Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #15

Tesla model X. Depending on configure 4000 or 5000 pounds. (You didn't give a budget sooooo...
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #16

You need something with a frame to tow anything of significance. There is just nothing but sheet metal to bolt to on a unibody.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A used older town car is something I will take a look at.
Going back to the 2010 model year, the regular Town Car had a max trailer weight (tow rating) of 1,500 pounds. The "L" model was "not available for towing". I don't keep up with Lincoln models, but I'd guess the "L" model is the long wheelbase limosine version. The Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis were the same drivetrain and had the same miniscule tow rating.

Quote:
If I start looking at crossovers and SUV my mind might explode with all the options.
Look hard at the Toyota Highlander. We have an F-150 3.5L EcoBoost for towing our various trailers, but our family car is a 2017 Toyota Highlander V6. With the V6 engine, the tow rating is 5,000 pounds.

The only complaint I have with our Highlander is it didn't offer a nice tan or light gold paint. We live in the west Texas desert, so we ordered white with tan interior. But so did numerous others, so we see "our" car all over the place around Midland.

We love the Highlander as our family car. It replaced a Toyota Venza which was also a Camry-based crossover. I would have bought another Venza, but Toy ceased production. The Venza was closer to the station wagon that I really wanted, and none of the affordable brands still offer station wagons. I'm not willing to pay for BMW or Benz or even a Chinese-owned Volvo station wagon, so I have to buy a so-called crossover SUV.

We bought the Highlander because Li'l Bro had one for over 10 years and no problems with it at all. Plus we've had excellent reliability from all our Toyotas going back to our 1986 Camry, and Li'l Bro has had excellent reliability from his Toyotas going back to a 1973 Corolla. My son now has a 22-year-old 1995 Corolla we bought new that just keeps on keeping on. My "grocery-getter" is a 2017 Corolla that gets 32 MPG at 80 MPH. So yes, I'm a big Toyota fan. But Toyota doesn't offer a towing machine comparable to the F-150 with 3.5L EcoBoost twin turbo, so our tow vehicle is not a Toyota.
https://www.toyota.com/highlander/
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #18

Interesting dilema since virtually all compact and mid size SUVs are based off of sedan platforms. Maybe the issue resides with hitch availability and or mount points. I wouldn't be too keen on pulling a heavy watercraft out of the water on a steep wet ramp with a front wheel drive car; no limited slip, weight shift and front end unloading due to tongue weight.
CecilD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #19

My guess is that manufactures are wary of publishing high tow ratings on sedans because of softer suspension and (often) shorter wheelbases. The drivetrains can probably handle 2500 lbs or more, but the potential poor handling (Remember the Famous Ford Explorer debacle?) probably makes the boys in Legal break out in a rash when weights over 1500 lbs are mentioned.

And let's not forget profit. Much higher profit in the SUV and Light Truck market than in the sedan market.

As Smokey already mentioned, a reliable SUV like Highlander, Pilot, MDX, RX350 can make a really safe and secure tow vehicle. I have towed over 20K with my 2014 MDX. Pulls 3200 lbs like it's not even there. (5K Lbs. tow rating).

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #20

The tow rating in the owners manual for my Lincoln Town Car Limited Ultimate is 2,000#. It has a 3.23 axle and real factory dual exhaust (not single split into two pipes after the catalytic converter). It accelerates much better than the Grand Marquis I had. 4.6 engine, 24-25 mpg @ 70mph. Very, very reliable, but they quit making them a few years ago.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #21

bluepill - cool camper. I always liked the A frame look.

I got a letter today from a local dealer. It basically says used vehicles are not selling and to cone in and see the new lower used vehicle prices. I will check it out.

Also, my resistence to a SUV/Crossover is me just being stupid. I try not to follow trends. But have to agree with the utility of such vehickes. I really like the Acrua MDX and Lexus RX. Also about 2 dozen other SUV/Crossovers. From the Highlander to Ridgeline to Lincoln MKX to Nissan Pathfinder.

In the past I used a Lexus LS 400 to tow a small boat. Maybe I need to look at a used Lexus LS 430....or even LS 460 if not too expensive. Those are nice cars.

Also my reseach, the 2004 - 2007 Toyota Highlander is only 184" long and can tow 3,500 lbs. This would easily fit in the garage.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Pooh-poohing the jeep wrangler for consumer reports ?!? now that's funny

It may not be a comfortable car and thus downplayed by people that got it for the wrong reasons, but about every 10th care in our area is one, and it is a great toad for many, many on IRV2.

Mine has a tow rating of 350 TW and 3500 GTW and is like a go cart ever since I got the wider wheels and tires.

good luck on your search.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:14 PM   #23

Some cars/ wagons that will tow 2,000 lbs or more:
Ford Flex tall wagon
Lincoln MKT tall wagon
Volvo V60 wagon
Volvo V90 wagon
Volvo S60 sedan
Volvo S90 sedan
Subaru Outback
Old 11-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #24

Thanks Desert Flyer - I looked at a MKX but not an MKT. Volvo is out. No local dealers or shops to fix things.

I will look at the Subaru outback. I have heard good things about them as well as the MKT.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #25

We have a Flex with the towing package and I would highly recommend looking into it. It and the Lincoln MKT are the same vehicle minus styling and options in some cases. It is rated at 4500lbs with the towing package. We have the 3.5L Ecoboost and it tows like nothing is behind it. I have towed long distances with loads between 2000-4000lbs without issues and it also has trailer sway control which is very helpful.

Only draw back I have seen is the fuel economy, when towing 4000lbs I get around 12-14mpg at 65-70MPH. Still not horrible but that is the only issue I have found while towing with the Flex.
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #26
tcg

I had a hitch put on my 4 cylinder 2010 Malibu for a bicycle rack.

I just used it to tow a 6 x 10 trailer with my dad's very large Cub Cadet tractor. I loaded the tractor towards the back of the trailer to keep the tongue weight manageable.

It towed fine, didn't even know it was back there.

No idea what anything weighed or what the towing capacity is.

I'm a bad, bad, driver but I needed to transport the tractor and it's what I had.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #27

Just looked at the owners manual from my daughter's Ford Flex and her non-ecoboost version is rated to tow 3500#. Very versatile vehicle with lots of storage space and rear seat legroom. Almost no road noise at hwy speeds. It can be towed 4-down, too (2wd version). Its 3 years old now and never had a repair.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #28

My 2013 outback is rated for 3000 lbs
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow