is real , I had been looking for about 4 or 5 weeks , never had luck with finding the truck I wanted (too small of a fuel tank, wrong transmission ,wrong rear end ratio ) when a dealer here in Florida posted on their web site 4 trucks in transit 2 were lacking the puck system and wrong gear ratio so they were out ,but the other 2 were exactly fitted with all I wanted, the only difference was the interior color , now these were all posted the night before , I called the next morning and put down a deposit sight unseen to hold it and it arrived to the dealer about a week later and we went the day it arrived and finished the purchase , the other 3 were gone all purchased before they even hit the lot that's how high the demand is at this point .
Old 07-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #9

I see you are in Ocala Area , We purchased from Ocala Ford and yeah we were probably on of those buyers if that is where you were talking about
Old 07-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I am going to say, without investigating in detail, that if the key is not physically in the vehicle, you can't start my Nissan or my Chevy. The range to unlock the door is a bit greater than I would expect on my Chevy, haven't really tested the Nissan to see.

I may play with this a little this weekend to see.
the range to unlock my 17 Edge is about 3-4 feet.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGhost View Post

Your installer is using, let's call it marketing... Your code can't be stolen. Most stolen trucks are pre-2007 when keyless start was rare and the codes were just broadcast to the open air. They could be repeated, so that someone could open your door by boosting the key's signal from inside your house, or just recorded and used to make a new FOB. After 2007 it got harder, and since 2016 the codes rotate. Even if someone got your code, it wouldn't work for them. Newer Ford FOBs even go to "sleep" after 40 seconds of not moving. Set your keys down in your house for 40 seconds and the FOB stops transmitting any code. It won't start again until it gets within about 6 feet from your truck.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #12

Hello All,

This is exactly why I speced my new truck without the proximity sensor and push button start. You have to have the key to get mine going (or break the steering wheel lock). The video below explains how it is done and how to prevent theft of trucks with proximity sensors.

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #13

If you lock your truck by manually pushing the lock button there is no code to steal .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Your installer is using, let's call it marketing... Your code can't be stolen. Most stolen trucks are pre-2007 when keyless start was rare and the codes were just broadcast to the open air. They could be repeated, so that someone could open your door by boosting the key's signal from inside your house, or just recorded and used to make a new FOB. After 2007 it got harder, and since 2016 the codes rotate. Even if someone got your code, it wouldn't work for them. Newer Ford FOBs even go to "sleep" after 40 seconds of not moving. Set your keys down in your house for 40 seconds and the FOB stops transmitting any code. It won't start again until it gets within about 6 feet from your truck.
Oh contraire amigo.......

https://www.hagerty.com/media/mainte...y-fob-hacking/

Hackers are nothing if not persistent. The tools used are evolving just as fast as the technology if not faster. Too much money involved.

I keep my fob in a faraday pouch and I had a Revelco system installed. If they want the truck and they can get past me, the doberman (Mavrick) and a few other deterrents, good luck. Otherwise bring a BIG friggin flatbed cause you ain't driving this beast anywhere.
2021 Grand Design Solitude S 2930RL-R (#5)
Navy Vet - InfoSec Examiner/Auditor
SGhost is online now   Reply With Quote